What's new
What's new

K&T No. 2K Plain Horizontal Mill - Serial Number

hlecedre

Plastic
Hi there, I'm looking to buy a K&T No. 2K Plain horizontal mill. The serial number is 32-4383. If someone knows what year this mill was manufactured, I would really appreciate finding this out. From the research I have been doing these sound like great machines. Thanks.

Hiram

2021-01-20_8-02-29.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_8724.jpg
    IMG_8724.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 52
4383 and 4384 were 100 item lots completed September 1943 when dark days wandered the land

Bunch of 3H in there too - since they are "kin"

Lots of coverage in Vintage Machinery under Kearney Trecker

The 2K plain were a smidgen under 6000 Lbs

They are great machines ONLY if not busted up in column and knee - so it has to SOUND okay in each of those 24 speeds and however many feeds and rapids

Thanks for the quick response, johnoder. Here's a few pics of the knee and column. I haven't evaluated the machine yet in person. One concern I do have is, is it normal to need to crank (or "bump") through some of the different spindle speed settings in order to get to the final speed that you want? Reason being, the seller would occasionally get a gear stuck, turn on the spindle, then was able to free the spindle speed crank to the next speed setting and so on until the desired setting was reached. Normal or a red flag? Other than that the speeds, feeds, and rapids work smoothly and sound nice. Seller is asking for $1,800 and includes arbor support and about 50 or so NT50 tool holders and arbors (see pic). Any advice on what to look for before deciding? Thanks again!

Hiram

wear on column 2.jpgwear on knee 1 back.jpgwear on knee 1 front.jpgwear on knee 2 back.jpg

Attachments

• wear on column 1.jpg
    wear on column 1.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 29
Pics of column and knee. Seller is asking $1,800 with about 15 different NT50 tool holders and arbors. Any advice I should take in consideration before I decide on this purchase?

Thanks,
Hiram

wear on column 2.jpg
wear on knee 1 back.jpg
wear on knee 1 front.jpg
wear on knee 2 back.jpg
wear on knee 2 front.jpg

John O. gave you some good advice. Check rapids in all directions, speeds and feeds to make sure everything works like it should. That machine will have rear controls so make sure they work: look for handles, table-saddle and knee trip dogs, overall wear and main motor noise. Obviously you’re buying an 80 yr old war baby but for $1800, everything better be there and work like it should.

If you cannot operate it, don’t spend more than $400.....that’s about the scrap value for that mill. Arbors & tool holders are $2/pound at HGR.

Some of the "holders" on the table will be found to be some one's scrap iron (special tool)

As to easing it into next speed, yes. There were mills with mechanical foot pedals to assist ( not necessarily K&T). On the electric side, a use for a jog button

Another idea is to just twist on spindle nose - naturally with good sense about clutch/brake and motor

I'd imagine K&T would want Mobil DTE Heavy Medium in column and knee - like on my 2CH

Here's more pics of the tool holders and arbor support that come with the machine:

View attachment 311118

John O. - Ugh, yeah I certainly don't want crap holders and arbors. I'll check their runout when I view it in person.

Hiram

Back