What's new
What's new

K&T 2HL Univ. 1943 Project Coming Along....

Will McRay

Aluminum
Been working on this mill off and on due to life and work. Had to fix some broken bolt issues behind the clutch pulley, oil leak at the vertical rapid and coolant pump shafts and fix one telescoping joint on the forward Y axis. Motor was not securely mounted when I got it so I addressed that and new belts. Flushed oil system and she runs good. Took this week off work to re-engage the project and finally got it stripped, primed and painted. Rust oleum charcoal grey oil based. Thinned, mixed and sprayed. Close to the original color I believe. Few more things to do and she will be back in service.
04299d4d74c1af14b2c844ef0563e552.jpg

b788281698e6fa484c982e89ad1533ca.jpg

ce1a32de2e258af93adc18035ad96db8.jpg

4e8c6a76de2f933ae62badf949c6f3d0.jpg

d25f2c86c64e7cf23e86927160ef8c78.jpg

e99a3e50ae2c89f3a2725b505fa47259.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking good! The war tag is cool. I just picked up my first K&T. Mine's a 2ch from 1957. Looking forward to using it. Stout machines!

Jeff
5fc8cb1ab8a8fcc5805ed97aa5583171.jpg
79cb0210379056f3d70094a5c3ef07e6.jpg

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

1943 2hl Universal

Hello: Mine is the same model, same year..Mine has a 3hp Westinghouse three phase motor with oil rings for lubrication ... I had to make one new bushing for the take off end of the motor.. If you have the same motor, be careful to not set your belts up too tight or you will be making the same bushing for yours....Use light bodied cutting oil for coolant..Your coolant pump will get along better and you won't have the dead dinosaur carcasses in the sump every six months... Mine came from the U.S. Navy..Cheers; Ramsay 1:)

Attachments

• DSC00002.JPG
    DSC00002.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 75
Shell cutting oil but have used gear oil in a pinch.. Good anti wear anti weld characteristics.....Cheers; Ramsey 1:)

Thanks!

I had been looking with the eye I'd have the wheelie-cart with all the tanks, pumps, and plumbing, nothing on the machine-tool but quick-connect fittings, even the sumps closed-off in favour of diversion to off-board recovery.

Two types of juice. Whole shop.

One of the lesser-known Ho-Cut SKU famous for low-maintenance longevity, and one "TBD" neat oil, Old Skew sulfurized stinky brown most likely,'coz I grew up off it and Big Box have it in the plumbing section, a Mobil product, maybe.

I'll have a look at the Shell, mayhap cross to a Chevron.

I don't own stock in Shell! Chevron sends those nice dividend checks!

:D

Hello: Mine is the same model, same year..Mine has a 3hp Westinghouse three phase motor with oil rings for lubrication ... I had to make one new bushing for the take off end of the motor.. If you have the same motor, be careful to not set your belts up too tight or you will be making the same bushing for yours....Use light bodied cutting oil for coolant..Your coolant pump will get along better and you won't have the dead dinosaur carcasses in the sump every six months... Mine came from the U.S. Navy..Cheers; Ramsay 1:)

Thanks for the tip. Wish I had that dividing head.

Looks good but where is the lime green war finish??...Phil

WPB Limitation Order No. L-108
VICTORY
Official Weekly Bulletin Of The Agencies In The Office For Emergency Management
Washington, D.C.
May 5, 1942
Volume 3, Number 18

Fancy painting and finishing of metal-working machinery banned

Fancy painting and finishing of metalworking machinery by machine tool builders were to be banned after April 30, the WPB announced April 27. Limitation Order No. L-108, effective April 27, provides that only one coat of primer or sealer may be applied to new metal-working equipment. No filler may be applied and not more than two coats of paint, enamel, or lacquer may be used. Any color other than "old machine-tool gray" for the final coat of paint is prohibited. The order was Issued, the Board stated, to reduce the time required for delivery of machine tools and to free the space now used for finishing, for more productive work.... Cheers; Ramsay 1:)

No one in their right mind would put the dark hi Sulphur thread cutting oil from Home Depot in a machine tool other than a pipe threader.

Yah I'd like to do better, but..

Good job our arsenals didn't know what you know. We'd have lost three wars in a row.

Korean War was hot when it got into my DNA as a kid sneaking into the machine halls of Watertown Arsenal - then making cannon 24 by 6 at a combat speed, baled steel chips being hauled out on narrow-gauge rail and off to main line railcars to go back for smelting.

Stench of stinky-brown was the smell of WINNING!

:D

Thanks for the tip. Wish I had that dividing head.

The dividing head is still fairly common.. The low lead box, WITH ALL THE GEARS, however, is not.....That lead box cost me 800 bucks and at the time I didn't have it but I financed it...I knew that was a once in a lifetime thing... Heck, if I keep that mill a little long enough, (I'm 68), I might be able to put it on ebay and build a new house! LOL.. Cheers; Ramsay 1:)

No one in their right mind would put the dark hi Sulphur thread cutting oil from Home Depot in a machine tool other than a pipe threader.

Yeah, that's too expensive.. I use to use 90 hypoid because we had barrels of it at work and it was free.....Since I am retired, I now have to buy the things that were "goodies from work"... Cheers; Ramsay 1:)

WPB Limitation Order No. L-108
VICTORY
Official Weekly Bulletin Of The Agencies In The Office For Emergency Management
Washington, D.C.
May 5, 1942
Volume 3, Number 18

Fancy painting and finishing of metal-working machinery banned

Fancy painting and finishing of metalworking machinery by machine tool builders were to be banned after April 30, the WPB announced April 27. Limitation Order No. L-108, effective April 27, provides that only one coat of primer or sealer may be applied to new metal-working equipment. No filler may be applied and not more than two coats of paint, enamel, or lacquer may be used. Any color other than "old machine-tool gray" for the final coat of paint is prohibited. The order was Issued, the Board stated, to reduce the time required for delivery of machine tools and to free the space now used for finishing, for more productive work.... Cheers; Ramsay 1:)

That is pretty cool!

Nice machines! Here is my 3K. Working on paint/grime stripping before putting the table leadscrew back in and painting.PXL_20201105_134222057.jpgPXL_20201105_134229750.jpgPXL_20201105_134239260.jpgPXL_20201105_134247642.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Back