What's new
What's new

Late 1800's/Early 1900's Cincinnati Universal No. 2 swivel carriage

a2lute

Plastic
So I recently acquired a Universal No. 2 Mill. It looks to be from 1897-1900 based on others I have seen. I have gotten most parts of the manual feeds working (power feed was busted on this) But I cannot get the swivel to turn. I have loosened the T bolt/Nut I am pointing at, but it still does not move. I even tried pushing on the table with a forklift & a wood block & just turned the machine. Is there anything else I need to loosen first? The manual I found says there is only one T bolt holding it.

If anyone knows more about this or has something to check I would appreciate it!
Cincinnati Universal No. 2 (1).jpgCincinnati Universal No. 2 (2).jpgCincinnati Universal No. 2 (3).jpgCincinnati Universal No. 2 (4).jpgCincinnati Universal No. 2 (5).jpg

Thanks John,

But I did find a manual with very good schematics for this. Are they rare? It's just a 1897 version of the "Treatise on Milling and Milling Machines" , I can email it to anyone who P.M.'s me. That one does seem to look just like mine. Plus the last patent date on mine is 1896. I did check the back for another nut, didn't see anything. I have found that some schmuck painted over the dial on the swivel. Along with some swarf in the T-slot I'm wondering if paint & rust is holding it down...

-Arrmon

There is a circular T-slot for clamping at any angle. The table and saddle need to be removed so this T-slot can be cleaned.
Here are some details from the 1897 Cincinnati: "A Treatise on Milling and Milling Machines" (57MB).
Top - hidden views.jpgCircular T-Slot.jpgNo 2 Specs.jpgBack Gear image.jpgBack Gear details.jpg
John

I'm wondering if, instead of bolts, some are cams, like on K&T and other universal mills.

What about the two "nut-looking things" circled in the picture?

Paolo

Cincinnati_Universal_No._2.jpg

What about the two "nut-looking things" circled in the picture?
Paolo

View attachment 290852
Those are for clamping the table.

No idea where the "four strong bolts" are located. Cincinnati does not give any exact details where the other three are located in the 1897-1902-1903 manuals.
The year of manufacture for the mill does seem to be very close to 1897. A photo showing the rear of the mill and the lower feed pulleys would help.
Here are a few more enlarged images. The circular T-slot shown is in the inverted position and that implies the fasteners go in from underneath.
Swival Clamp.jpgTypical for 1897.jpgSection Views.jpg1897  No 2.jpgNo 2 Univrsal 1902-1903.jpg
John

Pretty close but here is my guess after some review. The section view does not show a second T-slot in the Saddle. From the descriptions I would say there is one we know about and three that are hidden and as John says they must be underneath(the saddle)?

John
Typical for 1897-revised view.jpg
By the way, that is a very nice Cincinnati horizontal mill :D

It's kind of puzzling that they'd be using two T-slots, one on each mating surface, unless their arcs have different radii: the "strong bolt" on the front would use the T-slot in the saddle (not depicted in the drawings), whereas the others (accessible from the underside) would use the T-slot in the "swivel carriage".

Paolo

Mystery Solved! Very long bolt with Acme thread pictured below seems to lock the swivel as well as the T nut. I'm not sure exactly how it engages, but I will find that out someday when I restore her. Right now I have all the adjustments moving except the power feed, which was broke off. If anyone happened to have a spare lower cone pulley & arm that would be awesome! other than that I'll just make a bracket and drive it with a servo. No need to be period specific if I don't have original parts in my eyes.
Mill Swivel (1).jpgMill Swivel (2).jpgMill Swivel (3).jpg

I will need to power her up, confirm the gearbox & motor are in good shape next!

I don't understand much from the pictures. Were they the two bolts/nuts I indicated in post #7, or was it something else?

Paolo

I don't understand much from the pictures. Were they the two bolts/nuts I indicated in post #7, or was it something else?

Paolo

No, but you were close! the two bolts you indicated are in my third picture on post #13. (Thanks for the rotate!) The ones you indicated are the two small ones in the front. It seems like they may hold the table on? The longer one in the back was locking the swivel. It goes on the LH side facing the work station side of the machine on the side of the saddle. You can see my pinky pointing at the hole it goes in and my index pointing at the long bolt in the first picture.

Back