What's new
What's new

K&T Goodies in Texas at auction

Brandenberger

Hot Rolled
Hi,
Someone should grab this stuff... it is too far away so I'm posting this :)

Looks like a k&t dividing head?

Dividing Head w/ 8" 3-Jaw Chuck (Location: Machine Shop)

and a tooling cabinet that seems to have change gears, perhaps other useful gears, etc.?

Lot of Tooling for K &T Horizontal Mill, (Lot 209) (Location: Machine Shop)

The contents of the tooling cabinet look like some useful parts, though not sure whether they'd only fit the No 3 also for sale:

KEARNEY & TRECKER No. 3 TF Series 310 Horizontal Mill, s/n 18151, 15-1500 RPM, 14" x 70" Table, 1

-Phil

That mill would be great fun to have but I bet it would collapse my garage floor and drop straight to China. What, 5000-10,000 lbs?

3TF weighs more ? the series that has TWO knee screws

DH is Model K, suggesting it came with the 3TF - I.E. - the one with 8" indexing plates

The 18151 isn't the serial. If I take away the "1" and look for lot 8151 I get 20 each 2TF completed June 1958

Some pics from the mill auction:

21.jpg 20.jpg 22.jpg 23.jpg 24.jpg

I know the area of the auction, couple hours from me. I might take a shot at bidding on the tools and dividing head. The mill I'd have to think about. :D I'd have to make room, that I don't currently have. And I'd like to finish current projects before starting another. :D Would be a fun project I bet.

The horizontal spindle is No 50, I'm wondering about the spindle of vertical head. Be nice if it was No 40, I could use that tooling.

Dont think you are going to find a #40 taper anywhere near a Twin Frame #3 KT. Of course the mill is a horizontal, maybe the "smaller" swing out vertical heads had smaller taper spindles? Would love to get something at that auction by the way, even though that dividing head looks a little rough.

There are some low lead gears in that cabinet and probably more goodies in the back of it.
1:96 worm/wheel
1:24 or 8:24 wheel
1:96 wheel
8:24 worm

The drive gears on the top shelf look similar to my 3CH. They use a centering plug in the spindle and the drive gear gets bolted to the spindle.

maybe the "smaller" swing out vertical heads had smaller taper spindles?

The VERY similar sized, but not quite same configuration, vertical head I have here is 40-taper.

It hasn't been near a K&T since as early as 1960 when adapted to a USMT "Quartet" combo mill.

John had looked it up, years ago - War Two build date IIRC, but I cannot find the data he onpassed as to WHICH K&T series it had been intended to fit - given I have no K&T at all!

:D

That auction is about 40 miles from me. I would love to go to it, I'm afraid I'd come home with more iron I don't need.
Don't know what is involved with registering for the auction to be able to go in and look at this stuff. Don't know if it is all in the same building of if it is spread out over several buildings. Alcoa is a big place down there on Point Comfort and I can't hold up to a lot of walking or I'd offer to go look at some of this stuff. Just from the pictures, most of the stuff listed is on the ragged edge of being junk. That was not a clean place, ever! Ken

That auction is about 40 miles from me. I would love to go to it, I'm afraid I'd come home with more iron I don't need.
Don't know what is involved with registering for the auction to be able to go in and look at this stuff. Don't know if it is all in the same building of if it is spread out over several buildings. Alcoa is a big place down there on Point Comfort and I can't hold up to a lot of walking or I'd offer to go look at some of this stuff. Just from the pictures, most of the stuff listed is on the ragged edge of being junk. That was not a clean place, ever! Ken

The auction for contents in the entire plant is actually spread into 4 different auctions, on four different days. The auctions have multiple locations in the plant. Most of the machine shop stuff is on auction "day one".

To register to bid requires a $1000 deposit(credit card) with auctioneer, plus potentially another 25% of what you may spend. However, you can't pay for purchase with credit card. You need to pay with company check, cashier's check etc, atleast 25% ish the day the bidding ends, with final complete payment no later than the next business day. I'm unclear when the $1000 is released back.

Buyer pays 18% on top of winning bids to auctioneer, plus sales tax if you are not tax exempt.

Must use one of the two riggers listed for anything over 100 lbs. I don't know their rates.

I didn't see anything about viewing in person, it may exist, I just didn't see it.

I spent about 6 hours reviewing all 4 auctions. I think my eyeballs are bleeding and my head hurts. :D

Obvious, I'm not big enough to play at this auction. Even if I was, where in the heck would I put a 16 foot CC Axelson lathe at my house? Steve may have room at his place next to his last lathe purchase.
I haven't read all of the auction details, I wonder if one could look at the lots before registering for the auction? And be allowed to take pictures? If so, I may be able to break loose for a half of an day and go look for any one seriously interested. Ken

Earlier model DH with cast iron brake handle.. Mine had the mickey mouse plastic handles that I replaced with stainless handles... :) Gears in that pile who knows which low lead they fit? Who knows, maybe jimmie hoffa is buried in there as well...Cheers from Louisiana

Obvious, I'm not big enough to play at this auction. Even if I was, where in the heck would I put a 16 foot CC Axelson lathe at my house? Steve may have room at his place next to his last lathe purchase.
I haven't read all of the auction details, I wonder if one could look at the lots before registering for the auction? And be allowed to take pictures? If so, I may be able to break loose for a half of an day and go look for any one seriously interested. Ken

Often these auctions have inspection dates and there isn’t usually a requirement that the people viewing the items have signed up...

When there isn’t an inspection date I’ve called auction companies and they were willing to make access available.

At least this is my experience with east coast auctions.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit that Alcoa bought that mill new back in the fifties with all of the bells and whistles they got stuck with, from the machinery dealer that sold the bill of goods to them. But, looking at some of the stuff in that cabinet, what would you do with two extra spindle nose driver gears??? Are all of the high number plates in that box with all of the loose change gears and the different worm gears?? Probably not. But you never know...;)

Viewing time is the day before the auction. There are nearly 750 items to be auctioned that day. Roughly 90 items per hour to be auctioned off is my guess. I see this going till sometime late that night. The day before does not give me much time to get pics and post what I find. If anyone is interested, one of the riggers is Corpus Christi Crane and Rigging, the other outfit I'm have not heard the name or where they are out of. Have no experience CCC. Ken

I know several guys that worked at Alcoa Point Comfort and we also used to haul UAN out of the old Texas Liquid Fert terminal (now SGS) across 1593 from Alcoa there.

Two things are almost guaranteed,
There will be bauxite dust/grit everywhere, in every nook and Crevice
They’ve been rode hard and put up wet.

Plant was idled in 2016
Betting odds that equipment has been unused since at least then. My cousin farms near Refugio and runs with a dozen or so of the let-go Alcoa folks and he mentioned something about any facility maintainence/repair was outsourced a while before that. There is some doubt that any is under power anymore, but who knows as this is like 3rd / 4th hand info

That said cousin and I are going to attempt to view axlesons on Jan 11 preview date.

Maybe they’ve dusted the joint up a bit for photoshoot but the bauxite seemed the be everywhere. Just rusty dust on everything down wind from the rail yard too. Leaving out of TLF terminal with a stiff north wind resulted in pulling up somewhere in Victoria and washing down the Peterbilt.

One of the approved riggers is Rexco is an Industrial construction co and do a lot of industrial piping among other thing I believe. They’re out of Port Lavaca across the bay

Back