What's new
What's new

Looking for a Gorton Mastermil ( a.k.a. Mastermill ) 1-22 Riser Block, or work-around

soundresearch

Plastic
Looking for a Gorton 1-22 Mastermil Riser Block. Circa - 1975 Gorton Mastermil brochure shows 6" to be a P/N 1228-1 "Raising Block", and 3" to be a P/N 1539-1 "Raising Block" (as if that's relevant). These are an interesting design - a rectangular cast iron block (about 8.5" wide x 22.25" long x 3" or 6" high) that goes between the ram and turret, instead of a circular riser that goes between the turret and base (like on a Bridgeport). I'd take either size for my machine, but would prefer the 6". I know these are pretty hard to find, so if anyone has any ideas for a work-around, I'd appreciate your recommendations. Thanks, Sound Research

Yeah, that's a problem, not enough real estate under the quill? A friend of mine had a chunk of steel cutout from a 6" plate to match the top of the column on his I-22, and had it Blanchard ground, worked out great for him. Had to do some other relatively minor stuff and get some longer bolts, but it made the machine much more usable. Didn't even have to retram the head with the new block?

Back