What's new
What's new

Logan turret lathe model 2535-2-v tool holder questions

20151019_213549.jpg

Hi I just joined,have been reading the info on this site for years. Work as a conventional machinist in a job shop setting and have also spent time on all sorts of CNC lathes and mills. Have a home shop with mill, logan 850 lathe, Victor power hacksaw, drill presses, ect. Just picked up a really nice Logan 12 turret lathe but am not sure how the alco turret tool holders work. If anyone could explain how to setup these types of tool holders I'd appreciate it. Thanks a bunch20151019_213729.jpg

Thanks for the info. I have looked at block dies, the only issue I see is that they are square rather than rectangular like the holder is. Also I can only find block dies 2x2 or bigger squares.
There are 4 tool holders like I showed above and two other styles. One is for a plug to set work length I believe and the other takes drilled slugs for different size drills or round tools I believe. But the ones I pictured above still have me scratching my head. They have round reliefs on each at its smallest ID flats then it opens to a larger a posing rectangular opening. 3 don't take lock rings just the threaded nose. I also have 2 others that I'm not sure of. I will post pictures of them as well. Here is a picture of the logan turret lathe.

Attachments

• 20151016_060442.jpg
    20151016_060442.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 1,878
I found out that these are all adjustable drill holders but ever one is missing the jaws that close as you tighten the nut. They are adjustable and each jaw set can hold a range of sizes. The one die holder is a acorn die holder which I guess wouldn't be great for my application as it is not releasing. If you Google Alco drill holder or something similar you will see a picture of the jaws I'm missing. If any has any or any turret tooling to get rid of, that would work in my application let me know. It has 1 inch bores but I could make sleeves for smaller shanks or turn down larger shank tooling. Let me know. Thanks

I know I’m digging up a really old thread here but I picked up a very similar Logan turret lathe at an auction. I am trying to figure out the tool holder all I have is a set of double t nut slots on the lathe. I have never seen a lathe without a compound cross slide that the tool holder mounts on. Looks like you have some kind of spacer with a tool holder mounted on top of it? How tall is that spacer? Is it just a loose spacer with a long bolt going down into a single t-nut? Or maybe the spacer is slotted into the t-nut slot?

The original logan tool holders for that style of lathe were single tool holders one went on each side of the spindle.If you go to the antique macinery section and look up a thread titled "help with a turret lathe " go to page 23 post 456 and you will see a picture of the type of tool holder your lathe came with for the cross slide . I can tell you this as I own the same lathe as yours.Bill

" go to page 23 post 456 and you will see a picture of the type of tool holder your lathe came with for the cross slide . I can tell you this as I own the same lathe as yours.Bill

Wow that took some digging thanks. The good news is it actually came with one of those holders only I didn’t realize this was original Logan I thought it was something someone made up to hold one specific tool for some job. What I don’t have is that lower spacer piece that appears to be in docs tool holder with the small knurled wheel. Does this somehow work to adjust tool height? My holder just has the large space, for a standard lathe tool I’d have to put some kind of block under it at the right thickness to get the tool height set?

The lower "spacer" is a pair of wedges with teeth so they can be adjusted for height like step blocks . You can down load a catalog and operators manual at vintagemachinery.org or purchase from Logan as they are still supported at loganact.com . Bill

Back