What's new
What's new

L & S 1610 Stuck Index Knob

Ja_cain

Cast Iron
Was wondering if anyone would have any insight as to why the index dial won't spin/move? Rotated locking lever and it still wouldn't budge. This is the last issue I am having with this lathe. Hoping I don't have to deal dive into the QCGB to address it. Thanks!

Justin

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
View attachment 304398

Ok, so the lever to the left of the 1-11 numbered index dial opens a pair of alligator jaw things. This allows the index dial to now spin. What the index dial is is a pinion gear that works on a curved rack on a shifter yoke. When the pinion actuates the rack, the shifter yokes moves left and right to slide a tumbler gear back and forth on the christmas tree of gears. (This is the same thing you do manually on an open qcgb lathe, the yoke is just a big lever sticking out)

The most usual way for the dial to get jammed is that the shifter yoke is not put back right or the dial is not indexed properly. Essentially, the shifter yoke is rides on a rod that runs between the front and back faces of the QCGB. The yoke and its rod and the shifting shoe need to be lined up correctly when reinstalling the outer plate/cover of the QCGB. Another possibility is that the dial needs to be indexed correctly. In other words, the dial goes back and forth between 1-11, but can’t spin all the way around. Like, if you out the outer plate back on with the dial at 11, but the gear at position 1, it would be all messed up.

Another possibility is a bent shaft or damaged gear somewhere, obviously.

I wouldn’t worry too much about opening the QCGB too much. The hardest part is taking the taper pins out of the opening lever and knobs so that you can take the QCGB front plate off. The front plate comes off pretty easily. Only the shifter yoke really stands to fall out. Most everything stays put inside (drain the oil first though!). The shifter yoke is a bit persnickety to get back in with the dial lined up, but you really just have to think about the way the dial turns, and the direction the pinion moves the rack as it goes 1-11 or 11-1. I just can’t remember whether extreme left or extreme right is position 1 or 11 at the moment. Just figure out which is which extreme, put the tumbler and yoke there, dial accordingly, and then put the face plate back on.

I dunno if that makes any sense.

Lodge & Shipley "Powerturn" Lathes

Has a picture of the inside of the QCGB down a ways on the page. You can see the alligator jaws clearly (two rails that have have circle cutouts along them. You can just make out the curved rack in the upper right.

I guess what I might be trying to say, is that it may take a bit of digging. Essentially, once the alligator jaws are open, the dial spins super easily with a light touch. Sometimes it takes a little wiggle to get the jaws to close on a number to line up the gears, but changing the dial is smooth. The only easy solution would be did you open the lever all the way (it rotates far, like 135*) or is there a bunch of old oil or paint around the dial?

Oh wait, are you looking at that Mebane, NC lathe you talked about earlier? I think the alligator opening lever is broken off or missing.

See red circled area.

Attachments

• 1A863471-8543-4386-8700-EA4C5DD46E4D.jpg
    1A863471-8543-4386-8700-EA4C5DD46E4D.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 24
Oh wait, are you looking at that Mebane, NC lathe you talked about earlier? I think the alligator opening lever is broken off or missing.

See red circled area.
That's the one. It's possible I didn't open the alligator enough. Did not note the range of motion. If the Index knob was indexed wrong, would that keep it from turning at all? It's completely locked up. I also did not see any fluid in the QCGB. Thanks a lot for all of the info! I actually grabbed a pic of some of the pages from the parts manual. The real question is wether ai should take a chance. Managed to get all of the other things working. This the only thing left, which is pretty significant. Lol!PXL_20201111_173822199.jpg

Thinking about it, if the dial is indexed wrong, it should still spin, just show the wrong number. The dial spins all the way around when it is off the lathe if I remember correctly.

Too bad I just closed up and resealed my QCGB like a month ago (just a cleaning). I could have taken some pictures.

Thinking about it, if the dial is indexed wrong, it should still spin, just show the wrong number. The dial spins all the way around when it is off the lathe if I remember correctly.

Too bad I just closed up and resealed my QCGB like a month ago (just a cleaning). I could have taken some pictures.
That pic on Lathes.com is pretty good. I really don't want to let this lathe get away of I can fix this. I got the feed clutches adjusted and belts tightened which was nice. My gut feeling is the dial sticking is just something simple. I made him an offer, so I guess we'll see what happens.

Back