What's new
What's new

Leblond Servo Shift 3220 issues

jjdude

Plastic
I have a Leblond 3220 with the servo shift system. I walked into a rats nest on this machine. It has the servo shift mechanism and has never really shifted properly. The active RPM has never matched the set RPM since I have owned it. It was always about one step off. Recently somethingelse went wrong and now the shifting is all over the place. Once in about 10 times it will shift properly. Otherwise the active RPM will be way off and the speed selector dial jumps to between gears, if it shifts. I have noticed the cylinder system in the rear of the headstock just keeps cycling and no shift is made. The shift levers move really jerky , when they decide to. I did notice the head pressure was low, so I had the pump rebuilt. It was running about 100 psi before the rebuild and still running 100 psi now, with the compensator turned all the way in. The machine has had the zero speed swich removed and I plan on adding the push button as descibed in another thread. Has anyone had any experiance with this machine or run into similar problems? Thanks! :bawling:

I have a Regal Servo Shift 19" lathe that is currently down and waiting on my purchase of a $350.00 Servo Shift Slide Assembly. I have a push button on mine and might just buy another zero speed indicator so I can go back to automatic operation.

My lathe had a different problem but maybe was caused by the same part. I lost all the top range speeds. When we took off the headstock cover and hit the shift it was apparent that there was a problem with the slide assembly since oil was shooting from the top of it. Make sure you have a piece of plexiglass over the top or you will get an oil bath. When we removed the slide assembly we found one of the plastic slides cracked.

A call to LeBlond confirmed that the plastic slide assembly is only purchased as an assembly. I have not done this yet. Since our symptoms are different this may not be your problem but the odds are that it's the slide or somewhere near it.

Also check out this article:
LeBlond Regal Engine Lathes

Walter

The LeBlond 3220 has a completely different servo shift (read complex!) system than the Regal lathes.

I'm guessing your 3220 has a handwheel on the headstock that rotates a drum inside the headstock cover,which lists various cutting speeds (SFM) depending upon the RPM and workpiece diameter?

Lots of relays and mechanical stuff under the headstock cover, as I recall.

I wish I could be of more assistance!

Mike

The LeBlond 3220 has a completely different servo shift (read complex!) system than the Regal lathes.

I'm guessing your 3220 has a handwheel on the headstock that rotates a drum inside the headstock cover,which lists various cutting speeds (SFM) depending upon the RPM and workpiece diameter?

Lots of relays and mechanical stuff under the headstock cover, as I recall.

I wish I could be of more assistance!

Mike

Thats the one. Handwheel with a drum selector and a nightmare "under the hood". Seems like it's a hydraulic problem. I noticed the shift cylinders move slow and jerky. There is just sooo many hydraulic components I dont't know where to start. Not sure what supposed to have oil flowing out of it and what is not. I'm going to put a flow meter on the pump this week to see if I maxed out it's displacement as it is and OEM part. Might tell me something.

Any suggestions on who to speak with at Leblond?

This thread predates my issues with the servo shift, but now that I have been through the servo shift deal I have some ideas for him to check!

I love mine, still banging away to tighten up the machine. Mine is pretty hammered, it came out of Huck Fasteners factory. I wish I could have got a few more items with it. steady, follow, chuck backers, drive plate type items.

Back