K&T Goodies in Texas at auction - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 56 of 56
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    55
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    25
    Likes (Received)
    24

    Default

    Right on sounds neat. Yeah they’re both 5hp 3ph. Guess that explains how pops managed that Boring head. It didn’t like it but it turned it

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    8,335
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    554
    Likes (Received)
    4098

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by texasgunsmith View Post
    Just need the wife to go blond for my bombshell too.
    Keep up with the heavy iron acquisitions and she is liable to go white. That close enough?

    American Hole Wizards had cool Art Deco styling! Fit right in with your '50's goal.

  3. Likes TexasAggie, texasgunsmith liked this post
  4. #43
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    1,622
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1088
    Likes (Received)
    582

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gbent View Post
    Keep up with the heavy iron acquisitions and she is liable to go white. That close enough?

    American Hole Wizards had cool Art Deco styling! Fit right in with your '50's goal.
    Nice. Also I plan to to hang either serial card info, or machine info with machine. Along side that I intend a pin up calendar girl from the month and year of machine. I'm also thinking the Playboy month and year of machine as well, atleast from where they started printing them.

    An artist, Vargas, did pin ups in the 1940's. September 1942 for a South Bend 16":

    36.jpg

    Monarch Series 61 from August 1956, the Playboy of that month featured Jonnie Nicely. The photo spread here with centerfold about midway down:
    https://pipeandpjsthefifties.home.bl...d-performance/

  5. #44
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    1,622
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1088
    Likes (Received)
    582

    Default

    I received quotes from the two rigging outfits at the auction. Rexco only gave rates for labor, supervisors, and equipment per hour, not an actual total number.

    CCC gave me an estimate on the K & T. $1300 to $1750 to disconnect and put the K & T on my trailer. $1300 if they can use the crane in the building. $1750 if they need to use their own.

    Depending on condition, the K & T may be well worth it. But to me its out of bargin price range now. I was not really in the market for a large mill, but I didn't intend on letting it get scrapped at a low price. I can sleep easier knowing I don't have to wreck my shop to squeeze it in.

    That was the biggest item I was looking at. I'm going Monday to have a peak around. Will bid on some other items.

  6. #45
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    8,335
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    554
    Likes (Received)
    4098

    Default

    For the higher price I'll put a 4K on your trailer, $1750 loading, free mill with tooling. Its an even larger bargain, half again heavier.

  7. Likes texasgunsmith liked this post
  8. #46
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    55
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    25
    Likes (Received)
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by texasgunsmith View Post
    I received quotes from the two rigging outfits at the auction. Rexco only gave rates for labor, supervisors, and equipment per hour, not an actual total number.

    CCC gave me an estimate on the K & T. $1300 to $1750 to disconnect and put the K & T on my trailer. $1300 if they can use the crane in the building. $1750 if they need to use their own.

    Depending on condition, the K & T may be well worth it. But to me its out of bargin price range now. I was not really in the market for a large mill, but I didn't intend on letting it get scrapped at a low price. I can sleep easier knowing I don't have to wreck my shop to squeeze it in.

    That was the biggest item I was looking at. I'm going Monday to have a peak around. Will bid on some other items.
    Good lord. Pretty outlandish, guess that’s what happens when they know they have a monopoly.

    Did you get a call back? I never did. Do you have to make a reservation to go view? I kind of read it that way, that you had to. Almost don’t want to know what they’ll charge to load up one of those axlesons.

  9. #47
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    1,622
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1088
    Likes (Received)
    582

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasAggie View Post
    Good lord. Pretty outlandish, guess that’s what happens when they know they have a monopoly.

    Did you get a call back? I never did. Do you have to make a reservation to go view? I kind of read it that way, that you had to. Almost don’t want to know what they’ll charge to load up one of those axlesons.
    I called the auctioneer in Illinois directly and someone answered the phone. They answered the questions I had at the time, so I wasn't expecting a call back. That was prior to you posting about the question of reservations. I never asked that question, but my impression was just show up.

    I was thinking I may want to call back to ask that, after seeing your post, but with work, time slipped by. . .

    The CCC rigger answered the phone, but I waited 3 days for his quote. He wanted to access the site before giving estimates. Rexco and I only corresponded through email.

    I gave both a list of lot numbers for the quotes. Nearly added the Pacemaker just to see the quote, but didn't, its just a project I can't handle right now.

    The Barnes drill I posted about in post #37, the quote has me right on the line of go/no go. $390 to disconnect and load on my truck. In truth, think I'd just prefer spending a little more to get a Cleereman if I'm going to use the floor space. Love to get a radial arm, but I'm guessing it might eat up more space than I really want to use. I need to research that a little more though.

    I have a bunch of other items I'm looking at. Hope to have a clearer picture after Monday.

  10. Likes TexasAggie liked this post
  11. #48
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    55
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    25
    Likes (Received)
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by texasgunsmith View Post
    I called the auctioneer in Illinois directly and someone answered the phone. They answered the questions I had at the time, so I wasn't expecting a call back. That was prior to you posting about the question of reservations. I never asked that question, but my impression was just show up.

    I was thinking I may want to call back to ask that, after seeing your post, but with work, time slipped by. . .

    The CCC rigger answered the phone, but I waited 3 days for his quote. He wanted to access the site before giving estimates. Rexco and I only corresponded through email.

    I gave both a list of lot numbers for the quotes. Nearly added the Pacemaker just to see the quote, but didn't, its just a project I can't handle right now.

    The Barnes drill I posted about in post #37, the quote has me right on the line of go/no go. $390 to disconnect and load on my truck. In truth, think I'd just prefer spending a little more to get a Cleereman if I'm going to use the floor space. Love to get a radial arm, but I'm guessing it might eat up more space than I really want to use. I need to research that a little more though.

    I have a bunch of other items I'm looking at. Hope to have a clearer picture after Monday.
    Thanks for the follow up. Yeah in that case prob going to go Monday too. But starting to think the rigging costs are not going to be worth fooling with on bigger lathes. Bet they’ll want 2500-3000

  12. #49
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    55
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    25
    Likes (Received)
    24

    Default

    Correction 4250

  13. #50
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    1,622
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1088
    Likes (Received)
    582

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasAggie View Post
    Correction 4250
    Really pretty irritating. Carefully looking over list of lots I got quotes on. . . It appears rates vary depending on what they think value will be, or hot selling items. While some hard selling items mysteriously fall a bit cheaper.

    Sure would be nice to bring in our own riggers or equipment. Maybe have the ability to pay an onsite competent person to ensure we are not wrecking the property.

  14. Likes TexasAggie liked this post
  15. #51
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    1,622
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1088
    Likes (Received)
    582

    Default

    They do want people to have an appointment. They are way behind on showing people with appointment, may not finish them today.

    For those that can't see today, they will try to squeeze them in tomorrow.

  16. #52
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    55
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    25
    Likes (Received)
    24

    Default

    5500 from R-co on biggest axleson. Lot 161. Same on k&t.

    YIKES. Maybe if they brought it to the shop. Maybe. Prob not.

    Went yesterday, was chaos.
    Scheduling was ridiculous. 15 min only.
    Disappointed. Several under power. G&L under power according to my cousin who had separate appointment. Was no able to fire anything up.

  17. #53
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    1,622
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1088
    Likes (Received)
    582

    Default

    Pretty surprised at how high a lot of stuff went for.

    I didn't bid on the mill, last I saw it was just over $500.

    I did bid on the dividing head and the lot of K & T tooling from the first post. Did not win, as I didn't chase the price all the way up. The dividing head went for $480 and the lot of tooling for $780 ! Was real surprised by that. Still need to pay 18% on top of that too.

    Did win a few items including some angle vices, that I fell cheaper than was expecting.

  18. Likes 4GSR, TexasAggie liked this post
  19. #54
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    55
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    25
    Likes (Received)
    24

    Default

    Axlesons ranged from $2200 to $5800. Brother stopped bidding around 3k on lot 161 I believe he said. Figured after rigging charge etc could drive the country and get one that could be tested before purchase for better $ or same$
    Pacemaker $1750
    L&S power turn I believe went at $4600
    Carlton 5’x17” $3900
    Carlton 6’x 19” $1600
    G&L 340T $5750
    K&T TF310 $575
    K&T dividing head $480

    Didn’t follow much after the dividing head. Had to pen cattle

  20. Likes texasgunsmith, 4GSR liked this post
  21. #55
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    865
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    181
    Likes (Received)
    339

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by texasgunsmith View Post
    Pretty surprised at how high a lot of stuff went for.

    I didn't bid on the mill, last I saw it was just over $500.

    I did bid on the dividing head and the lot of K & T tooling from the first post. Did not win, as I didn't chase the price all the way up. The dividing head went for $480 and the lot of tooling for $780 ! Was real surprised by that. Still need to pay 18% on top of that too.

    Did win a few items including some angle vices, that I fell cheaper than was expecting.
    I’m not surprised all the tooling went for $1k out the door. There were a few different vertical head drive gears, a couple sets of low lead gears, all the change gears, centering plugs and whatever else was in the back of the cabinet. Whoever bought them could easily triple their money on eBay.

  22. Likes TexasAggie liked this post
  23. #56
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Victoria, Texas, USA
    Posts
    4,481
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2915
    Likes (Received)
    1208

    Default

    Be interested to follow the loaded trucks out of there to see what direction they take. Either going north or going south to Mexico. IF going north, probably bought up by the bigger machinery dealers out there. Very good chance they already have buyers for this stuff.

    I didn't keep up with the auction at Archie Laurence Machine in Houston. He had a shop full of large Axelson lathes plus piles of drawings and parts for these old lathes. Did anyone here play at that auction or know any details about it? I believe the auction was last month.


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •