What's new
What's new

Kearney Trecker serial number registry

jbartosh

Aluminum
Where do you guys go to find information on a machine given the K & T serial number? Or, can someone explain the number system that they use for year identification. Thanks.

They are in this format:

X-XXXX

or

XX-XXXX

First one or two digits tells position of that machine in the lot. I.E., 21 in front of the hyphen indicates 21st machine in a lot that consisted of at least that many machines.

Last four digits indicates lot number.

The only way to tell year made is either look in the Serial Number Reference Book For Metalworking Machinery or the Lot Number book published by K&T.

Both Ramsay (Mike) and myself have lot number books. Mike's goes back further than mine. These lot number books tell quantity in lot, model of machine(s) in the lot and month and year the lot was completed.

This same numbering scheme was also applied to attachments and accessories. The lot number book identifies what they went to.

John Oder

bringing up this old thread I recently purchased a Kearny trecker vertical mill serial # 26 889 wondering if anyone had any info on it

I just recently got a K&T 2HL Universal. Serial Number 21-5207, could someone help me out with a date and any other information.

Thanks

Hello all, just got a k&t mill and wondered if anyone could help with the year of its birth. Its serial number is 29 3690. I figure its about a 1940, but its a little before the registry starts in this thread.
I tried to tell my mother in law that it was a mill that defeated Hitler and saved the world, but i just want to confirm that I was right in telling her she should salute it everytime she walks by it.
Thanks

Thank you guys. That is awesome to know that it is so old. Makes it more special to me. Also think it is cool it probably assisted in the war effort in some way. Wish I knew its whole history.

Thank you guys. That is awesome to know that it is so old. Makes it more special to me. Also think it is cool it probably assisted in the war effort in some way. Wish I knew its whole history.

You can also use this registry to identify attachments .. It is a good way to tell if the particular attachment could be used with a certain machine..I have done this quite a few times.. Cheers Ramsay 1:)

Question John, what happens when they rolled the numbers over? I know this created headaches for Monarch Machine when they used lot numbers. They solved this by going to a 6 digit serial number in the late 20's. SN-01000 was the first use in 1927, if memory is good.

Question John, what happens when they rolled the numbers over? I know this created headaches for Monarch Machine when they used lot numbers. They solved this by going to a 6 digit serial number in the late 20's. SN-01000 was the first use in 1927, if memory is good.

They went to lot 9999 and then changed to a numeric string that meant something to them - you can see some of this (around seventies) in the last section of the lot book Mike put on VM

Kearney & Trecker Co. - Publication Reprints - SERIAL NUMBER REFERENCE - Lot 8526 on | VintageMachinery.org

Kearney & Trecker, new to me...

Folks, I am that guy that went to an auction and came home with an unexpected treat. I bought a Kearney and Trecker, Model D Rotary Mill, serial number 16-5286.

here's my challenge, I have a drawer full of End Mills, but no chuck, collets, or what I would call a Tool holder.
I'm told it has been modified to accept a brown and sharp style Tool.
Im also told it has a 30 Taper Spindle.

any expert out there that can help me sort through this?

Brad

Tool holders were proprietary K&T and were held in the spindle by two differing closure nuts that threaded on spindle. The 30 taper collets have one nut and the 20 taper (inside) "collet holders" have a notched nut that when partially loosened allows the "holder" to drop out

None of this stuff is still made, the last after market supplier that I know of being Sutton Tool who is no longer in business

Thumbnails show the tiny amount that came with my 1968

I think I read that one person made NMTB 30 end mill holders work by thinning flange. I suppose one could make a custom closure nut to accomplish the same thing

There was no draw bar hole on my '68

Folks, I am that guy that went to an auction and came home with an unexpected treat. I bought a Kearney and Trecker, Model D Rotary Mill, serial number 16-5286.

here's my challenge, I have a drawer full of End Mills, but no chuck, collets, or what I would call a Tool holder.
I'm told it has been modified to accept a brown and sharp style Tool.
Im also told it has a 30 Taper Spindle.

any expert out there that can help me sort through this?

Brad

Attachments

• DCP_0218.jpg
    DCP_0218.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 150
  • DCP_0219.JPG
    DCP_0219.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 142
  • DCP_0220.jpg
    DCP_0220.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 152
  • DCP_0221.jpg
    DCP_0221.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 156
Number 29 in a lot of 35 made August 1942... Isn't it nice to have this information for all to share? Ramsay 1:)
I am piggy backing on prior posts. Looking at K & T universal No. 2 BS with serial number of 15-1121. Like to know approximate age and some specifics on weight and what the "BS" suffix references.

Thanks in advance,

KLC in Texas

Back