What's new
What's new

K&T 2K and 3CH Vertical Head

EarlF

Cast Iron
Will one of you guys tell me if the vertical head accessory for a K&T 2K will work on a K&T 3CH or if it can be adapted to work?

Thanks, Earl

Same dimensions - both have the 4.250" over arms. All lots of such always include to two since several of the main castings were shared. "Lot such and such - 2K / 3H horizontals"

Thanks John, I am beginning to get a little excited about this machine.

Serial number points back to a lot of 50 machines completed in 1952. The description is "2CK-3CH CSM Machines-Horizontal". Anyone know what the CSM means?

Not yet:D Maybe someday that info will come along. The term was also applied to the big "production" bed mills.

Thanks John, I am beginning to get a little excited about this machine.

Serial number points back to a lot of 50 machines completed in 1952. The description is "2CK-3CH CSM Machines-Horizontal". Anyone know what the CSM means?

I am doing the same thing. I've got the vertical attachment off the 2K but have not attempted to put it on the 3ch. I just assumed that it would fit. Maybe I better get a little more friendly with it and check it out. Tim

Tim,

I got a copy of a 1956 Replacement Parts Manual and it shows the same accessory heads and part numbers for both the 2K and the 3CH among others.

Well, I don't know what CSM stands for but they seem to be differentiated by horse power. A 20hp CSM is the same size as a 7.5 to 10 hp 3H/2K class machine and a 30hp CSM is the same size as a 10 to 15 hp 4H/3K class machine. So roughly twice the power.

In the K&T CSM sales brochure, they keep talking about reducing costs and the resulting savings.. Could they been referring to " cost saving millingmachine"

Well, I bought the machine. Was the only bidder so 499.95 plus tax. Kind of sounds like a paint job or a Cal Worthington automobile but there it is. Was originally a navy machine went to a college and was last operated in 1993, Really kind of blown away by the 2" X axis feed screw.

Here is a link to the listing:

Kearney Trecker Vintage Milling Machine Model 3CH 10HP | eBay

Curious what you all think.

Regards, Earl

Looks unabused - maybe it did not have to work very hard in its 62 years. The earlier (3H) version of this in the '39 catalog had but 16 speeds - I suppose that changed during WW2 to just make it with 2K 24 speed innards.

Well, it is out of the college and in the hands of the mover. I am getting more excited about the machine and I think I will find it to be in very nice condition. It was retired at the college in 1993 when the instructor who used it to teach an advanced milling course retired. It spent the next 20 years in one of two corners in the shop and was only recently moved out under the carport. The missing elevation hand crank was located and quite a bit of tooling was also included. There are 4 arbors with a myriad of spacers, a number of 50 taper tool holders, a boring head, and a large number of horizontal cutters of various sizes and shapes. A mid sized Japanese Brown & Sharpe pattern dividing head was also included. Unfortunately, the outboard arm support and the 2d arbor support were not found but maybe the ones from a war vintage 2K will fit. Most disappointing is the lead attachment to drive a dividing head was also not found nor the original K&T dividing head so I will be on the hunt for those items.

It is interesting that this is a HP 3CH but all of the K&T material I have found never mention such an animal. They all seem to address a 7.5 HP 3CH and a 10HP 4CH.

Regards, Earl

Last edited:
A friend's 2K had the 10HP motor, may not of been original. The '57 catalog says the 3CH Universal came with 10HP

John, that likely explains it as this has the universal table but has the 10hp legend rather than universal. Once again you have the answer.

Thanks, Earp

Sorrow and Woe

I am exceedingly sorry to report that the machine made it to Santa Paula unscathed but did not land that way.

051.jpg 052.jpg 053.jpg

I have no excuses, I had a niggling of concern but did not speak up and you can see the result.

So, going forward, It seems the first thing I need to do in trying to put things right is to remove the table which, I think will let me assess more clearly what the damage is. I have a replacement parts manual and access to an older 2k plain for any parts that will fit and I am hopeful that it can be returned to service. In looking at the parts manual it seems that the table may be able to be lifted off if the end caps are removed, the screw unscrewed from the nuts out to the right side, the hand wheel release shaft removed (also to the right) and the gib removed.

If anyone has removed the table from one of these machines before and can comment I would appreciate it.

Sorrowfully,

Earl

Unfortunate, but, what the hell is the table doing extended Away from the center of the machine. I certainly hope the operator wasn't traveling with the forks that high. Oh well, some people just can't have nice things.PB

Exploratory Surgery - So Far, So Good

The machine reached its intended destination last Friday morning with no further damage. The far left end of the table screw was broken and bent. The exposed portions of the front elevation and y axis control shafts were also bent but not broken. The table would not rotate and there is damage to the cross feed bracket casting.

So far the table screw has been removed which required sawing off the bent portion in order to remove the left side end cap and bearings. However, the actual screw portion seems to be fine and can be repaired.

The table has been removed as well as the universal swivel block. This disclosed some additional damage to some of the table swivel & locking parts but again it all appears to be repairable.

085.jpg 086.jpg 089.jpg093.jpg 094.jpg

Who knows what the next few days will reveal but I am hopeful that this machine will come back to life with a few parts in her that I have made myself.

As the tale continues, I have gotten to the point that I would like to remove the splined table feed shaft (part 36 in Fig 15 in parts manual) I have removed the front cover or "Feed Distribution Box Dial Plate" which reveals this:

112.jpg

The feed shaft is the one on the right side and has a threaded hole in the end. I am thinking it is for pulling but I suppose could be for jacking or non of these. At any rate, if anyone out there knows the answer I would appreciate it.

Another question regards the cover plate around the table cross feed screw shaft in the center of the picture. It is held with 6 socket head screws which have been removed. There are also 4 additional holes in the plate that are threaded for a no 10 screw. If any one knows what these holes are for I would also appreciate the sharing of that knowledge.

Thanks,

Earl

Back