What's new
What's new

Kearney & Trecker 205 S-12 Horizontal Mill Value

landrand

Plastic
I'm new to Machining Mills and am interested in making an offer on a Kearney & Trecker 205 S-12 Horizontal Mill (6,250lbs, 12x56 table, 5HP, 50 NMT, coolant system,and arbor support). Unfortunately, I have no idea what this mill might be worth. I won't be able to see the mill run as it's already been removed from the shop and sitting on a trailer. The owner says the mill runs great. Here's a pic of the mill and tooling that goes with it. Can someone give me a ballpark estimate of what I should consider offering for the mill and tooling?

Attachments

• KIMG0309(2).jpg
    KIMG0309(2).jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 369
  • KIMG0357.jpg
    KIMG0357.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 524
  • KIMG0358.jpg
    KIMG0358.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 564
  • KIMG0359.jpg
    KIMG0359.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 524
In my opinion, the K & T S-12 Mill is worth around $3,000 if it is in good condition and runs well.

Make sure you get all of the available attachments, i.e.: overarm supports, vertical head, DRIVE GEAR for vertical head, tooling, etc.

From the photos, the machine appears to be in decent condition. However, you cannot determine way wear and lead screw backlash from the photos.

Good luck with your purchase.

SJS

Make sure you get all of the available attachments, i.e.: overarm supports, vertical head, DRIVE GEAR for vertical head, tooling, etc.
SJS

I don't believe this mill comes with a vertical head and drive gear for vertical head. Perhaps that is something I can pick up in the future if any show up for sale. That's all I know is some tooling is included and I did attach a pic of what is included.

If you can't see it run and be able to check the various problem points I would offer $500. Then add another $1000 if it checks out thru all speeds and feeds. BTDT scrapped a machine because....

These are great machines, but beware that quite a few have been abused. I have looked at more than my fair share, and have personally owned a 2H, and now own a 2K. I rejected quite a few machines before getting the one I have now, which is a gem.

NMTB 50 tooling is cheap, and available everywhere. Overarms, vertical attachment heads and their drive gears, etc....are not. Be sure of what you are getting, and what you expect from the machine. Even a worn machine is capable of doing good work, even if it won't make parts for a NASA spaceship anymore.

Not being able to test feeds and speeds can run you into a situation where you've got a pile of spare parts on your hands instead of a functioning mill.

Personally, none of these older mills are worth more than scrap if you can't verify that they run well, and that speeds, feeds, rapids, etc.... all work. They are a major PITA to work on when something is broken, and never cheap to repair. I have a friend who's been inside the knee of his 2H to make repairs, and it was no fun at all, and he's tenacious.

I paid $1000 for my 2K, in great shape saved for a broken handle (which I have fixed). It came with 7 arbors, a 500 lb. box of cutters of various sizes, and I was able to run it before buying it to verify that all the speeds, feeds, and the rapids worked for the front and side controls.

It will be interesting to see what the prices of these machines do when the middle of the country gets to the same price and availability as things are here out west.

Horizontal mills are unheard of out here and the prices if one does show up are staggering. You can start to see that trend on eBay with all the $5k - $15k No.2-4 machines that used to be $500. $2500 for near 100 year old beaters even from dealers in the Midwest.

You live in a place where you can still afford to be choosy and haggle. Be glad you do. But if you think you can wait forever you are mistaken. They aren't making any more of them. Just my opinion.

If I were feeling generous I would offer $500. Michigan isn't exactly short of these things.

But I'm the last person to give pricing advice. I paid $600 for a Gov surplus 5CK that had been sitting outside for 6 months, then $1200 to truck it to Houston and recently $1500 for a vertical head for it.

And I still don't know if the machine runs yet......

It will be interesting to see what the prices of these machines do when the middle of the country gets to the same price and availability as things are here out west.

Horizontal mills are unheard of out here and the prices if one does show up are staggering. You can start to see that trend on eBay with all the $5k - $15k No.2-4 machines that used to be $500. $2500 for near 100 year old beaters even from dealers in the Midwest.

You live in a place where you can still afford to be choosy and haggle. Be glad you do. But if you think you can wait forever you are mistaken. They aren't making any more of them. Just my opinion.

His profile clearly states he's from Michigan. I'm in northern Illinois. I wasn't directing my answer towards someone in a different part of the country, because I have no idea what they cost out there on the left coast, except to know that there isn't a great deal of anything out west when it comes to vintage machinery.

Around here, there are K&T's, and other brands of vintage mills, planers, shapers, etc......listed for sale all the time. They're on craigslist, but they are also available on other listings, if you know where to look. An auction I went to, and bought at, over this past winter had 15 different K&T mills for sale, and several had vertical heads included with the horizontal mill, and 2 even had parking attachments. Not one of them sold for over $1000.

You're not living in a target rich environment out west. Any machine trucked that far is going to have a hefty fee added just for hauling it, whether you're doing it yourself (gas, food, and hotels), or paying a trucking company. Here, in the middle, I can get to a lot of machines in less than a days drive.

If your still looking for a mill, I have a 307-S12 that needs to go by the end of the month. All the feeds/speeds/rapids work like they should with both overarm arbor support brackets. One over arm is stuck so you'll have to free that up. You can see it run and put it through whatever test you want.

I'm firm on $500, I'll strip and scrap it for anything less. I can pick it up 6" off the ground and load on to a drop deck trailer for free. I'm moving the shop to the farm. I really don't need a bigger fork truck to move my shop but having one would make it a little easier on me. If you need it on a higher trailer, add $250 for half the rental price of the bigger fork truck.

I'm in the Mt. Clemens area if you want to look at it,
Andy

Greetings, Everyone.
I joined a machine shop with a KT 205 S12. The machine is just sitting for about 2 decades and needing a drive belt replacement now. I am unfortunate to find 1 online or elsewhere.
Would appreciate if you guys could help me find at least 1 piece.

Stay safe, Fellows.

Regards,
A. Manalo

Back