Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by unobtainum gear View Post
    Thank you all for all the help. I had PM'd John Oder in hopes that he would read between the lines , Where did you come up with these numbers? Daniel ? Now I feel I have to share what's going on. I have a private source that has provided me with a K&T drawing , and some of those numbers dont agree with the info John Oder had provided , the very numbers I used to draw the gear in fusion 360 . I did promise my source not to share the drawing , and am going to keep my word . But I need to know how to convert the numbers , to plug into fusion 360 , so I may "try " to make a gear in the 3 axis cnc , I am new to that also , it's more about the chase , life would go on even without the K&T , it's fun to try to resolve this. THANK all of you for helping , I did look and study the numbers John Oder had provided , and am grateful for all the help he has given , although I do not understand it completely , and would be no where with out it. Please don't get upset , there is a reason , and now you know the rest of the story.

Thanks Again John Oder and everyone else.
    Now how to convert those numbers ???,,,,
    NOW you tell us?

I had only dood wot I dood SOONER so as to open that partic'lar Kimono?

The REST of us might not be so wore-out-weary a hundred PM posts in.. and counting....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I hope this is not giving away too much , but seems real to me ?
    What a joke. That print is a slap in the face as to what this forum is all about. Many guys have gone above and beyond to help complete strangers get their machines up and running again.

I hope you and your “source” have enough pride to NEVER use the “free” manuals on VM. Some of the guys that donated copies of those “free” manuals are the same guys that we’re trying to help you with this gear. Keep your little secret to yourselves.

3. Likes Zahnrad Kopf liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Now how to convert those numbers ???
    Guess its up to you since they are - we assume - not to be shared, which seems as it should be

Pretty good trick to ask for help in "converting" something that can't be seen

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

that's info I PM you , sorry for all the trouble

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    NOW you tell us?
    I had only dood wot I dood SOONER so as to open that partic'lar Kimono?
    The REST of us might not be so wore-out-weary a hundred PM posts in.. and counting....

Quote Originally Posted by Zahnrad Kopf View Post
    No good deed goes unpunished. Like the saying goes, "Some people you just can't help... "

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So, you want everyone else to assist you, but have no interest in assisting anyone else in the same shoes you wear?

Good luck with that. Let us know how that works out for you. My guess is that you'll get directed to go pound sand from here, on out. And I won't blame them one single, solitary bit.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So, you want everyone else to assist you, but have no interest in assisting anyone else in the same shoes you wear?

Good luck with that. Let us know how that works out for you. My guess is that you'll get directed to go pound sand from here, on out. And I won't blame them one single, solitary bit.
    Thank you for demonstrating how well-mannered a true Professional can in resisting the urge to brand some other entity a greedy little one-way-c**t.

As has been said, "American Diplomacy" is being able to give directions as to the route to Hell so elegantly the prospective traveller is actually looking forward to the trip...

Another seventy or so years, I may become that mellow myself. Now where's that marked-up Texaco road map again???

Post Thanks / Like

All I got out of the PM Dan, is (if I recall correctly) as follows, and you SURE WOULD NOT be giving away any secrets if you posted the entirety of your PM here

1. You did not know what certain common notations meant - I think it was about degrees - decimal and other wise

2. You had no idea what helix angle meant - though very well covered in various posts - like 35 and 81

3. You had no idea that there were two differing "DP" for the same helical tooth - normal and transverse (or as Buckingham states, IN THE PLANE OF ROTATION)

If you care to repost that PM in this thread I'll bet you will get an earful - and not give away any "secrets"
    Last edited by johnoder; 09-30-2018 at 06:40 PM.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not true , there would be someone here , that will have all the info , and that is not bound to keep the secret , John Oder , How many people , right now need this 24 tooth gear? When I make mine , I will make others.( if I figure it out ) It was at post 85 that I got the drawing , so with out releasing the drawing , John Oder , a strong contributor to this group would have info and help the group , with proprietary ,and correct K&T info. This could have ended with an update from me , with me making a gear for anyone. for much less than any quote I have gotten.
    I notice your offer to make it kinda went away , huh ?

I will go monday , to Bingham and Taylor , and get some mold sand , and start packing.

Where does all the hate come from ,This was not done ?

Still today John Odem is the closest to having an answer , and I was working on getting that corrected .

I guess I have sand to pack !

Thanks!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by johnoder View Post
    All I got out of
    1. You did not know...
    2. You had no idea ...

3. You had no idea ...
    Karl Gustaf Patrik de Laval developed a steam turbine. And a nozzle.

Not an especially useful one until improved by what was to become Alstholm. During his lifetime, he may have benefited more from the byproducts. A cream separator. And milking machines.

Key to useful turbine application?

Spiral helical reduction gears. Balanced, even.

Conceived, calculated, and executed to an astonishing degree of precision and durability, and in small space for what they had to do, those were.

No "CNC".

A "computer" was paper, pencil, ink....and BRAIN, HUMAN, Type One, Class One, Mark One, Standard "A".

Had
    to be.

Gustaf had run out his chosen tasking and was buried. 1913.

But there is always someone convinced not a soul as ever lived knew anything much atall worth paying the least attention to.... until HE arrived ...with an agenda.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not true , there would be someone here , that will have all the info , and that is not bound to keep the secret , John Oder , How many people , right now need this 24 tooth gear? When I make mine , I will make others.( if I figure it out ) It was at post 85 that I got the drawing , so with out releasing the drawing , John Oder , a strong contributor to this group would have info and help the group , with proprietary ,and correct K&T info. This could have ended with an update from me , with me making a gear for anyone. for much less than any quote I have gotten.

I will go monday , to Bingham and Taylor , and get some mold sand , and start packing.

Where does all the hate come from ,This was not done ?

Still today John Odem is the closest to having an answer , and I was working on getting that corrected .

I guess I have sand to pack !

Thanks!
    I beg you to stop dreaming and be more realistic: there are a few lethal flaws in your plans.
    First, it is rather obvious that you do not have much experience cutting gears and have almost no clue about helical gears: Most of the people in need of that particular gear will more likely try cutting it themselves, or pay somebody with experience and proper machinery to make one, with more chances that will work correctly.
    Second, even assuming that everybody in need of that gear were to buy it from you, you won't have many customers after all. It is true that a good number of vertical and universal heads have lost the driving gear. But the bad news is that there are so many variations, with different helical angles, pitches, etc., that you would be covering only a fairly small slice of the market.
    Third, I would be ready to bet that at least one of the members here, disappointed by your behavior is already packing his mating gear to send it to Dan tomorrow morning as soon as the post office will open.

Good luck!

Paolo

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

with me making a gear for anyone. for much less than any quote I have gotten.
    Good Grief!

Ok . it's one thing to not have a good grasp of gear geometry. Not everyone has to deal with that.

But that part as to how you can come out of ignorance to make a gear for "much less" than folk with all the right SPECIALIZED equipment, plus years and tears of experience at running a business WHILST making gears? And NOT getting rich off the back of it?

That further makes it clear you've precious little grasp of grocery-store Arithmetic, either.

There's no "hate" involved when trying to help a dreamer understand he's has been foolish. Helping hand towards a less risky future, rather. Whether you yet value it or ever do.

I don't care if you pound sand up your patootie, used motor oil, roofing nails, scrap carbide inserts, or Naval Jelly.

Just stop taking for granted you can blow smoke up OURS and then... try to ADD a "guilt trip" because you ran out the dream-candy rations.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a private source that has provided me with a K&T drawing , and some of those numbers dont agree with the info John Oder had provided , the very numbers I used to draw the gear in fusion 360 . I did promise my source not to share the drawing , and am going to keep my word . But I need to know how to convert the numbers , to plug into fusion 360 , so I may "try " to make a gear in the 3 axis cnc , I am new to that also ,

< snippage of blather >
    Well, since you are "new to that also", you would be well advised to disabuse yourself of the notion that F360 ( and the available plugin to model Involutes ) handles them correctly, or suitably for purposes of machining.

Of course, a person as skilled as yourself that plans to sell off the extras they make in effort to make a statement about pricing they disagree with based in ignorance of the subject matter probably already knows this, though.

Educate us - What are these quotes coming in at, that you consider them so unacceptable? Just so others may be prepared...

You confuse me with someone else, it seems. You were supposed to email Dan From Oakland about his offer. Given your confusion, one has to wonder if you even ever did that...

This could have ended with an update from me , with me making a gear for anyone. for much less than any quote I have gotten.
    It's always good to start the week off with robust humor. Thank you.

15. Likes Paolo_MD liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's always good to start the week off with robust humor. Thank you.
    "Unobtanium" said:

This could have ended with an update from me , with me making a gear for anyone. for much less than any quote I have gotten.
    LOL! "much less" quote? Or "much less" GEAR?

Did sort of remind me of the "Mad Magazine" take-off on "You're in good hands with Allstate" inch-hoorance commercial.

Guy's on a pay phone..

"Yes, you replaced my loss. But how the hell am I supposed to LIVE in a house so small I can hold it in my two hands?"

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

ALERT !!
    I found a gear on ebay , not the right one for me , no spacer disc but for $200 bucks.43 teeth , someone needs it !
    I don't know if it's 40 or 50 taper. I'm sure the gods here will chime in.

kearney trecker kt vertical head drive gear | eBay

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Alert #2
    The guy has a second one listed . 50 taper and 32 teeth still $200. What a find !

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Alert #2
    The guy has a second one listed . 50 taper and 32 teeth still $200. What a find !
    kearney trecker kt drive gear | eBay

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Thanks / Like

Alert #2
    My old non adjustable (from column face) direct drive (not a high speed head) uses a pair of 32 tooth jobs on my 2CH. This is the heavy duty double swivel head - like the thumbnail
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails scan-01.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

ALERT !!
    I found a gear on ebay , not the right one for me , no spacer disc but for $200 bucks.43 teeth , someone needs it !
    I don't know if it's 40 or 50 taper. I'm sure the gods here will chime in.

kearney trecker kt vertical head drive gear | eBay
    Wonder if it fits my 2K