What's new
What's new

L&S 1610 Powerturn Missing Apron Gibs

Ja_cain

Cast Iron
So I was just working on turning my leveling pads and decided I wanted to lock the carriage down while doing some facing. Noticed that the carriage would lock down despite tightening the hex screw. After doing so poking around and looking at the parts manual, I noticed the apron jibs are missing. Lol Thinking of giving Monarch a call and see if they might be able to supply some drawings. I assume they are cast iron. Looking for advice on he beat way to go about this. Anyone had any luck dealing with Monarch on things like this? Thanks in advance for any help/advice.PXL_20211208_174138794.jpgPXL_20211208_174131746.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

If I can obtain the drawings, I'm thinking of making them out of a soft material so they wear in easily. Then I should have a fingerprint. Just trying to figure out the beast material to use.

I've never seen where those front gibs ever serve a purpose. In theory, it supposed to prevent the saddle from lifting up from heavy cutting. There is enough weight and mass in the carriage and apron of that lathe that it is not going to lift up during a heavy cut. If it ever does, something catastrophic is fixing to take place! And I don't want to be anywhere close when it does!

The originals are made of cast iron.

I may have a couple of those gibs that were removed from a L & S lathe in the past. I'm sure it's the same gib used on both the Model X and Powerturn lathes. I'll try to remember to look for them and let you know.

Ken

I've never seen where those front gibs ever serve a purpose. In theory, it supposed to prevent the saddle from lifting up from heavy cutting. There is enough weight and mass in the carriage and apron of that lathe that it is not going to lift up during a heavy cut. If it ever does, something catastrophic is fixing to take place! And I don't want to be anywhere close when it does!

The originals are made of cast iron.

I may have a couple of those gibs that were removed from a L & S lathe in the past. I'm sure it's the same gib used on both the Model X and Powerturn lathes. I'll try to remember to look for them and let you know.

Ken
Ken, that would be awesome if you had two or even one. I feel like the carriage clamp needs the back one to work. I would love to find a steady rest too. Not sure what the original dimensions were as I might just buy something that is close and modify it. Thanks a million for responding and the potential score.

Justin

Ken

I had been thinking the same thing, that those were more of a safety.

I don't know about an L & S, but typically a carriage lock will grab the underside of bed and pull carriage down harder. Again I don't know an L & S, but if the carriage lock is not stopping the carriage, I'm wondering if its oriented correctly, or another issue maybe. I can't imagine the carriage lock should be strong enough to lift the rear side of carriage, plus it might move tool tip if it did. I'm just thinking there's something else going on.

The carriage lock is a big chunk of cast iron about 3" x 4" x 1-1/2" thick. At least that was on my 20" L & S Model X lathe. Even with the hold down bolt tighten, you can still crank the carriage with difficulty. Personally, on big lathes like this one, I've never lock down the carriage on facing cuts, no matter how heavy of cut. Once you get a feel of operating larger machines like this, you realize the un-necessary of doing certain things like locking the carriage down like you would do on a 9" SBL. Just my opinion here. Ken

So far no luck locating those gibs. I have one more place to look but I have to move a bunch of stuff to get to the bins that have the left overs from the L & S lathe I had. Worst comes to worse, I know where a lathe is located I could borrow the gibs off of. Be tough explaining why I removed them though.

So far no luck locating those gibs. I have one more place to look but I have to move a bunch of stuff to get to the bins that have the left overs from the L & S lathe I had. Worst comes to worse, I know where a lathe is located I could borrow the gibs off of. Be tough explaining why I removed them though.
I definitely appreciate you looking for me!

Justin

Back