What's new
What's new

Looking for K&T 2HL low lead info.

Hobby Shop

Stainless
Hi guys.
I'm looking for any and all info I can get for a K&T 2HL Low Lead. I have one in transit (thanks Don) but its missing all the gears and auxiliary shaft. I plan on making the spur gears and work my way up to the worms and wheels after that. If it's beyond my pay grade to get them perfect, I'll job them out.

For your time, I'd be happy to send a gift card of your choice or some $$ for some accurate measurements of all the gears. I "might" have a line on a couple worm gears but without knowing the exact sizes, I could be throwing away a lot of money.
ramsay1 confirmed (thank you) that one gear was the wrong size. I just don't know about the others. Does anyone know where to get (6) spline shafting in 4' lengths?
Andy

This is what you are shooting for...In almost 20 years of being on Ebay and searching I have seen this ONE time and it cost me 800 bucks several years ago....A crate arrived with a low lead box, all the gears, an auxiliary shaft, a set of coolant nozzles, hoses, and clamps.. An extra arm brace all for a 2hl horizontal universal...The only thing missing was the trip shaft for very long leads which I made but have never as of yet used....Ramsay 1:)gear set.jpg

This is what you are shooting for...In almost 20 years of being on Ebay and searching I have seen this ONE time and it cost me 800 bucks several years ago....A crate arrived with a low lead box, all the gears, an auxiliary shaft, a set of coolant nozzles, hoses, and clamps.. An extra arm brace all for a 2hl horizontal universal...The only thing missing was the trip shaft for very long leads which I made but have never as of yet used....Ramsay 1:)View attachment 182273

Now your just being mean!:D Lol
Yep, Those are the sizes I'm after.

Thanks for the help John.
This is what I know so far. In the 1H-2HL replacement parts manual it says all the change gears are 11DP. To my surprise, this LL unit came with 3 change gears and a reverse gear, they're all 10DP.
In the 2H parts replacement manual it says the change gears are 10DP. I'm going with 10dp because everything seems to be original and reverse gear looks like it's never been off.

I do not know the tooth count of the aux. shaft gear. BUT I do have a 27T reverse gear that marries with it. The centers are fixed so I'm sure between the center to center distance and the 27T gear, only one gear will fit, right?

Is CRS good for the aux. shaft and change gears or do you think it should be something tougher? I lightly hit the gears with a file and they're not hard.

Andy

Reverse gear? The forward and reverse are built into the low lead attachment..Aux shaft is not hard as there is no really big load on that shaft.. CRS should be fine for that and the change gears.. Worms are steel and wormwheels are bronze though..I have attached drawings from an early K&T Restricted manual probably after ww2... It appears that the aux driven gear is 10p likely 14.5 pressure angle with 25 teeth if I am reading the drawing correctly..From that you may determine the tooth count and size of the driver if you have the center distance of the shafts.. Ramsay 1:)IMG_0001.jpgIMG_0002.jpg

Reverse gear? The forward and reverse are built into the low lead attachment..Aux shaft is not hard as there is no really big load on that shaft.. CRS should be fine for that and the change gears.. Worms are steel and wormwheels are bronze though..I have attached drawings from an early K&T Restricted manual probably after ww2... It appears that the aux driven gear is 10p likely 14.5 pressure angle with 25 teeth if I am reading the drawing correctly..From that you may determine the tooth count and size of the driver if you have the center distance of the shafts.. Ramsay 1:)View attachment 182303View attachment 182304

I also have a LL attachment Serial # 8-2798 listed in the Lot Number Publication as a 2H LL Attachment (U-2877) made September 1947. I am also looking for the worm & worm wheel sets for my machine. However mine did have a worm wheel but not the worm in the unit when I purchased my 2H machine.

I have attached a photo of this worm wheel sitting beside what I believe is a worm & worm wheel pair for a larger K&T LL attachment.

IMG_0501.jpg

My 2H machine uses 1" OD 6T splines and 10P spur gears throughout, while the larger 8P spur gears in the larger worm gear set uses 1 1/4" OD 6T splines.

How many different size LL units did Kearney & Trecker produce ? Are you looking for something different again from either of these 2 sizes ?

What measurements would help ?

Bob

IMG_0500.jpg

They must have produced ll boxes and gears peculiar to size of machine...Usually there are three worm gear sets to cover all of the leads listed in their book...I have one for my 2hl which uses 11 dp spur gears.. Mine works well for producing helical gears.. I just cut a drive gear for a swivel head vertical head on the machine.. Ramsay 1:)

Reverse gear? The forward and reverse are built into the low lead attachment..Aux shaft is not hard as there is no really big load on that shaft.. CRS should be fine for that and the change gears.. Worms are steel and wormwheels are bronze though..I have attached drawings from an early K&T Restricted manual probably after ww2... It appears that the aux driven gear is 10p likely 14.5 pressure angle with 25 teeth if I am reading the drawing correctly..From that you may determine the tooth count and size of the driver if you have the center distance of the shafts.. Ramsay 1:)View attachment 182303View attachment 182304

Thanks Ramsay.
The reverse gear runs with the aux. shaft. I read in the manual the 2hl takes 11DP but for some reason, this box has 10dp gears in it. Is it going to make a difference if they're not 11DP?
I'll get all the center to center #'s for the worms but this is what I have so far. I'm trying to decide if I want to hob the gears of cut them on the mill.

36T---3.798"
27T---2.901"
23T---2.496"
21T---2.297"

Each of the worm/wheel holes are 4".
Andy

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 146
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 157
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 106
2h takes 10dp gears for change wheels... 10dp gears driven by the aux shaft as well...You should be able to cut the spurs in your mill if you have a dividing head, foot stock, arbor,arbor support, and the proper cutters for each size gear... Ramsay 1:)

I also have a LL attachment Serial # 8-2798 listed in the Lot Number Publication as a 2H LL Attachment (U-2877) made September 1947. I am also looking for the worm & worm wheel sets for my machine. However mine did have a worm wheel but not the worm in the unit when I purchased my 2H machine.

I have attached a photo of this worm wheel sitting beside what I believe is a worm & worm wheel pair for a larger K&T LL attachment.

View attachment 182338

My 2H machine uses 1" OD 6T splines and 10P spur gears throughout, while the larger 8P spur gears in the larger worm gear set uses 1 1/4" OD 6T splines.

How many different size LL units did Kearney & Trecker produce ? Are you looking for something different again from either of these 2 sizes ?

What measurements would help ?

Bob

View attachment 182339

Hi Bob.
I appreciate you offering to measure your gears. I thought I was in business yesterday. I took the LL for a ride and tried installing some gears, they were all to big. The worm wheels have to be under 4"s to fit in this box.
I believe they made 3 different boxes.
1H-2HL, 2H and everything else from a 2CH and up took the 5814. I'm pretty sure the worm gears from the 5814 and the 2H are the same. There's not much info out there on the older LL boxes. I sent you an email about that astronomical wheel.

Andy

2h takes 10dp gears for change wheels... 10dp gears driven by the aux shaft as well...You should be able to cut the spurs in your mill if you have a dividing head, foot stock, arbor,arbor support, and the proper cutters for each size gear... Ramsay 1:)

Exactly, that's where some of my confusion is coming from. This is definitely a 2HL box but there's (4) 10dp gears in it. Are you positive the change gears are 11DP in your 2HL box?

Is there any extra worm & worm-wheels for the 2 HL LL box around (reading above)? I have the 8-24 set & the change gears, would also like the find the aux. drive shaft - if I can't find I'll need to make one - project coming up & need it~
Rod

Is there any extra worm & worm-wheels for the 2 HL LL box around (reading above)? I have the 8-24 set & the change gears, would also like the find the aux. drive shaft - if I can't find I'll need to make one - project coming up & need it~
Rod

I’ve had a lot of 2H and large LL sets but I haven’t seen ANY 11p change gears and worms/wheels for the
1-2HL/2CHL low lead.

Consider yourself lucky with the 1:3 worm/wheel. That’s the most difficult set to make. It’s hard to believe that much time has passed but I’m still on this little project. I’ve been so busy I haven’t had the time for anything. I made the 1:96 worm & hob, made the 11p change gear blanks and started the 1:24 worm/wheel & hob. A 2H aux. shaft will fit the 2HL. If needed, you can still use the LL without the aux. shaft but you will not have power feed.

I’ve had a lot of 2H and large LL sets but I haven’t seen ANY 11p change gears and worms/wheels for the
1-2HL/2CHL low lead.

Consider yourself lucky with the 1:3 worm/wheel. That’s the most difficult set to make. It’s hard to believe that much time has passed but I’m still on this little project. I’ve been so busy I haven’t had the time for anything. I made the 1:96 worm & hob, made the 11p change gear blanks and started the 1:24 worm/wheel & hob. A 2H aux. shaft will fit the 2HL. If needed, you can still use the LL without the aux. shaft but you will not have power feed.

This is precisely why I paid 800 dollars for a 2hl low lead attachment on ebay some years back.. I didn't have the money so I used paypal credit and paid 100 dollars a month until I paid it off.. It came in a huge box with lots of extra goodies.. The only thing missing was the trip shaft although the bearings were included so I just made one..I have not yet used this trip shaft for any gear work ...Heck maybe I should remove it and put it on ebay for eight grand.. They are rare after all lol.. Ramsay 1:)

Back