What's new
What's new

K&T S/N 4214 4K-5H Vert Milling Machine drawings/illustrations?

sgensemer

Plastic
I am working on a project to make a plaque for a retiree of his favorite machining center. The subject line is the milling machine.

Made in August 1943 w/the War Finish.
Anybody know what the "War Finish" was all about?

I am trying to make a plaque for presentation. I really need some drawings, blueprints, illustrations of the whole machine. I find bits and pieces in the manuals i found here & elsewhere; but not the whole machine. I'd rather not try and sketch something up from a photo...

Anybody have any, or know where i can find something? Attached is a photo.

K&T-Model-4K-5H_VertMillingMach.jpg

My understanding is that "War Finish" meant a much simpler prep and paint job. Little or no putty and grinding work to fair things to smooth, basic paint job.

Could be more functional too. My dad worked at Lucas in Cleveland post-WWII making HBM's, and he told the story of, during WWII production, the company being compelled to curtail scraping everything in and just go with ground surfaces in some places.

Regards.

Mike

My understanding is that "War Finish" meant a much simpler prep and paint job. Little or no putty and grinding work to fair things to smooth, basic paint job.

Regards.

Mike
May 5, 1942

Fancy painting and finishing of metalworking machinery by machine tool builders were to be banned after April 30, the WPB announced April 27. Limitation Order No. L-108, effective April 27, provides that only one coat of primer or sealer may be applied to new metal-working equipment. No filler may be applied and not more than two coats of paint, enamel, or lacquer may be used. Any color other than "old machine-tool gray" for the final coat of paint is prohibited. The order was Issued, the Board stated, to reduce the time required for delivery of machine tools and to free the space now used for finishing, for more productive work

War Time Finish

Could be more functional too. My dad worked at Lucas in Cleveland post-WWII making HBM's, and he told the story of, during WWII production, the company being compelled to curtail scraping everything in and just go with ground surfaces in some places.

Regards.

Mike
From an old magazine of the time.. Ramsay 1:)

Attachments

• war time finish.jpg
    war time finish.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 86
That's really neat on the War Finish. Thanks all!

On the drawings:
Was really hoping someone knew of actual drawings floating around. I have the manual, so saw those pictures; but they don't show enough of the whole machine.

I figured out a way to import a photo into a SolidWorks sketch and am tracing it now. Tedious; but it seems to work. Will just be a sketch of a photo. Not planning on making a 3D model of it. Not enough info! Probably could do this in other 3D modeling software as well.

knew of actual drawings floating around

A pipe dream. I spent the better part of my life gathering what drawings there were on one of the simpler Lockheeds of 85 years ago, and can say that such drawings are totally worthless in the ones / twos to the understanding of the whole. This understanding only comes with years of study of all.

Thumbnail an example. There are HUNDREDS of just the A size. And they go up to bed sheet sized drawings.

Another misconception is that there should somehow be perfect line drawings of assembled machines. Plain silliness in the age of photography, and really good photos have been going on since at least the Civil War. There is no commercial use for such. Only folks I know of that approached that is the drawings of assemblies in older Pratt & Whitney Machine Tool parts books - for the benefit of their traveling service engineers

Attachments

• Example A Size.jpg
    Example A Size.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 61

Back