What's new
What's new

Looking for kearney & trecker driver gear

B-HUD

Aluminum
I posted a question about this earlier but it seems to have been deleted.

I just purchased a K&T 3ch with 2 vertical heads one of them has a drive gear that works fine but the same gear will not work for the other head which is a universal head.

There is a fella here in Portland that has a couple of drive gears and I went through his pile and didn't find anything that worked.
after our searches we think that I'm after a 33 tooth gear just under 6" in diameter.

If anyone has anything like this I'd be happy to purchase it.

Thanks
B-HUD

I have the number 34 part what I'm looking for is the 39 part in that diagram I will have to post the serial number when I get to the shop tomorrow.
Off the top of my head all I know is the year it was made. 10 hp 3ch made in 1953

It has to have its mate, and until you find that, putting something else in there and turning it on is highly likely to ruin the good one you do have.

I can tell you what the head (or drive bracket) was made for, but there is no data that I know of that tells what P/N gear goes with what head. My drive gear has a part number on it plain as day. Its a 4 1/4" 32 tooth.

Ramsay1 (?) in Port Allen, LA has lot's more info than me, but nothing about P/Ns

As near as I know he has a K&T Yahoo group

At least one PM member has a thread about MAKING that gear.

I have a vertical head that looks like the parts in photo, I have and extra drive gear. If you PM, to remind me I will look when I get to the shop and see how it matches yours.
Tim

photo-16.jpgphoto-15.jpgimage-4.jpgHere are some pictures of what I was asking about.
The larger gear in the casting is just for reference its too big and goes with the other head.
I can't seem to find any serial number on the casting.

Thanks

thanks Bill
I looked everywhere for the S/N on the head even scratched off paint in hopes of finding it on all the flats on the head with no luck.

The plates on the gears make them somewhat of a pita to put in place when you mount the head but they are NOT on there to be a nuisance.. I have heard of some wanting to remove the plate on the drive gear to make things easier.. To do so is an open invitation to trouble on a drive bracket designed to use them. Ramsay 1 :)

photo-18.jpgphoto-17.jpgThanks for the info here are some pics of the heads that came with the machine
as I stated before I'm looking for a gear for the head mounted to the machine in the pic.

thanks
again

I called parts n parts yesterday helpful people but I have a feeling that if they do come up with one its going to be very expensive

Check the running gears that come in contact with the drive gear and turn a gear blank and have it made. The hardness should be close to the other gears. Usually its 42 - 43...

Last edited:
I've offered to make these in the past if someone has a sample to copy. I can do it using the center distance and the mating gear if no one has the drive gear.
Just saying.

Having bought helical gearing from Dan, I'd say get that info (center distance) and your driven from the assy and shoot it out there

I've offered to make these in the past if someone has a sample to copy. I can do it using the center distance and the mating gear if no one has the drive gear.
Just saying.

that would be great seems like they are harder to find then I thought
I'm still trying to figure out the proper about of teeth for the drive gear

would the center distance be measured from center of drive gear to bottom of gear tooth?

Adjustable Milling Head

Here is mine at work.. I got this one and as usual no drive gear.. I cut the drive gear with my 2hl universal with low lead attachment.. Someone on the forum had a gear and measured it.. Dimensions were right on..

Attachments

• angle milling 1.JPG
    angle milling 1.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 845

Back