What's new
What's new

Leblond Regal 15x30

Maverick302

Aluminum
Can anyone shed some light as to the age of this machine? Any features that are desirable or undesirable compared to other models/years? I'm told it was used in a university setting and the ways are "like new." It comes with a Hardinge collet chuck, and a new import 3 jaw, but not much else. No steady, follow, taper attachment, etc... It's a 3hp 3ph unit, and I think it's just about the ideal machine for my space (garage shop so power and space start becoming issues if I go any larger). Should I jump on it if the condition is as he says? Or should I hold out for a better model?

DSCF5247.jpg2.jpg1.jpg

Circa 1955~1960 Regal... the rounded top on the tailstock housing and legs that angle inward then out at the very bottom are the identifiers.

Machine tools from a school setting typically have had minimal use and minimal care or maintenance.

Mike

For a machine that age I'd say it depends but this machine looks pretty good to me. You see tons of these things sitting in a barn or outside covered in rust which makes it hard to even do a good inspection. This one looks like you could go right to work on it. For me it'd definitely be in the running for a great home shop machine if the price was right (what is the price BTW)? Check all spindle speeds, open the headstock and take a peak, inspect ways, inspect lead screw, and take it home... Gear drive, likely pretty stout, enclosed QCGB, 3hp is perfect for home shop. If it takes change gears are they present?

For a machine that age I'd say it depends but this machine looks pretty good to me. You see tons of these things sitting in a barn or outside covered in rust which makes it hard to even do a good inspection. This one looks like you could go right to work on it. For me it'd definitely be in the running for a great home shop machine if the price was right (what is the price BTW)? Check all spindle speeds, open the headstock and take a peak, inspect ways, inspect lead screw, and take it home... Gear drive, likely pretty stout, enclosed QCGB, 3hp is perfect for home shop. If it takes change gears are they present?

Price is $2850, and doesn't sound negotiable.

It was confirmed on another forum there are no change gears required, beyond transposing to metric.

He knows what he has then. To me it's a good price for the machine in good running condition in my mind. If it's powered and you can see it run in all gears and have him do a test cut I would take it for the asking price. Love to have it in my shop.

Edit: I see there is much more discussion at the HSM site... 5 hour drive for this one makes it much trickier to evaluate all of the above. No steady isn't a deal breaker to me as it is for some, easy enough to build.

Back