What's new
What's new

K&T Rear controls

Going out on a limb here but I have read a few times and some reading of factory lit suggests that rear controls were factory on model Ks and optional on Model Hs

Here’s the funny thing my 1943 4H has rear controls. Use the rear controls more than the front in the work I do.

I have three 3K verticals 1942,1944,1944 and not a one of them have rear controls. So is it luck of the draw I got a hold of three that happened to have that standard option nixed? I use the two 1944s quite extensively, the newest 44 (dec 44) the most and would like to add rear controls. 1942 3K is long term setup for repeating job

Prefer not to rob them from 4H (looks like a bolt up) does anyone have a parts machine theyd sell the rear controls too. Or perhaps the whole machine as long as controls interchange with 3K. Have considered making Johnson bars that pin to factory front levers that aim around back but then the whole dial not in view thing becomes another barrier. Understand this Johnson bar idea sounds ridiculous but I’d prefer to work with/retro fit what I have as although old they are in respectable condition and are money makers. I have been into knee on 4H and vaguely remember how the whole works was tied into the front and if I remember correctly there was more to it then pinning a collar onto an exposed shaft. Thus the Johnson bar idea

July 1940 full line catalog has 2KM and 3KM (medium speed and but 16 speeds) came stock with rear controls and ditto on the 24 speed K

Smallest H to have rear controls would have been the 2K based 3H

I'd imagine when the hordes of military/government buyers came into action that anything is possible - especially in the lot purchases

2k 3k vertical controls

Going out on a limb here but I have read a few times and some reading of factory lit suggests that rear controls were factory on model Ks and optional on Model Hs

Here’s the funny thing my 1943 4H has rear controls. Use the rear controls more than the front in the work I do.

I have three 3K verticals 1942,1944,1944 and not a one of them have rear controls. So is it luck of the draw I got a hold of three that happened to have that standard option nixed? I use the two 1944s quite extensively, the newest 44 (dec 44) the most and would like to add rear controls. 1942 3K is long term setup for repeating job

Prefer not to rob them from 4H (looks like a bolt up) does anyone have a parts machine theyd sell the rear controls too. Or perhaps the whole machine as long as controls interchange with 3K. Have considered making Johnson bars that pin to factory front levers that aim around back but then the whole dial not in view thing becomes another barrier. Understand this Johnson bar idea sounds ridiculous but I’d prefer to work with/retro fit what I have as although old they are in respectable condition and are money makers. I have been into knee on 4H and vaguely remember how the whole works was tied into the front and if I remember correctly there was more to it then pinning a collar onto an exposed shaft. Thus the Johnson bar idea

Early K&T Brochure

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 51
must’ve misinterpreted something in my research then. Brochure you posted, Ramsey shows the K without rear controls. Well shoot they sure are handy. Maybe cobbling is in order

must’ve misinterpreted something in my research then. Brochure you posted, Ramsey shows the K without rear controls. Well shoot they sure are handy. Maybe cobbling is in order

According to my old brochure, on the 2 and 3k vertical, it was not even an option...Brochure is from early forties ... I can see how rear controls would be handy .. Kinda wish my 2h plain horizontal had them sometime.. Cheers; Ramsay 1:)

The rear control looks like a bolt on, but its not even close, one of our K2 had a rear control X access internal part failure, took the better part of a day and we had all the manuals.

I have a complete, working 4K with rear controls for $200/ton, loaded your trailer. And it better be a stout trailer, as it weighs about 13,000#, and a few hundred pounds of tooling as well.

Hmmmph. That old thing, "steers and queers come from Texas".... and you talking about missing being rear controlled... Makes one wonder...
:eek:
Anyway.

My 2H does not have them. And man, I wish it did.

I'm about to pick up a 2CH, and I haven't seen it in person, but, I don't think it has them.

I'd really like them, tho.

Back