What's new
What's new

Kearney & Trecker 2D #30 collets - sets available

Colin Doyle

Plastic
Hey guys. Been a long time lurker, but only recently joined the forum to participate in another thread.

Earlier this year, I picked up a 1953 Kearney & Trecker 2D rotary-head machine at an industrial auction, and (of course) it only included the 5/8 inch collet that had been installed in the spindle when the machine was last used. Undoubtedly, somebody else walked away from the auction with a Stanley Vidmar cabinet full of collets and promptly dumped them in his recycling bin.

I have been working with a collet manufacturer (yes, they're located in mainland China,) and have placed a modest order for #30 collets to fit these machines. I have 12-piece sets, ranging in size from 1/8in to 13/16in in 1/16in increments. I instructed the collet manufacturer to design the new collets with six slots (two pairs of three in opposing directions) in order to increase the clamping force that could be transmitted to smaller tooling. I understand the #30 collet typically extends down to, what, 3/8 inch? Below that, it's typically necessary to use the 30-to-20 collet adapter. With this batch of collets, that's not necessary.

I have not yet explored the option of having #20 KT collets manufactured, but if I'm able to recoup my investment in these ones, I would like to place an order for those, as well. I have a universal milling attachment for my machine, which requires the smaller KT20 collet. When the machine came into my possession, the #20 collet which was installed in the attachment was a fairly crude home-made aluminum piece. It would be great to have a full range of collets to replace that.

Anyway, these are listed on eBay. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to provide a link or pricing here; I just wanted to bring it to the attention of any K&T 2D owners who may be browsing this forum. Furthermore, I'm inclined to offer these at a more favorable cost to PM forum members (or anyone else who's willing to circumvent eBay's final value fees.)

Hopefully I can save a few of these machines from being retired due to lack of toolholding options.

Thanks,
Colin

IMG_9427.jpg
IMG_9429.jpg
IMG_9433.jpg

Post up the link, I’m missing the 3/4” and could really use it. I have an extra 1/2” & 5/8” I’d willing to trade for a 3/4”. Someone correct me if I’m wrong but I “think” the #30 collets were 3/8”, 1/2”, 5/8” and 3/4”.

#20 go from 1/2” to 1/8” by 1/16th.

Andy

edit: found them on eBay. A little out of my price range but at least they’re available. :D

Glad you found the listing.

I’ll knock $100 off if you’re interested in buying a set. I was trying to keep the pricepoint down, but I got hit with a $1000 bill a few days ago just to bail them out of US Customs. I need to make enough of a margin to cover the time I have invested, but I’m certainly not trying to get rich off these things.

I have an eBay notification set for “kearney collet” and a few other keywords, and I’ve been trying to keep my finger on the pulse of the market as I work with the manufacturer to produce these collets. There have been several times over the last few months where an incomplete set of three or four collets fetches $300+. I think the value is there, I just need to attract the eyes of the guys who need the goods.:skep:

I have that “tabbed” spindle closure nut (to be used in conjunction with the input shaft for the universal milling attachment, I suspect), but no 30-to-20 adapter. That’s the impetus for making the 30 collet accept smaller tooling.

I have two of these machines with the factory collets and the original 30 size collets were 1/2" and up. I have been hoping someone would make these again someday! Several times I have wished for a 30 size collet smaller than 1/2".

No email just an Instagram (i could be missing it I’m new here) I will just have to be patient thank you for your help if you find his email message him and tell him he has messages here

Back