What's new
What's new

K&T 3CH added to shop

Smike740

Aluminum
Good Morning,

I recently picked up a K&T 3CH to add to my vintage equipment. The mill came with a nice heavy duty vertical head attachment and so far everything operationally checks out. I am in the process of cleaning it up and look forward to using it and will be seeking advice here from time to time. Unfortunately the mill didn’t come with any arbor supports for horizontal milling. If anyone has knows where I can pick them up from I would appreciate it.

ThanksF8ACCD6B-95DA-46C3-9E2C-7E48C2383A70.jpg7EAC7D08-B5B6-4D86-8F9D-27F9FBD6B323.jpg

Nice! I just got a K&T 2H myself!

I was on ebay last night looking at K&T stuff, and thought I saw several arbor supports.

You will need the 4.25" bore jobs

This will be the later job that you have to have belts off when you are figuring out which way to run the motor - its a no-no to run input pulley the wrong way

Vintage machinery has a very long list of K&T pubs

Kearney & Trecker Co. - Publication Reprints | VintageMachinery.org

have fun

Yes, thanks to all the info I read in advance on this site I was careful to pull the belts before powering the motors to check rotation. As you mentioned there is a "zero" speed sensor on the main drive pulley that only rotates one direction. I imagine if you ran it backwards it would quickly break and good luck on finding a replacement.

I was a bit worried about damaging the fragile looking motor leads when rewiring the 4 motors from 440 to 220V but everything went smoothly. So far so good.

I also used the trick of using a timber suspended from a hoist to strike and free up the overarm supports, the vertical head had been on the machine for the last 50 years and the arms took a few hits to loosen up.

Lots of good knowledge on PM, Thanks!!

Can anyone help me? Just bought a 1952 K&T 10hp 3CH all works except when we try to change spindle rpm or move the start lever to position closest the machine it shuts off the entire machine, I'm thinking its a relay but not sure??? Thanks for any tips

Can anyone help me? Just bought a 1952 K&T 10hp 3CH all works except when we try to change spindle rpm or move the start lever to position closest the machine it shuts off the entire machine, I'm thinking its a relay but not sure??? Thanks for any tips
Take a picture please. It could be a short on a wire if you have a handle above the machine that you pull and push to engage the spindle.

Good Morning,

I recently picked up a K&T 3CH to add to my vintage equipment. The mill came with a nice heavy duty vertical head attachment and so far everything operationally checks out. I am in the process of cleaning it up and look forward to using it and will be seeking advice here from time to time. Unfortunately the mill didn’t come with any arbor supports for horizontal milling. If anyone has knows where I can pick them up from I would appreciate it.

ThanksView attachment 325502View attachment 325503
I used to rebuild several of these machines in the old days. The hydraulic gear pump has a tendency to wear out and if you ever need to pull the transmission out of the knee, there are a few things you need to sequence before hand. Lance Baltzley a good friend to Adam Booth (Abomb) down in Florida has a good friend who was a service tech for K&T before he retired, probably not many left....email me and I'll forward it on to Lance. [email protected]

Back