Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ramsay1 View Post
    There is a disc on each gear that is machined to the pitch line, that is the same diameter as the pitch line of the teeth.. These two discs revolve together so as to prevent the gear mesh from being to tight...This in some cases can cause difficulty in installing and removing the unit from the machine... The procedure is to bring the overarms flush with the column then install the unit loosely.. Next insert the overarms in the cutter head.. If you do not observe this, the discs on the gears will not allow installation...Ramsay 1
    K&T did not do that on gearsets for all models. I don't know if this was one that used them or not, nor if it may have been age and revision-level dependent.

AFAIK, those integral spacer discs are actually a minority to encounter in the wild, given how old many of the heads as hit the "affordable" market can be.

Adam (his late Dad, actually) included my one AND the slotter head in the modest price of the Quartet mill they had been adapted to. A "reversible" adaptation, as well what with no alterations to the heads. No disc on either. No provision for attaching them.

I've since seen K&T heads listed on ebay at what seemed silly-high asking prices. Until they sold.

There isn't much else out there anywhere near as stout as far as manual-mill angle heads go.

CNC-era angle-heads and "live" tooling to do similar work surely exist, but cost a great deal more, yet, too.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The movable head goes into the base tight , there are shapes , male and female , so when collapsed the gear would line up correctly , I had worked on it ,and had no idea they would separate , as they do, as Ramsay 1 said they would. I thought it was 1 part.Is that what you were thinking , poor alignment , if the base clamp could move ?

Thanks !

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by unobtainum gear View Post
    The movable head goes into the base tight , there are shapes , male and female , so when collapsed the gear would line up correctly , I had worked on it ,and had no idea they would separate , as they do, as Ramsay 1 said they would. I thought it was 1 part.Is that what you were thinking , poor alignment , if the base clamp could move ?

Thanks !
    No, YOUR shaft centerline spacing for the gears is pretty-well hard-set in "the metal". The "in-out" or "along the arms" length of the splined shaft that allows different positioning is not involved in gear CL spacing, regardless.

MY one is an adaptation to non-K&T host - no round-over-arms to control the positioning - just a sliding fit onto dovetails, no built-in position atall.

My gear spacing has to be hand-set.

That's not hard, as interference engagement and the most miserly of back-off - or even NONE - is actually lower-risk than too-loose, where the tooth shapes get leverage instead of smooth power transfer and can get destructive "Real Soon, Now" under loading.

Mind - it IS wise to make damned sure not to allow chips - or any OTHER debris to get into the gear area. And they do try.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Refer to pages 62 and 63 of this manual... Study the drawing and you will understand:

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2098/3418.pdf

Ramsay 1

5. Likes unobtainum gear liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Std hi speed head drive gear for 2h

Here is a gear I cut for a std hi speed head for my 2h plain....Notice the spacer disc cut to the pitch line which is attached by three screws..I also included a picture of the driven gear so that it can be seen how these discs coincide to produce proper tooth backlash....The gear for a 2hl which drives also has a disc attached but the gear itself is attached to the spindle plug with a bolt.. Drive to the gear is via raised lugs which engage in the spindle slots after removal of drive keys.. Ramsay 1
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20140505_125423.jpg   20140505_125445.jpg   20140505_125500.jpg   gear-nick-1.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here is a gear I cut for a std hi speed head for my 2h plain....Notice the spacer disc cut to the pitch line which is attached by three screws..I also included a picture of the driven gear so that it can be seen how these discs coincide to produce proper tooth backlash....The gear for a 2hl which drives also has a disc attached but the gear itself is attached to the spindle plug with a bolt.. Drive to the gear is via raised lugs which engage in the spindle slots after removal of drive keys.. Ramsay 1
    So you would charge the OP how much to make one for his K&T head?

We may have a "solution" here, yah?

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbnail is info referred to in Post # 24

6 is driven gear (small)
    7 is its disc that is same dia as PD of gear
    12 is driver gear (large)
    10 is its disc

Hobby Shop (Post #4) has offered to measure his parts - maybe he will look at this and see if his are the same

Once you KNOW tooth counts and disc diameters all else can be calculated - and that will be the ONLY place the "specs" come from

(Disc + disc) / 2 = center distance
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails k-t-gearing.jpg  

9. Likes ramsay1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here’s a picture of my 2HL standard high speed universal head with drive gear. Always learning, I made the mistake of assuming it was the HD because it weighs 160lbs. .

Andy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails f69ca07a-1d82-42cd-ad54-48ae2c4194c7.jpg   c1fa4cbf-f1b8-49a0-86a2-4c16cd9a2f61.jpg   76c0a88c-f1ed-4206-9f9a-0dec9e4768fb.jpg   5b8c72d0-92e5-459c-aaee-ee8f0823fa59.jpg   a26dd12b-f337-4a81-b80b-875d65231278.jpg  

11. Likes rustytool, ramsay1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Andy: How is the gear attached to the spindle plug? Where is the disc for the drive gear? Is there a disc on the driven gear? What is the tooth count of both gears? Ramsay 1

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hobby Shop View Post
    Here’s a picture of my 2HL standard high speed universal head with drive gear. Always learning, I made the mistake of assuming it was the HD because it weighs 160lbs. .

Andy
    ..which cause ME to test-weigh meself on the "Dymo" 400 lb-capable remotable readout luggage/packaging scale and carry down to the shop, place it near the K&T heads' wheelie-cart.... only to find it had suicided during the gentlest of journeys. The Dymo scale. Not the K&T head. New AAA and/or wall-wart, No Joy.

"OT":

Avoid Office Depot / Staples "Dymo" branded scales. It hadn't hit even its 20th weighing of luggage & such.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    That's the mystery. Still-yet.

He came here SEEKING the tooth-count of the missing gear.

Question from Ramsay1 is directed to Hobby Shop and is related to the offer in Post #4

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by johnoder View Post
    Question from Ramsay1 is directed to Hobby Shop and is related to the offer in Post #4
    NOW it is...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Andy: How is the gear attached to the spindle plug? Where is the disc for the drive gear? Is there a disc on the driven gear? What is the tooth count of both gears? Ramsay 1
    Here’s a picture of the front. Its exactly the same as the part print. I’ll get some more pictures of the driven side tomorrow. Part# 22569 is etched on the disc.

Andy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5b4d6c63-3908-4c97-a97e-cab4da37a502.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here is what I have for the horizontal head. One is the heavy duty with associated drive gear. The second is the light duty with associated gear. Both are 50taper. Sitting on top of the mill table are the two gears. The one on left is the heavy duty and the right is the light duty.

My goal was to have both of them cleaned up and in use, just been too busy and I have a Cincinnati Universal that I am able to use when needed. Priorities have kept me from setting these up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_2845.jpg   img_2846.jpg   img_2848.jpg   img_2849.jpg   img_2850.jpg  

18. Likes ramsay1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just a hint of some of the math that lies ahead - compliments of Mr. Buckingham

From helix angle comes lead required to be set up on the mill, and though both large and small gears will have the same but other hand helix angle, the leads will be different in direct proportion to the large and small pitch diameters
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails helix-angle-suit-center-distance.jpg  

20. Likes Zahnrad Kopf, ramsay1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Andy: Thanks for the reply... Your picture should make it all as "clear as mud".. lol.. Seriously, in your picture one can see the spacer disc and the four notched bolt which holds the gear onto the spindle plug...Now that we know we have the right gear, the guessing should be over.. Ramsay 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Std Hi Speed Gear

In figure #3 of post #34, it can be seen that the drive bracket is indeed a separate part of the unit hence the need for spacer discs on the drive and driven gears....This should clear up any misunderstandings.. This particular unit (Std Hi Speed) is quite different from most of the units made by Kearney and Trecker.. Ramsay 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've offered this before with no takers. If someone is willing to offer up a sample of the drive gear(s). I will reverse engineer the gear, make some at a nominal price for forum members. This is not rocket science- just need someone to step up. Dan

24. Likes Zahnrad Kopf, rustytool, Kegs3535 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan from Oakland View Post
    I've offered this before with no takers. If someone is willing to offer up a sample of the drive gear(s). I will reverse engineer the gear, make some at a nominal price for forum members. This is not rocket science- just need someone to step up.
    Dan
    I have as well. And you are well aware of what happens right after the conversation occurs. So, I gave up trying to help. Wasn't worth the hassle. I hope for your sake that has changed.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

PM sent. Thanks