UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Looking at a LeBlond 19x60 servo shift

All,

I have found what appears to be a good deal on a LeBlond 19x60. Not sure of itís age.

It seems a little loose, so would like to know if it will be reasonable to fix the backlash.

The feed along bed also is jumpy when traversing away from the chuck, and you can stop it by holding the handle. Towards the chuck it is fine.

Thoughts? Any insight will help me decide. Itís priced around $3k.

Thanks,

Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PilotMarky View Post
    All,

I have found what appears to be a good deal on a LeBlond 19x60. Not sure of itís age.

It seems a little loose, so would like to know if it will be reasonable to fix the backlash.

The feed along bed also is jumpy when traversing away from the chuck, and you can stop it by holding the handle. Towards the chuck it is fine.

Thoughts? Any insight will help me decide. Itís priced around $3k.

Thanks,

Mark
    Mark,

A good first step is to isolate the component causing the feed issue (I assume it's carriage feed not threading?). When you put drag on the handwheel to stop the carriage is the lead screw stopping also or just the carriage?

Walter

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

LeBlond has a safety clutch in the feed shaft, next to the gearbox.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you for the replies! I went ahead and bought the machine, it was a good deal. I have been going through it and cleaning it up. Figured out the feed, and it's much better now. I took the compound and cross slides apart, got all the gibs sorted. I'm looking forward to cutting some metal. Tool post arrived today, now I need to get the T nut machined to fit my compound. Yesterday I discovered a wobbly servo shift gear where the weld broke free on the gear shaft, so fixed that. Everything else seems great.

Once I have it properly leveled, I'll run some accuracy checks on it. At some point it'll need new gibs depending on accuracy demands. They're not cheap!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Anybody know if any LeBlond gibs are interchangable? There are a couple from a 24" Regal on eBay right now.