What's new
What's new

K&T Model 2H telescoping coolant return tube assembly rebuild questions

ruralearl

Aluminum
Hello, We have a K&T Model 2H mill with coolant return assembly that only has the inner & outer tubes that are attached to the elbows.

Question: Does the original tube assembly have 3 tubes counting the ones attached to the elbows, as shown in the parts manual?

Or are there 4? If there are 4, would someone please tell me the outside diameter of the 2 inner tubes?

I tried to post a photo of what we have, but when I press the "manage attachments" button I get an 'invalid thread specified" message.

Thank you, Earl

hi Earl.

there are a total of four tubes that teloscope into each other. Here are the dimentions taken from my 2HL starting with the one from the bottom that has the elbow on it.
1: 1.382"
2: 1.240"
3: 1.129"
4: 1.0

Thank you logger

Hello Logger, Thank you for taking the time to measure them. If I manage to rebuild them, will post some photos. Regards, Earl

good luck Earl. I can't wait to get mine back under power. It has been too many years since I could make chips with the old girl. Now that i have a 200 amp panel in the shop, I will hopefully be able to get my phase convertor built before too long and get her back to work.

Randy

Hi Randy, I have a piece of tube ordered for one of the inner tubes, it will have to be bored out some. The other one, miracle of miracles, we actually had the right size. Will try to post some photos when done.

The mill we have came from Milwaukee thanks to one of the guys on this board last March & haven't run it yet. Spent some time cleaning up & painting. I have never run a horiz mill other than a little Atlas, so it will be a learning experience. Thanks again for your help. Regards, Earl

Not that I'd sully my revered 2H with one but I've seen hoses successfully substituted for the telescopic system on various sizes of K&T's.

Just take the table to the extreme top/left, before you cut the hose.

When I first got it home and drained the column, didn't like the awkward reach between the belts for the drain plug, so I replaced it with a ball valve and elbow to aim it out and down, with a garden hose nipple at the end, short piece of hose laying in the bottom.

Not sure if it was worth it, may never change the oil again but glad it was there for some kerosene flushes, saved the mess I made on the first draining, some on the belts and pulley.

Bob

Hello Bob, Thank you for the suggestion. A very much more crude version was what was on the machine when we got it & the hose (plastic) which was fastened to the top & bottom tubes was pretty well deterioated. You're right, this project is pretty much overkill, but I have the tube ordered & now just want to see if I canmake it work. The shipping was almost as much as the tube.

Thank you for the posts you have made. I have learned a lot from them & enjoyed all (that I have read). Regards, Earl

Last edited:
Worked ok

Hello, The rebuild project went ok. Got the 1 1/4 od x 1 1/8 id tube which had to be bored to 1 3/16 id. Also several short rings needed to be made which hold the assembly together. Already had some 1 1/8 od x 1 1/16 id for the other tube.

First photo shows what was started with.
Photos 2 & 3 show fabricated middle tubes.
Last photo is of tubes on the mill.
The photos are not the greatest, guess I need a better camera (or a better cameraman). Can provide further details if anyone is interested.

Thanks to all for your suggestions & especially to loggerhogger for measuring the tubes on his mill. Regards, Earl

Attachments

• 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 229
  • 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 244
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 269
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 287
Something else to watch is the set of tubes which cover the spline shaft just above and behind the coolant tube. They can break also and can fill the cavity at the back end with chips. There is a cover at the back end. My 2H had the rear set of tubes broken and the cavity full of gunk(that's a technical term for everything in the shop mixed together). I replaced them with parts from the junk 2CH. They fit exactly.

Coolant tubes.

Something else to watch is the set of tubes which cover the spline shaft just above and behind the coolant tube. They can break also and can fill the cavity at the back end with chips. There is a cover at the back end. My 2H had the rear set of tubes broken and the cavity full of gunk(that's a technical term for everything in the shop mixed together). I replaced them with parts from the junk 2CH. They fit exactly.

These were made in our sheet metal department. You probably wonder how it was done. They had a large stock of tubes. As you realized, you had to put rings on them to keep them captured. It's sort of a puzzle. No turning of tubes was necessary since every size was in stock. They had a solder pot. The ring would be slipped on a tube and set in the pot. A little flux and done. Some clean up and polishing, assembly, soldering, etc... That guy could really knock them out.

Back