What's new
What's new

Kearney Trecker Model K #2 Vertical - Spindle Taper?

TMS8C8

Cast Iron
Hey folks - been awhile since I've posted but I've got my eye on an auction that has a Milwaukee #2 Model K vertical for sale. Any idea what the spindle taper would be? The auction has a bunch of CAT 40 tooling and some lots of unlabelled tooling that looks like it's CAT 50. I've got nothing but CAT 50 and was hoping this machine would have been NMTB 50 so I could make my CAT 50 stuff work. If it's a 40 taper machine, I need to be bidding on all that tooling, too!

All K&T vertical/horizontal mills starting with the 2H and up to the largest machines made, all have a NMTB 50 spindles. The model “K” dividing heads also have the #50 taper in them.

Andy

All K&T vertical/horizontal mills starting with the 2H and up to the largest machines made, all have a NMTB 50 spindles. The model “K” dividing heads also have the #50 taper in them.

Andy

We have several K&T 2K mills, as all the reply's here state there NMTB 50 but our high speed vertical heads for the K2 is NMTB 40. so our machines run 50 on the horizontal and with the high speed vertical heads 40.

At the OP, Did you end up getting the 2K? That auction had a nice selection of K&T machines and attachments to choose from. I wanted that #2 Tool & Cutter grinder and the 3CK vertical but I couldn’t get the days off to pick everything up next week. Some of the prices went through the roof but condition is everything.

At the OP, Did you end up getting the 2K? That auction had a nice selection of K&T machines and attachments to choose from. I wanted that #2 Tool & Cutter grinder and the 3CK vertical but I couldn’t get the days off to pick everything up next week. Some of the prices went through the roof but condition is everything.

:) I was like a kid in the candy shop, although it was a bit sad seeing everything auctioned off. The T&C and 3CK vertical didn't get any bids but I contacted the auction house afterwards and they said they had been sold after bidding closed. I was hoping to get the 3CK cheap but it sounds like both machines went to someone who was going to use them, not scrap them - which is all I really cared about. The 2K vertical wound up going for $3k, which I think was a good deal considering the condition and the fact it had the low-lead drive attachment but the change gears for that attachment went for another $600 or something like that. It was too much for my "just-for-fun" budget.

I wound up snagging the 3H horizontal for $400. I think I did okay. It looks like they retrofitted the 3H with the drive from a 3CH. I'll be interested to see exactly what's been done to it...:skep: Could be a great machine, paint job certainly looked nice, but it's partner, an actual 3CH went for an astounding $6600 while this one had no bids. Makes me wonder what everyone else knew that I didn't!

:) I was like a kid in the candy shop, although it was a bit sad seeing everything auctioned off. The T&C and 3CK vertical didn't get any bids but I contacted the auction house afterwards and they said they had been sold after bidding closed. I was hoping to get the 3CK cheap but it sounds like both machines went to someone who was going to use them, not scrap them - which is all I really cared about. The 2K vertical wound up going for $3k, which I think was a good deal considering the condition and the fact it had the low-lead drive attachment but the change gears for that attachment went for another $600 or something like that. It was too much for my "just-for-fun" budget.

I wound up snagging the 3H horizontal for $400. I think I did okay. It looks like they retrofitted the 3H with the drive from a 3CH. I'll be interested to see exactly what's been done to it...:skep: Could be a great machine, paint job certainly looked nice, but it's partner, an actual 3CH went for an astounding $6600 while this one had no bids. Makes me wonder what everyone else knew that I didn't!

Good deal, you did great. Hopefully you were able to get a couple of the arbor supports that were hanging on the wall. Does your new machine have the rear controls? Believe it or not I thought the price for the low lead gears would’ve gone north of $1k. There were 3 complete sets of worms/wheels in there. Then the other $600 lot had all the change gears.

I’m still sick with myself because I didn’t buy that T&C grinder. :ack2:

:bawling: No, I missed out on the arbor supports. I really wanted the outboard support but whoever bid the $6600 on the 3CH must have wanted those awful bad. They quickly shot up beyond what I could afford. I don't expect this to be a money making machine for me, just a toy to replace a Cincinnati #2MH that I've had for a few years so I was trying to keep my spending in-check. This one does have the rear controls. Seems like it should be a big upgrade over my Cinci.

Yeah, I was on the fence with that T&C grinder, too. Ah well... :) Hope something pops up local for you. At least you're in Michigan and not in Alaska or some other machine tool desert!

I wasn't sure whether both those lots belonged together or not. The worms were a dead give away that that lot belonged with the low lead drive but I didn't know if that other pile of change gears was also for the low-lead drive or a standard drive... or maybe they are interchangeable? I don't know much about K&T mills. I own a 2D but it's PTO drive is completely different.

I would have been ecstatic to get a 2k vertical with low lead and gears for $3600. Like jumping out of my skin grinning. And another $600 for the change gears.

Unless they were clapped out garbage. . .

I would have been ecstatic to get a 2k vertical with low lead and gears for $3600. Like jumping out of my skin grinning. And another $600 for the change gears.

Nope. It was out of a shop that specialized in rebuilding K&T equipment. Looked like new, really beautiful. Even included DRO and binder with the user's manual. It was a hell of a deal for someone. Wish it could have been me!

I was really happy to get my little 2hl universal for 400 and later a crated low lead unit for that machine for 800.. I went into debt to get that low lead and never regretted it .....I have not seen any since then for sale anywhere at any price...Cheers; Ramsay 1:)

Back