What's new
What's new

Kearney and Trecker Model H vertical

Martin Reece

Aluminum
Good day
I am changing the Primary range feed gear bearings on this machine, as well as a few other bearings. This gear is behind the feed and rapid traverse bracket. Do I need to remove this whole assembly? Or can I remove the rapid traverse clutch without removing this bracket. It shows a splined shaft and looks like it should pull straight out? That's how the feed drive gear and shaft come out.
Thanks for any direction
Cheers
Martin

Hi Martin,
if it's a 2H I might be able to help you, I've had mine apart a couple times. I'm pretty sure you'll need to remove the bracket if it's the shaft I think you're speaking of. If you could snap a pic, or reference the part #'s in the parts book it would be helpful.
Taking the bracket off isn't horrible, but it's about a day's work off and back together, especially the first time. It will give you a chance to clean all the 80 year old crud out of there and inspect things. Just be sure when you do to clean ALL of the oil passages that drain oil from the feed and coolant pump drive shafts back to the knee. I apparently missed one and mine drips oil out of the block where the shafts go through. I've been too busy/lazy to take it back apart and lick my calf again, so I made a little sheet metal chute to channel the oil into a plastic butter dish down by the coolant pump.

Thanks
This is a picture of the clutch housing but it can’t be removed until the plate to the right is off. 10499124-B78B-460D-80DD-31C8C4EC69CA.jpg
It’s part 18 on the traverse drive. It just won’t give up. It’s loose but feels like one bolt still holding it. I’ve taken all the screws underneath,for the oil tubes and the screws from the driveshaft guard assembly. Just being stubborn I guess. I never snapped a picture of this part.
I was wondering if one of the gears is holding it some how?
Thanks again
Martin

Back