K&T S/N 4214 4K-5H Vert Milling Machine drawings/illustrations?
Close
Login to Your Account
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Question K&T S/N 4214 4K-5H Vert Milling Machine drawings/illustrations?

I am working on a project to make a plaque for a retiree of his favorite machining center. The subject line is the milling machine.

Made in August 1943 w/the War Finish.
    Anybody know what the "War Finish" was all about?

I am trying to make a plaque for presentation. I really need some drawings, blueprints, illustrations of the whole machine. I find bits and pieces in the manuals i found here & elsewhere; but not the whole machine. I'd rather not try and sketch something up from a photo...

Anybody have any, or know where i can find something? Attached is a photo.

k-t-model-4k-5h_vertmillingmach.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There are online converters. Not sure they are good enough. One is at Online tool to create sketch, painting, drawing, outline effects A different picture might work bettter...]k-t-model-4k-5h_vertmillingmach_orginal_sketch.jpg
    Last edited by wheels17; 11-29-2018 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Fix URL

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sgensemer View Post
    Made in August 1943 w/the War Finish.
    Anybody know what the "War Finish" was all about?
    My understanding is that "War Finish" meant a much simpler prep and paint job. Little or no putty and grinding work to fair things to smooth, basic paint job.

Regards.

Mike

4. Likes ramsay1 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Finegrain View Post
    My understanding is that "War Finish" meant a much simpler prep and paint job. Little or no putty and grinding work to fair things to smooth, basic paint job.
    Could be more functional too. My dad worked at Lucas in Cleveland post-WWII making HBM's, and he told the story of, during WWII production, the company being compelled to curtail scraping everything in and just go with ground surfaces in some places.

Regards.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

See War Production Board - like when the USA told the industry just how to do things - with incidentally successful results

Manual here for the larger H machines - photos in the last several pages

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2098/15189.pdf

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Regards.

Mike
    May 5, 1942

Fancy painting and finishing of metalworking machinery by machine tool builders were to be banned after April 30, the WPB announced April 27. Limitation Order No. L-108, effective April 27, provides that only one coat of primer or sealer may be applied to new metal-working equipment. No filler may be applied and not more than two coats of paint, enamel, or lacquer may be used. Any color other than "old machine-tool gray" for the final coat of paint is prohibited. The order was Issued, the Board stated, to reduce the time required for delivery of machine tools and to free the space now used for finishing, for more productive work

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default War Time Finish

Could be more functional too. My dad worked at Lucas in Cleveland post-WWII making HBM's, and he told the story of, during WWII production, the company being compelled to curtail scraping everything in and just go with ground surfaces in some places.

Regards.

Mike
    From an old magazine of the time.. Ramsay 1
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails war-time-finish.jpg  

9. Likes Finegrain liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wheels17 View Post
    There are online converters. Not sure they are good enough. One is at Online tool to create sketch, painting, drawing, outline effects A different picture might work bettter...]k-t-model-4k-5h_vertmillingmach_orginal_sketch.jpg
    Yeah - I tried a few as well. Not quite enough contrast to make a good conversion. Neat idea though...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That's really neat on the War Finish. Thanks all!

On the drawings:
    Was really hoping someone knew of actual drawings floating around. I have the manual, so saw those pictures; but they don't show enough of the whole machine.

I figured out a way to import a photo into a SolidWorks sketch and am tracing it now. Tedious; but it seems to work. Will just be a sketch of a photo. Not planning on making a 3D model of it. Not enough info! Probably could do this in other 3D modeling software as well.

Post Thanks / Like

knew of actual drawings floating around
    A pipe dream. I spent the better part of my life gathering what drawings there were on one of the simpler Lockheeds of 85 years ago, and can say that such drawings are totally worthless in the ones / twos to the understanding of the whole. This understanding only comes with years of study of all.

Thumbnail an example. There are HUNDREDS of just the A size. And they go up to bed sheet sized drawings.

Another misconception is that there should somehow be perfect line drawings of assembled machines. Plain silliness in the age of photography, and really good photos have been going on since at least the Civil War. There is no commercial use for such. Only folks I know of that approached that is the drawings of assemblies in older Pratt & Whitney Machine Tool parts books - for the benefit of their traveling service engineers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails example-size.jpg