What's new
What's new

L & S 16". looking for info

woodsrider845

Hot Rolled
Came across a 16" lodge and shipley. Making arrangements to go look at her, and, well, as we all know too well, probably coax her into coming home with me.

The seller provided the serial number, 23844.
Anyone have any info on this girl? I'd like to know a little about her origins, so it's not a total blind date.

Thanks in advance.

About early twenties (On Edit - fall 1918) - could be cone head or gear head

Thanks to Mike C. for scans from 1916

Has unique spindle nose - next to impossible to find spindle tooling for

Attachments

• L&Spg28.jpg
    L&Spg28.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 81
  • L&Spg30.jpg
    L&Spg30.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 66
  • L&Spg9.jpg
    L&Spg9.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Thank you, Mr. Oder. It is a gear head. Comes with quite a bit of tooling, but im not sure if mulitple chucks and/or faceplates.

Thank you.

So, she comes with a 3 jaw and 4 jaw chuck, steady rest, and a bunch of tooling. Hoping to go check her out tonight.

Slow, but really great machines. I am always just amazed at how comfortable my 18" is to operate, they laid everything out right. Very innovative designs, like the weird, but very functional spindle nose. Even 100years on, they are still a serious industrial quality machine. Very rigid and accurate.

So..... All three spindle speed levers are busted, from tipping over, and the carriage skips, from tipping, supposedly the hand wheel gear broke, was repaired, and then filed down too far, so it skips over that area.

Otherwise, I'd have brought her home today. Still mulling it over.....

Hand wheel gear is a little pinion - which turns a great big gear that drives the rack pinion - which is a fairly massive piece you can slide out to disengage rack pinion from rack. The big gear is what is power fed - hope its not messed up.

Scan from 1916 - thanks to Mike C

The only time you would notice skipping was if the hand wheel pinion was damaged and you were hand feeding the carriage

ON EDIT - add photos from having my 24" apron off

So..... All three spindle speed levers are busted, from tipping over, and the carriage skips, from tipping, supposedly the hand wheel gear broke, was repaired, and then filed down too far, so it skips over that area.

Otherwise, I'd have brought her home today. Still mulling it over.....

Attachments

• L&Spg6.jpg
    L&Spg6.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 75
  • Dcp_1118.jpg
    Dcp_1118.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 72
  • Dcp_1117.jpg
    Dcp_1117.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 83
  • Dcp_1116.jpg
    Dcp_1116.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Much as I hate to say it, unless all the handles, their spoon shaped latches and the springs are there, and it's practically free, I'd have to let that go. The latching handles are required to keep it locked in gear. There are no detents, so that's the only thing that prevents it sliding out of gear.

Everything is there. You can pull the latch pins out, and push them back in for engagement. It is running as is. Not quite free. but less than a grand as a starting price.

Made a deal. She's coming home. Along with a smallish horizontal mill. I'll get pictures when I move them, If/when this frozen liquid sunshine stops falling.

If you have the cover off later (to check such things as the felt filters over oil ports in spindle bearings) - it will look like a smaller version of this 24"

Attachments

• DCP_0988.jpg
    DCP_0988.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 71
  • DCP_0989.jpg
    DCP_0989.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 64
  • DCP_0990.JPG
    DCP_0990.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 72
  • DCP_0991.jpg
    DCP_0991.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 66
....and I am now the owner of one of the elusive, and hard to find info on, Douglas Machinery horizontal mills. I What can I say? I'm a sucker for smaller horizontals with a dovetail ram, and it looked despondent when she heard the lathe was leaving, sooooo... Shitty part now is the weather. I don't care about freezing cold, but this ice/rain/sleet/snow crap? Nah, my girls will not be subjected to this crap.

They are home, safe and sound. And warm. Did I mention warm. Their previous place of residence was unheated. Brrrrrrr.....

So between the buckets of taper shank drill bits and the 40 lbs of lathe bits, I made out like a bandit. When you consider the aloris ca tool post and 5 holders, well, I think I banged the kings only (hot) daughter.

Thanks, John, but, SHIT!!!!! I just realized, looking at that picture, my thread dials not there. insert very angry foul language here.

Thanks, John, but, SHIT!!!!! I just realized, looking at that picture, my thread dials not there. insert very angry foul language here.

Cobble one up. Mike C can tell how many teeth is on the "skinny" gear for the 4 pitch screw - and I can take photos of my 24" job
( which is for 2 pitch screw)

They mounted on a vertical post screwed into the bottom of the saddle with a left hand thread

Ages ago in CT I made one with a WOODEN (hard Maple) gear for my 13" SB - probably still works fine. Its not like the gear has any work to do.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

Oh, by the way...... You may not want to run these with the gear train cover off...... hehehehehehehe.... That big gear really does move A LOT of oil, even in only a 1/4 revolution.:eek:

Back