What's new
What's new

K & T Model B Autometric FInds A New Home

K&T_Journeyman79

Aluminum
I just picked up a K & T Model B Horizontal Autometric Boring Machine from a Machinery Dealer in Ohio. The machine was built in June 1947. It is in very good shape for a machine that is 70+ years old. Please see the attached photos. Now the challenge is to get the machine off of the pallet and into position.

The only modification to the machine is a spindle adapter that accepts R-8 collets. Unfortunately, the draw bar for standard NMTB 40 tool holders is missing.

This machine will compliment my K & T Model 2D "Die Miller" and K & T 2CH Horizontal Mill.

If anyone has Operating and/or Maintenance Manuals for this machine, please send me a PM.

K & T Autometric Model B - 13.jpgK & T Autometric Model B - 15.jpgK & T Autometric Model B - 8.jpgK & T Autometric Model B - 6.jpg

That's probably the one that sold at auction a couple of months back. If I had known where it was I would have been interested. I haven't seen a manual but I have seen a sales brochure for the Autometrics. Have you checked Vintage Machinery already?

That must be an early unit. Could it have been from just after K & T bought Autometric? I don't recall seeing one with the head between vertical rails.

The ones I've seen the head was mounted off the side of scraped square vertical ways, like a small version of a boring mill. They were driven with the spindle at the operators right hand, like a DeVlieg or G&L. The one you show is a left hand machine like a Lucas.

I have the later model version. I can use 40 nmtb collets with it. I use a collet chuck on it most of the time. These are really cool machines I love mine

Yes, I have checked Vintage Machinery, but no Autometric Manuals posted on the site. I personally post a lot of K & T information on Vintage Machinery.

This machine IS an early model. Later machines had v-ways and the head was mounted on the side of the upright. I operated a modern, vertical version Autometric during my time as an Apprentice.

Manuals may be available on EBay. That is my next stop for potential information.

Yes, I am an avid K & T fan. My father worked there for 43 years, I worked there for 8 years. We both went thru the K & T Apprentice Program.

K & T built excellent machines, both manual and CNC. Too bad they went the way of the dinosaur, like so many other American Machine Tool Builders.

SJS

How much do you guys think it weighs? I really don't need this machine, but I sure as hell want it.

After doing some reading, I'm a little leary about the tooling options.

Back