What's new
What's new

K&T 2KM vs 2K spindle speed

Smike740

Aluminum
Hello,

I am in the process of looking for a K&T 2K horizontal mill for my home shop. I have located a 2KM and from what I can tell the main difference vs a 2K is the spindle speed range only goes to 750 rpm vs the 2K’s 1500 and the table max feed rates are lower as well.

I tend to overthink things and I am wondering if the lack of having a higher spindle speed will be any issue. It seems like most larger cutters that would be used on this size mill would never use the upper part of the rpm ramge however it seems like most of the K&T lineup has a 1500 rpm max arbor speed with some being higher yet.

Also if anyone is aware of other differences between the 2KM and 2K horizontal I would appreciate the advice.

Thanks,

Mike

The KM was the low buck version - also had but 16 speeds instead of 24 like the K

Basically a big heavy mill with Model H guts

Discontinued early in the war

2KM - 3KM manual can be emailed if you care to Private Message me that address

As far as speeds most all "saw type" cutters for the horizontal (circa 1940 and HSS) ran much slower than even 750

A 4" cutter on an arbor would be running 100 SFM at 100 RPM

Screen shot from 1939 full line catalog

20210701_175644.jpg

Only 15 years prior the top speed was less than 500

The KM was the low buck version - also had but 16 speeds instead of 24 like the K

Basically a big heavy mill with Model H guts

Discontinued early in the war

2KM - 3KM manual can be emailed if you care to Private Message me that address

As far as speeds most all "saw type" cutters for the horizontal (circa 1940 and HSS) ran much slower than even 750

A 4" cutter on an arbor would be running 100 SFM at 100 RPM

Screen shot from 1939 full line catalog

View attachment 323903

Only 15 years prior the top speed was less than 500

Thanks for the info, I wondered why they would remove some of the speeds. I will send you my email info via PM for the manual. Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the info, I wondered why they would remove some of the speeds. I will send you my email info via PM for the manual. Thanks in advance.

Well phooey! SO far I have yet to find what I thought I had - a scan of the 2KM 3KM manual

Maybe I getting too old for such activities:confused:

Okay, found it

Well phooey! SO far I have yet to find what I thought I had - a scan of the 2KM 3KM manual

Maybe I getting too old for such activities:confused:

Okay, found it

Thanks again for the manual it is helpful. Also the screenshot of the catalog above has lots of good info although I can’t quite read the standard equipment details. Any chance you can add another screenshot of that area of the page again zoomed in? Thanks for your help and advice.

Thanks again for the manual it is helpful. Also the screenshot of the catalog above has lots of good info although I can’t quite read the standard equipment details. Any chance you can add another screenshot of that area of the page again zoomed in? Thanks for your help and advice.

I'll email the larger resolution this AM and see if I can wake up the old HP 7400c for a real scan - after I unrivet the catalog which has been done before

On Edit....actual scans emailed

Last edited:

Back