What's new
What's new

Lathe Chuck and tool post sizing

skipd1

Cast Iron
I have a recent acquisition of a 1938 Hendey 12x30 gearhead lathe and I want to correctly size the chuck and quick change tool post for it. This machine is an RS or raised swing model and its maximum swing is 14 1/2 inches. The original purchase invoice in 1938 showed it shipped with a 10 inch 3 jaw chuck. The person I purchased it from included a new 8" 3 jaw and I am wondering if the 10 inch would be a better choice. I also assume a 10 inch 4 jaw would also work? I also assume that a CXA tool post size is okay as well?

Skipd1

You can run any size chuck you want as long as it and the jaws extended, will clear the ways and carriage wings. My advice is, stay with the 8" 3-jaw chuck and go with a 10" 4-jaw. This is what I run on my 14" lathe even though it is not a Hendy. Ken

I went with an 8" chuck on my 16" Hendey as I wanted the chuck body to clear the cross slide for certain operations. The majority of my work is under 8" as well. If I need extra capacity there is the 10" 4 jaw that came with the machine or a 16" monster 4 jaw I got several years back.

I'd keep the 4 jaw you have now but for a 12" lathe I wouldn't want anything bigger than a 6" 3 jaw for daily use.

I'd also consider going to a Multifix tool post setup if it fits your budget.

Back