What's new
What's new

Kearney Trecker Milling Head Attachment Question

dana gear

Hot Rolled
I have purchased a K&T high speed universal milling head attachment for my K&T model K2.
The lower drive gear for the attachment bolts directly to the 50 taper spindle drive on the horizontal mill. You can see in the picture that the drive gear is notched for the dogs on the spindle drive.
The driven gear is semi incased in the back plate that bolts to the dove tail.
My question is that in the parts manual it shows a disc plate that bolts to the outside of the driven gear, my driven gear has 4- 1/4"-20 threaded holes to mount this plate, I am missing this plate, and have been told by the company that sold the head to us that is not needed.
The driven gear has this disc plate mounted to it and it is there.
The driven gear cannot move in or out as it is bolted directly to the spindle drive.
However it seems that the driven gears disc just passes the outside face of the root of the gear about .125.
I am wondering if these two discs prevent the gear mesh from running to deep as it would seem that the discs if both there will prevent this.
The parts manuals picture is not clear so I am not sure if the disc plate for the drive gear has the same side gear overlap as the driven gear. if someone out there has this same drive I would like to know the O.D and thickness of your disc plate
Thanks Mike

Attachments

• IMG_2254.jpg
    IMG_2254.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_2255.jpg
    IMG_2255.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_2256.jpg
    IMG_2256.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 262
The discs you refer to are cut on the pitch line of the gears and contrary to the belief of some, those discs are not put on there to make it difficult to install the head.. Those discs are there to prevent the gears from meshing too tightly...People try to install the milling head on the overarms and run the arms back toward the column to install the unit.. Of course, the unit will not install that way... The proper way to install the unit is to run the overarms all the way back flush with the column, lower the unit into mesh, then insert the overarms into the drive bracket...Those discs are the only thing that prevent gear clash and properly locate shaft centers...Ramsay 1:)

When I made the drive gear for the std hi speed milling head I use on my 2h plain, I had to make a disc for it as well... You should be fine if you install the head as per post #2 above.. The original disc was likely removed by someone who thought it was there to make it a pain to install on the mill....Ramsay 1:)

After some basic engineering I came up with the dimensions of the drive gear disc.
built disc and installed everything works great and gears mesh properly, very smooth sounding.
Mike.

It's been a long time since I posted here, but this thread caught my attention as I recently purchased a Universal Milling Head. I have the drive gear, but no discs. Does anyone have a picture of the discs and the dimensions, etc.?

I'd appreciate any additional information.

Thanks,

gkbikers

My Universal has no discs since the over arm ends locate the part that goes against the column

It's been a long time since I posted here, but this thread caught my attention as I recently purchased a Universal Milling Head. I have the drive gear, but no discs. Does anyone have a picture of the discs and the dimensions, etc.?

Thanks,

gkbikers

Thanks,

gkbikers

The discs are the dimension of the pitch line....On certain units, the drive bracket is not supported by the overarms and require these discs to ensure proper gear tooth clearance... Here is the one I made for my 2h plain with std hi speed milling attachment...Ramsay 1:)

Attachments

• 20140505_125445.jpg
    20140505_125445.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 187
  • 20140505_125500.jpg
    20140505_125500.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 168
  • 20140505_125423.jpg
    20140505_125423.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 192
Thanks Ramsey1. I appreciate your pics and information. Per Johnoder's post, I'm not sure that I need the discs, as my 2K plain locates the head by the twin overarms. Does your machine not mount the head on the overarms?

From '39 full line catalog. If it looks like this, it likely is located by ends of over arms as far as proper meshing of gears. Later stuff can be quite different - and movable away from column to some degree

Attachments

• Scan 01.jpg
    Scan 01.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 197
  • Scan 02.jpg
    Scan 02.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 129
Thanks Ramsey1. I appreciate your pics and information. Per Johnoder's post, I'm not sure that I need the discs, as my 2K plain locates the head by the twin overarms. Does your machine not mount the head on the overarms?

The standard hi speed milling head for my 2h plain.. The head only dowels to the overarms.. Drive bracket can be removed from the head itself...There is only a swing bolt and nut that keeps it together but this does not actually maintain gear drive gear clearance as per pic.. Ramsay 1:)

Attachments

• IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 207
You are correct on the K&T Standard high speed adjustable universal milling attachment.
The milling head slides onto the over arms however this type of milling head can travel fore and aft with the over arms.
Standard K&T milling heads were fixed and could not move fore and aft as they are bolted directly to the machines dove tail back.
The Standard high speed adjustable universal milling head is made in two sections , one bolts up to the dovetails like all the others.
And the milling head itself is supported only by the over arms.
There are two gears, one a drive that attaches to the horizontal machines drive and the driven that is internally splined,this is all housed in the attachment drive gear housing that attaches to the dove tail back.
The driven gear has a splined shaft that travels out to the adjustable milling head. It is this splined shaft that allows fore and aft travel of the milling attachment.
As the Attachment drive gear housing is not located by the over arms and is supported only by the dove tail housing gibs there is a risk of the driven/drive gears running too deep or too shallow for that matter. K&T put those discs on the sides of the gears to set there lash were it should be as you basically let the mesh of the gears determine the attachment drive gear housing location.
And then tighten the dove tail gibs to lock it into place.
Mike.

If you follow this procedure, you will find that the attachment goes on quite easily:
Bring the overarms flush with the column....Set the unit in place and lower onto the drive gear... Extend the overarms fully into the recesses of the head assembly and tighten nut .. Finally tighten column clamps and loosen toggle nut and swing toggle bolt to disengage it if unit is to be extended....Of course you must loosen overarm nuts to extend unit and remember to tighten nuts when final position is reached...I love my unit just wish mine had movable quill....Ramsay 1:)

another head for a 2K

Sorry if I am hijacking this thread; such is not my intent.

Here is a picture of my head, not yet mounted on my machine. Not the best picture.
IMG_5916.JPG
Here is another one showing that the overarms can come through the mounting bracket for the head.
IMG_5902.JPG
So, this attachment appears to be different than the others shown here.

GK bikers, you do in fact have the K&T standard high speed adjustable universal milling head attachment.
And for that reason as explained above in posts 13 and 14 you will need the discs on the side of the gears to provide the proper gear lash.

GK bikers, you do in fact have the K&T standard high speed adjustable universal milling head attachment.
And for that reason as explained above in posts 13 and 14 you will need the discs on the side of the gears to provide the proper gear lash.

I beg to differ - looks just like mine, has no facility for moving away from column - and clearly has the locating sockets for the ends of the over arms

See scan in my post above

Thumbnails show mine installed with its shop built "hold-ons"

Attachments

• DCP_0239.JPG
    DCP_0239.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 150
  • DCP_0240.JPG
    DCP_0240.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 166
Std Hi Speed Milling Attachment

GKBikers: This is a std hi speed adjustable milling head ....I cannot see the top of the head so I cannot determine if the quill is non movable or movable.. It looks like one solid unit but it will in fact separate...The recesses for the overarms are in fact in the head assembly and not the drive bracket ..You will need the gear spacers to insure proper gear tooth clearance as per posts 12, 13, and 14... Ramsay 1:)

Attachments

• IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 161
Here are some additional pictures. My vertical head is similar to yours and to Johnodor's, but not an exact match. VERY CLOSE.

Overarms are inserted into two open holes. However, they cannot protrude through the casting.
100_0745.jpg

Closer look at casting hole. The hole is not even large enough for the overarm to protrude as it is only machined to the size of the overarm about half way through the casting.
100_0746.jpg

Serial number if that is of any use.
100_0748.jpg

Better picture of the vertical head. No quill. Head rotates 360 degrees in two axis.
100_0749.jpg

I hope I do not have to have the spacers!

Also, how can I get a copy of the manual? I did not even know there was one for just this head.

Thanks all.

Gary

From '39 full line catalog. If it looks like this, it likely is located by ends of over arms as far as proper meshing of gears. Later stuff can be quite different - and movable away from column to some degree

Well, I may be snake-bit any way. Per your attachment Johnoder, my head is evidently for the smaller 1H, 2HL and 2H because it came with a NMTB 40 taper end mill holder - which fits.

Will this smaller head fit my 2K plain?

IMG_5895.JPG IMG_5894.JPG 100_0710.jpg IMG_5891.JPG

Sort of hard to tell by the crude measurements, but the seller sent me the pics of the head and I took the pic of the machine overarms.

Back