What's new
What's new

Kearney and Trecker cross drive bracket repair

vonblowseph

Cast Iron
Howdy folks,
Been an awful long time since I have posted here. Thought I would post a repair that I made on my 1947 1H vertical "swivel head". I dragged this thing home about a year and a half ago from the Michigan U.P. The machine had a few issues that needed to be addressed but it was running when I looked at it, all the feeds and speeds worked so I was happy. Once I got to looking closely one of the crank handle ends was bent so badly that the handwheel wouldn't even fit on it, in its short length is was somehow in an "S" shape. While performing this repair I needed to remove the apron assembly or the guts of the knee if you will. During this process did I notice that the cast iron cross drive bracket housing was busted.
IMG_20201231_133831658.jpgIMG_20201231_133851652.jpg

That is where things came to a screeching halt. I knew that it was going to take a while to make that bracket. I was pretty happy that the gears and the lead nut were all in pretty good shape but I was struggling to find the time to draw and make that part. It has a bit of precision in it and the nature of things in the machine shop where I work does not lend itself well to large chunks of uninterrupted machine time. That is until Covid hit.... suddenly I had the time.

It took the better part of 2 days to draw the thing up and double check everything before I dove into the 4x4x6 inch chuck of 6061 aluminum. I started out on the lathe with the 4 jaw chuck. Mostly because of tooling. I had a much better drill and boring bar selection for the lathe than the mill. Checking everything with a tenths DTI at every step of the way I'm pretty happy how it turned out.

IMG_20201231_132354674.jpgIMG_20201231_132409102.jpg

Just got it installed over the weekend and got the rest of the machine buttoned up yesterday.

IMG_20210103_183945514.jpg

I also did a bit of repair to the telescoping cover on one side, luckily I had some donor parts from a machine that had worked on 6 or so years ago.

I have a good drawing if anyone on here has any interest in it.

Thanks for looking

Nice work. Pops did the same repair on our 4H. Sometime before I’s was born. Cast iron instead. I believe if the table get rammed from the front this happens. Seems like people of lower compassion think to scoot them into position via the table vs scratching the paint on the lower casting/coolant tank, which I’ve done. Admittedly many times,paint scratchin that is

Back