What's new
What's new

Lodge & Shipley AVS 2013

rpseguin

Stainless
So I bought a Buck AdjustTru 6 jaw chuck with reversible top jaws and a Newall DRO, but they’re attached to a fantastic lathe, so I’m getting that too! :-)

I had been looking for a good quality USA made lathe and figured why not just call Monarch Lathes and see what they had, and they had an AVS 2013.

3803922689e1e7aa6b1be782cdb7c32e.jpg

492aa06fc12c895edb38841d495fc0e5.jpg

985aa9c1fed6e0915d662255f48e964d.jpg

So I bought a Buck AdjustTru 6 jaw chuck with reversible top jaws and a Newall DRO, but they’re attached to a fantastic lathe, so I’m getting that too! :-)

I had been looking for a good quality USA made lathe and figured why not just call Monarch Lathes and see what they had, and they had an AVS 2013.

3803922689e1e7aa6b1be782cdb7c32e.jpg

492aa06fc12c895edb38841d495fc0e5.jpg

985aa9c1fed6e0915d662255f48e964d.jpg

Somebody has to say it:

"Lucky sod!" And it even cost you less than my smaller HBX-360-BC!

Rumour has it they have quit making these, so good to grab the good ones whilst you still can do!

:D

Somebody has to say it:

"Lucky sod!" And it even cost you less than my smaller HBX-360-BC!

Rumour has it they have quit making these, so good to grab the good ones whilst you still can do!

Thanks!
I’m pretty sure that’s a reliable rumor!

Harry told me this lathe is in good shape. Initially he told me that the spindle drive might have problems, but later told me it might work fine.

You should document your HBX-360 in a thread!

Lodge & Shipley AVS 2013

Congratulations! Looks like a super machine. What did it come with? I'm sure there is more to the story.

Thanks!

The lathe was built circa 1982
20” swing x 54” between centers

Comes with:
3 geared ranges, infinite variable speed stock, 25-2000 RPM D1-6 spindle
Newall DRO
Hardened, replaceable ways
Buck AdjustTru 6 jaw chuck with reversible top jaws
4 jaw chuck
Taper attachment
Micrometer stop
English and metric threading

I’m going to be hunting for:
3 jaw D1-6 chuck
Faceplates
Steadyrest
Follower rest

Lodge & Shipley AVS 2013

I’ve bought and received the manuals for the lathe.
Anyone have older vintage manuals for the AVS 2013?

The quality of the manuals are good, but I prefer the look and finish of the older manuals with the high quality photos:

From the AVS 2013 manual for my 1982 machine:
f9e585a36e8a2b4f1ebf59bc126aea08.jpg

5b0cb21113f0030cb812ba97ec632352.jpg

From my 1960s AVS 1408 manual:
4ee3b44b42e46e9058d22dd23cbb87b0.jpg

8aea32e3bd6de0411e77374dc0eb3133.jpg

The controls shown in my manuals differ a little from the actual controls on the lathe, but I’m sure it’ll be straightforward to figure it out

Thanks!
I’m pretty sure that’s a reliable rumor!

Harry told me this lathe is in good shape. Initially he told me that the spindle drive might have problems, but later told me it might work fine.

You should document your HBX-360 in a thread!

There is a dormant one where I started to do. The quartet mill and one of the two 10EE as well. But some already-fragile and insanely jealous sad sacks went over the edge bat-shag-nuts!

I have BEEN on national TV. Once was once too much.

:(

So I'm keeping it ALL off the PM radar ... as a humanitarian gesture!

:)

Your manual is probably the best you are going to get for that lathe.

Coming from Monarch, I'd be afraid to ask what you paid for it. Regardless, that's a very nice find. If the drive ever goes out, replace it all with a AC motor and VFD IMO.

We had one at a company I used to work at. I want to say it was 2516 or something like that with a 7" spindle hole. After they moved it from Dallas/Ft Worth to Houston, they never got it to run. So it was removed. Later found it at their R & D facility under power. No telling how much it cost to get it back to running. Hopefully that one is equipped with a full SCR drive, not like the older ones they made.

Your manual is probably the best you are going to get for that lathe.

Yeah, I figured that was probably the case.
It’ll be fine, but if anyone comes by an older version of the manuals… I’ll be happy to get one!

Coming from Monarch, I'd be afraid to ask what you paid for it. Regardless, that's a very nice find. If the drive ever goes out, replace it all with a AC motor and VFD IMO.

We had one at a company I used to work at. I want to say it was 2516 or something like that with a 7" spindle hole. After they moved it from Dallas/Ft Worth to Houston, they never got it to run. So it was removed. Later found it at their R & D facility under power. No telling how much it cost to get it back to running. Hopefully that one is equipped with a full SCR drive, not like the older ones they made.

Whoa!!
7” bore!! Nice!
What year was that?
I will post some pics and details when I get the lathe!

If the drive ever goes out, replace it all with a AC motor and VFD
Why TF would one waste the time and money to source and mount a new - 50% higher nameplated - 'Coz that is what you would need - wimp-ass AC motor when a new DC Drive is cheaper, easier, and BETTER?

??

I swear.. some of y'all would say:

"If your pickup blows a plug, your gas water-heater quits, you get a batch of bad clams at the food court, your toilet gets clogged up, or your WIFE fails to please you..

"....just replace it with a VFD!"

Oh. And "Wear a mask, even if vaccinated?"

World could be a saner place if only we could still be allowed more than just the ONE wrong answer?

NB: It has a non-OEM 3-Phase-only DC Drive ..from some prior re-furb work.

Not a BAD one.. just done to a tight budget for the era, so not as good as it COULD be.

A stout enough RPC .. or a 30 HP Phase-Perfect if not powerco 3-Phase.. should run it as-had .... if nothing on-PCB is borked.

A modern DC Drive can do a skosh better-yet if power rations are meagre.

Thermite, you have no clue..... Try sourcing a DC motor and drive package in the 10-15 HP range. Especially one that allows you to keep base HP at 50% of full RPM. They are hard to find in the larger HP's. I have several fractional HP DC motors I use in my shop, mainly for feed motors and to power my 9" SBL.

EDIT; You may be able to find refurbished DC motors and controllers. But to buy new a SCR drive I don't know of anyone anymore that is building them. Reliance is out of the picture. Sabina Electric, if still in business may build you one. GE, which used to be used on the L & S AVS lathe at one time, I doubt they make them anymore. The last one I had built was 40 years ago, 150 HP that powered a old school rolling mill motor.

Oilfield used to use DC traction motors from railroad locomotives. Still a few out there, slowly being phased out. They now use refurbished and new AC traction motors on most of the drilling rigs out there.

Thermite, you have no clue..... Try sourcing a DC motor and drive package in the 10-15 HP range.

LOL! Tempting, Been looking at 7.5 HP RPM III's for re-motoring an AC machine or two. But so far, 5 HP - or even less - (3 HP for the 10EE's..) is all I have needed "in THIS role".

Continuous mining machines were a tad larger.

So "catch up in the back!", then. There is no shortage.

Though nobody can require that you leave a 40 year outdated time-warp for the present day, can they?

But It looks kinda odd .. to criticize those who HAVE tried to keep up with the present-day when you have not!

You shudda googled what your hermit-kingdom thinks "does not exist .."

To wit:

"Reliance" hasn't "given up". They are owned by ABB, operated under Baldor-Reliance:

DC Drives - Baldor.com

A different component of ABB makes the larger DC Drives from 12 HP (and under, if you chose to use them that way..) to twenty four THOUSAND HP.. So every size in between fractional and massive HP is COVERED with current products:

DC drives | ABB

I like "other" DC drives, but for motors? My favourites are their "RPM III" series:

RPM III Motors - Baldor.com

"GE" branding was coming out of factories in CHINA, last time I looked. But they, too, offer lamination-frame "Rectified Power" optimized DC motors.

There are plenty of others to make up a 20 billion bucks a year market..

Other DC Drives makers, too:

Control-Techniques has been sold and traded MANY times. They still do what they have always done. Make good DC drives.

DC Drives | Industrial DC Drives | Control Techniques

Parker makes DC drives, fractional HP to multiple thousands of HP:

https://ph.parker.com/us/en/dc-drives

Eurotherm has a new line:

ER-PL/ER-PLX | Eurotherm by Schneider Electric

"You doubt"? No fear. I believe you.

"Meanwhile...'

The global DC drives market size was USD 4.34 billion in 2018 and is projected to reach USD 6.71 billion by 2026, exhibiting a CAGR of 5.7% during the forecast period...."

"Read More at:- https://www.fortunebusinessinsights.com/industry-reports"

End of the day, "the REAL world" is paying for those 5 billion dollars worth of DC Drives.

And the DC DRIVES ...are the least part of the cost. World pays a LOT more for the DC motors.. 20 Billion-plus:

https://www.grandviewresearch.com/industry-analysis/electric-dc-motor-market

The HARD part.. is that folks cannot as easily afford the GOOD DC motors as the cheap AC ones.

Now.. if you happen to ALREADY HAVE a decent Dee Cee motor.... one that "came with" a Grand-Old machine-tool, and was even DESIGNED IN, tested, tuned, and even proven in USE? . IN that very machine-tool?

They are treasures. Why break what wasn't broken?

I did say the DC Drive was the CHEAP part?

Run what you got!

That was what you got it FOR!

I didn’t want the L&S AVS 2013 to be lonely on the ride out to California, so I’m having Monarch send a pal along: a 1956 Monarch 10EE

2ef52452ca54b09828bf515691cd16a7.jpg

The price the trucking companies are giving Monarch/me for trucking the 2 lathes (L&S AVS 2013, Monarch 10EE) out from Sidney, Ohio to Napa, California is $4600-$5400
That’s a lot, but doesn’t seem too far out of the ballpark.
I know that Monarch has lots of experience and know what they’re doing and it will be expertly handled.

The lathes are supposed to arrive sometime next week.
I’m looking to borrow or buy machinery skates (“rough/crack terrain” roller type) and lifting slings for the lathe arrival next week.
Also open to forklift rental suggestions.
I’ve reserved a 15000 pound forklift ($670/day including delivery), but if there’s any less expensive options.

I’ve been working on my levitation and teleportation skills, but I have my doubts…

I’m planning on slinging the lathes to get them unloaded from the truck, but trying to figure out what length slings I should get.
I’m thinking 4” wide slings, 10 foot or 12 foot for the bar in the spindle and maybe an 8 foot for slinging the bed.

Here’s the page from the manual showing the slings:
53886b3a940ef673bf75f679b7510c27.jpg

The price the trucking companies are giving Monarch/me for trucking the 2 lathes (L&S AVS 2013, Monarch 10EE) out from Sidney, Ohio to Napa, California is $4600-$5400
That’s a lot, but doesn’t seem too far out of the ballpark.
I know that Monarch has lots of experience and know what they’re doing and it will be expertly handled.

The lathes are supposed to arrive sometime next week.
I’m looking to borrow or buy machinery skates (“rough/crack terrain” roller type) and lifting slings for the lathe arrival next week.
Also open to forklift rental suggestions.
I’ve reserved a 15000 pound forklift ($670/day including delivery), but if there’s any less expensive options.

I’ve been working on my levitation and teleportation skills, but I have my doubts…

I can't get them to you.. but own over a dozen skates, US made & Chinese.

For this rig, imperfect surface, I recommend the Northern Tool 4400 lbs dual urethane roller models:

They have latching links so can be made into a "carpet" both side-by-side and end-to-end. A "magic carpet" gets me over grubby asphalt softened in the summer heat.

But skates ... NEED to be secured TO a load! Gravity is reliable. Dead-flat surfaces NOT! And OUT one goes, soo n it is unloaded even a skosh!

Soooo BETTER YET... an expert hand on a good forklift!

My WEEKLY cost is about what you pay for one day, though.

WITH a FL of sufficient "authority".. I lay down a wooden railroad line from the destination out past the the low-overhead shop roll-up. Block it level to the outdoors on grillage.

Place the machine-tool, just outside the door, where the FL mast clears.

Use chain and pusher timber to slide the load over the wooden plates.

NO rollers for that part at all. Greased galvanized sheet-steel if need be.

A pair of toe-jacks then allow me to remove the wood.

NO "rollers". They are a suicide-kit when working alone.

Sliding a load that way works a treat. Just go slowly and check, often.

And you can stop for a piss at any time.

Take a break when on rollers? Gotta be kiddin'!

Skates, one can at least "scotch". Rollers are harder..

.. trying to figure out what length slings I should get.

The 10EE is easy with a sling, first web closest to the spindle, 100% INSIDE the ways and zero impinging on controls leadscrew, surfacing drive shaft. H-F's 6,000 lb or better.

Don't use a H-F sling TWICE, though.

The Large & Shapely I'd do with chain, padded.

But I stash it by the "tub", and have boxes of hardware for each size.

3 skates on the 10ee if possible, a fourth will just roll away on uneven surface, which could have bad results. and I'd yank the end covers off before lifting or moving it around.

The big lathe will be a more interesting move. I'd have to see it, the terrain, distance to move it etc.

3 skates on the 10ee if possible, a fourth will just roll away on uneven surface, which could have bad results. and I'd yank the end covers off before lifting or moving it around.

The big lathe will be a more interesting move. I'd have to see it, the terrain, distance to move it etc.

There are only three holes to affix the skates to the 10EE anyway. 5/8". nominal, per cores in the casting.

I opened mine up to straight 3/4" for the bolts for the skates.

One hole interfered at the motor mounting plate. It was moved a skosh.

Back