Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Kearney Trecker Milwaukee 2b Plain

Hi,
    I'm looking at an old Kearney Trecker Milwaukee 2b Plain mill for sale near me. The seller said he's been told it weighs around 5000lb. Is this a close guess? I was also wondering what tapers these usually have on the spindles. It has the vertical head on it. Some of the tooling that was sitting around looked like a big b&s or morse taper, I didn't have a chance to pull the arbor that was in the vertical head out to compare.

Thanks,
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum. Bs date from the twenties and possibly teens. If it has a single overarm, you can be sure it has a B&S taper in the spindle.

I think the double overarms came out late twenties. Somewhere around then they switched over to the NMTB - National Standard spindle nose tapers, like the #50.

I doubt that any 2B was as heavy as 5000. I would expect possibly 3500.

John Oder

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the info

I'm pretty sure it has the two overarm rods. The seller is looking for scrap price so I'm trying to zero in on a fair price. The scrap yards around here are paying around $175 a ton right now for cast iron. The machine is rough, looks like it would have been a nice machine if it hadn't gotten so rusty. I figure if I get it for a little more than scrap is going for and it doesn't work out I'm not out much except my time spent moving it and gas.

Thanks,
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Don't worry some much about the rust.These machines usually clean up fairly nicely.I'd negociate a price based on the scrap value + maybe $50.00 or so dollars to get it going my way.I know a local machine shop that has one of these.The owner uses it daily and won't sell it.That tells me something.BTW,his is a 2B universal with double overarms and a universal head for verticle milling.The head is #9 B&S.The mill itself is 50NMTB taper.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here are a few pics of the mill. I still haven't had a chance to pop the endmill holder thats in the head out to check the taper type & size.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mill1.jpg   mill2.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yours is indeed double OA. and that vertical head as an addition makes it worth dealing for.Your pictures are so small and leave out some desired details so it's hard to see what the taper in the head might be.Perhaps NMTB 50 or 40?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The pics are from the sellers sale page. I purchased the milling machine yesterday but won't be moving it for a few months. I didn't bring along a big enough wrench to loosen up the draw bar and pop the endmill holder thats in the vertical head out. From eye balling the end of the holder though I'ld say its O.D. at the big end that ends at the spindle surface is in the range of 1 1/4" - 1 3/4". When I go to pick up the vise and other parts like the motor I'll try and pop it out and take some better pics.

I didn't see any arbor brackets that would attatch to the overarms to support the other end of the arbor when horizontal milling so I think that part is missing.

Any Idea where the serial number would be located on this machine? I looked for one but between the rust, grease, and peeling paint I probably missed it. Are manuals still available for these mills?

Thanks a bunch,
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just measured an end mill holder that came with the mill and seems to be a #11 brown & sharpe taper (measured about 1 1/2" on the large end and tapered to about 1 1/4" in about 6"). I'm not sure if it fits the mill though because the seller said he wasn't sure if fit the mill or not. Guess I'll have to wait till I get the one that's in the head out to know for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

The page similar to this linked B&S arbor page but for K&T, states that the 2B has a 11 B&S hole in main spindle.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...isc/SJscan.jpg

This is from the 1942 Catalog 500 by Scully Jones.

John Oder

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Talking Old K&T Spindle Tapers

Hi all: Hope this helps.. Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 001.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had a chance last weekend to go pick up some of the stuff that I purchased along with the mill. The vise is heavy!

It looks like I'm going to have to remove the gearbox, table and knee off the machine along with the vertical head in order to facilitate loading it on my trailer. Are there any helpful tricks or pitfalls to avoid when taking these machines apart?

Thanks for all the help so far,
    Bill
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails div_head.jpg   endmill_holder.jpg   vise.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you are going to take it apart I would certainly suggest that you take lots of pictures and make diagrams of the relative position of parts as they come off to facilitate the reassembly of the table and the gear box. The head should be simple as it clamps to the column and the drive gear fits in the spindle. FWIW I would avoid taking off the table and gear box unless it were absolutly necessary.Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Do not take it apart it is not a BP it is complicated it is a real machine. They are not that heavey a large engine hoist or a lowering trailer or better yet a roll back wrecker i have moved many machines with tow trucks Flat bed type.

Post Thanks / Like

Appears to be a B&S dividing head.

John Oder

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

@ Willk, would love to see more pics when you get it home. Are you going to disassemble and do any reconditioning on it? I've got one here I'm cleaning up and I'm interested in how yours works out for you.
    Kearney Trecker Milwaukee No. 2B

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Been along while but I finally got the machine home. Hired a crane truck and a truck with trailer to load and move it last weekend and put it in my garage. There was some damage frome the chain the place used to tie the machine down to the trailer. Better pictures of the machine to follow in the next week or two.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well...it's 2 years later, but FWIW, my 2BS has an 11 B&S taper. Looking forward to those pics.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here are some quick pics taken the day it was moved. More to follow as time permits.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mill_scan1.jpg   mill_scan2.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you find out what taper your vertical attachment is, please let me know. I bought this fellow not too long ago:

I have the vertical head and would like to hook it up this summer. It came with a few pieces of tooling, everything but the mill is in storage.

Should I find out, I will let you know.

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty easy to measure the big end diameter and refer to this list to see what you have in the way of a B&S taper:

Standard Tapers