Kearny Tracker 2HL age and best way to lift?
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Kearny Tracker 2HL age and best way to lift?

I just bought a K&T 2HL Universal today and will debate over having a rigger do the 14 mile trip or DIY with a rented trailer. The first question is age, it's a war finish serial number 67 4396. If one of you historians have a way to date it, that would be great. Any additional information would be icing on the cake.

Second question, what is the safest point or points to lift from? Any guidance will be appreciated.

I took a chance and bought it not running, for two reasons. First, he had drained the oil for transport and second was that even though it is absolutely filthy with a layer of black dust, this is what I saw...

Rescraped and possibly still the original paint? The column has just as much scraping and flaking present. I'll take a series of photos when I get it home and start cleanup.

Mark

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

June, 1943
    I'd pick it up under the base but you could sling it around the overarms.http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2098/6771.pdf

3. Likes Crank liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If that was the one on eBay with the vertical head and overarm support I think you did good.

5. Likes Crank liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes, that's the one. I also bought the original dividing head and about 20+ tool holders. I couldn't stand the thought of the DH being separated.

Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I wanted that dividing head. Glad it stayed with your mill though, kinda.
    You never see them with more than one plate and the tailstock.

8. Likes Crank liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looks like I found out the age.

Lot: 4396, Qty: 70, Description: 2HL Horizontal Machines (MIEHLE), Completed: June, 1943

Much thanks to Vintage Machinery and those that have provided great information like this so that we can have it for reference!

I am now having second thoughts about getting rid of my Bridgeport, the compact size of this little beast makes me think I can shoehorn it into my shop without taking yoga classes to operate both of them. Sneaking it past my refrigerator and workbench (which has a SB shaper on it) might take some creativity and witchcraft, but I will make it happen.

I have never been around one of these in my life, but oddly enough, I seemed to know what and where all of the controls were. It just felt like this machine and I will get along very well. The seller was keen on emphasizing that many of the YouTube machinists have these and personally I never noticed, much less cared. I have zero aspirations to become a YouTube star, but I want to make a lot of chips and this machine seems to have the grunt.

It was funny, the seller was horrified that I would consider selling my Bridgeport and didn't appreciate my comment that it's a big drill press. I'm not belittling what they can do, but I have always felt it wasn't rigid enough and with the 1hp motor, definitely oriented towards lighter work.

I will have my work cut out to give this thing a good cleaning and I'll flush the oiling system thoroughly before I do any serious testing of all the functions. The whole machine is covered in a layer of thick black dust, it reminds me of stuff when I used to work in older car dealerships. The plus side is that layer seems to have kept the rust at bay.

Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Glad you found the info on VM helpful ....I, and others put it there exactly for that purpose...I too have a 2hl war baby with model h dividing head...I was lucky enough to find a low lead attachment with all the gears many years ago on ebay and I could afford to buy it without a second mortgage on my home....

Be sure to change all the fluids, make sure the motor is running in the proper direction BEFORE putting belts on, and be sure that after you get the garbage out of the coolant sump left behind by soluble to refill with light bodied cutting oil and you and your machine will both be happy for a long time...

You will find that this machine is not as handy for things like drilling and tapping holes as with a Bridgeport, but you will soon see that you can run circles around a bridgeport for smooth, rapid metal removal...

I have three K&T machines.. I have a 2d, a 2hl universal, and a 2h plain with various attachments and all of them will fill a five gallon bucket with shavings before you know it...Cheers; Ramsay 1

11. Likes Crank liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I hired a roll off truck to move mine. He backed up to it and winched it on. Charged me $90.00 to move it 20 km. Best money I spent.
    Cheers
    Martin

13. Likes Crank, ramsay1 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Local mover has shot me a quote a bit higher than that, but he loads with a forklift and has been doing this for years. Still worth it, but he's stacked with jobs and it may be a few days. Waiting to hear back to arrange the move.

Mark

15. Likes Martin Reece liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's in the garage! No bloodshed or foul language. A shameless plug for Carl, from Carl's Machinery moving here in San Diego. Great job and just a decent guy to work with, not to mention a fair price to save me the time and sweat.

I only have it located in the middle of the shop until I get it flushed out, cleaned up a bit and make sure everything is running right. Then I'll play Jenga to shoehorn it into a corner and move the Bridgeport over (still not sure I want to keep it).

I went yesterday to bring the vertical attachment and the support bars. NOTE TO SELF: vertical attachment is not sensibly a one-man lift... I'll either make or locate the parking "crane???" attachment, I don't want to kill myself with that thing in the future.

I had to rush out of work, move it and haul butt back, so pictures will have to wait until later today. I'm just glad it's safely at the house. Is there any trick to removing the drawbar from the back of the spindle to remove the drive gear? I tried to loosen it and it barely turned and never loosened. Maybe I'm missing something, so if I'm not thinking this through, please enlighten me.
    Thanks

Mark

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, here are some "dirty pictures"Kearny Tracker 2HL age and best way to lift?

A couple of questions, what happened to the protective brass sleeve on the table axis and what is the plate dangling on the coolant tube?

Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The plate goes on the front of the saddle.
    The brass telescoping tubes get gunked up and when one binds up it gets ripped out instead of sliding.

19. Likes Crank liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The plate makes sense. That's where they had the Trav-a-dial and it seems to be an oiling point.

Is there any chance the sliding tube could be repaired or remade?
    Thanks

Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Probably. The tubes have a ring soldered on the inside like you see on the outside.
    The 2HL vertical I'm working on now has tubes that look just like yours or worse.
    They look cool and everything but there has to be a better way.

22. Likes Crank liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Maybe something like this.McMaster-Carr

24. Likes Crank liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Great ideas there, the big question is how much is involved to remove the shaft to get a new cover/bellows on it???

Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You take off the domed cover plate then thread in a puller into the threads on the exposed end of the shaft to pull it out.

27. Likes Crank liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you for the information.Kearny Tracker 2HL age and best way to lift?

Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Do you have the drive gear and spindle plug for that std hi speed milling head or is it MIA? Just curious.. Ramsay 1

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The drive gear is still in there under the plastic bag. That's what I was asking about to remove it. The drawbar doesn't want to loosen. I pulled the vertical head before the move to minimize top weight.

Mark