What's new
What's new

mills sitting in pile, going soon to foundry

DT38K

Aluminum
I am writing to let you guys know of some mills that could have parts pulled before going to the foundry to be melted.
These machines were in service in a shop in Illinois until about one month ago.
I will take some photos tomorrow with serial numbers and try to post them by Sunday.
The machines are a #2 cincinnati dial mill before the plastic style, 3 van norman's, 2 being 38's, (one is universal) and a bridgeport tracer.
I pulled the attachments from the cincinnati and van normans and they will be for sale soon.
There is little time, so stay tuned.
Randy 319-213-3229

Randy,

I would suggest that you grab all of the Van Norman hand wheels. They might work on other Van Norman machines as well.
Cal

OK, here we go.
The batteries were dead in my camera, I will be there again on Wednesday.
The first machine off the semi trailer was the bridgeport and it was not good, the picking eye on top did not do the job.
I'm not sure why the companies put them up there because it gives false hope that it can handle that much stress.
It pulled right out of the ram at about 10 feet up, down came the machine and the base split just below the upper pivot.
Frustrated, the owner, didn't give much love on unloading the others and the way they are stacked, I can't safely remove any parts except on the cincinnati at this time.
With a little sucking up, I might be able to get them located to ground level for teardown but space is limited.
I want to let everyone know what some of the machines are in this yard, (there are two others), in case I can work something out with this person and there are some others needing parts.
I only met this person about 3 weeks ago and I'm trying to build a trustworthy business relationship with him but I don't want to ruin it by being too aggressive.
Machinery list:
van norman, model 38, serial 38ME-4108-1055
van norman, model 38MA, serial 4455-768
van norman, model 38ME, serial 4459-1068 ( this one has a swivel table base)
Cincinnati #2, serial 4A2U1S-7
Shapemaster mill, model 138, serial 269
Kent Owen mill
K&T horizontal mill with double arms that are 5-3/4" in diameter
2, W&S 1A screw machines on their sides
Fuji, FLR universal mill
Milwaukee Model K mill
Atlantic jig bore
Here is a description of what I have so far:
From the cincinnati, I have the two arbor supports, front and rear, and the outer brace.
There was a vertical attachment but I couldn't find it at the yard.
From the van normans:
I have two sets of arbor supports, and one outer brace.
Dividing head, serial 26-3512 with tailstock, serial 26-3512 and 4 index plates.
Rotating head, serial 26-2032 with a collet nose for a 50v collet, this has a 6 spline female driven spindle, I did not see a shaft.
Head with a 5v collet serial 26-6115 and this has a 3 to one ratio with a female 50 taper that might mate direct.
At the auction, I bought a two axis vertical head attachment that is driven with a 50nmtb splined shaft but it is at my partners house.
I only have an instruction and parts list booklet for the 28 through 3re-10-34 so I don't have much to go with right now for interchange of parts on the van normans, or the attachments I have.
I have a manual for the cincinnati which is pretty good.
I'm willing to strip the machines completely if posssible,to get the parts that any from the group might need, but a prior commitment and price will have to be agreed upon first and in order as to the request for parts being made.
I will start a request list now and be back in a few days.
Randy 319-213-3229

Bridge port tracer ,was the control box still on the back of it> If so,I need the electric diagram and manual if it's the correct model.Tracer and manual controls with motors on x&y instead of cyl's.
Thanks jim

I'm interested in VN parts:
1) top and bottom vertical stop blocks (column left side)
2) as close to a full set of control levers as possible: front & rear, X, Y & Z axes, plus rapid traverse. Total of seven levers.
3) table longitudinal crank (right side, usually)
4) table longitudinal wheel (left side, usually), failing that, a graduated dial for the table long. feed.

I will have to go look at my notes to see what internal parts I could use... I've got two bent rear control shafts, but I'll have to check the parts book to see if model 38 parts will fit my model 28A.

Oh, and if you can get a photo of the two-axis head attachment, I would like to see that.

I am interested in:
Dividing head, serial 26-3512 with tailstock, serial 26-3512 and 4 index plates.
Rotating head, serial 26-2032 with a collet nose for a 50v collet
Milwaukee Model K mill
Thanks mike

Sorry for posting that I was interested in the dividing heads I read to the post fast and thought they were K&T heads. I am intested in the milwaukee k model that is in the post. Mike

Strip List for ANY Mill Being Scrapped

The following parts from ANY mill are always needed by someone:

Arbor Supports and overarms, if easily removeable. (They get lost over the years!)
Vises
Dividing Heads and change gears used for helical milling.
Handwheels
Cranks
Arbors
Collets

Any mill ever going to scrap should have the preceding stripped off, as in most instances they will sell on eBay for more than scrap value.

It was a close call with the junkyard dog

Hi Everyone
Last Wednesday we made the drive to meet our contact as planned, and he was sick in bed.
We were met by one of the brothers (junkyard dog) and it was not pleasant, but we kept our cool with our hands by our sides.
I thought it was over before we really even got in gear, these two are not friendly at all and don't want us there, (but that's just too bad)..
They had blocked my calls and didn't mention the altercation either, so that is why I haven't been back for an update.
I got through yesterday and spoke with my contact and we are planning on Saturday, bright and early so we can get in 10 - 12 hours of work and search.
I will have a fresh battery and will get some photos and get caught up on the parts requests and start a log sheet.
I have pictures of the attachments on my computer but couldn't get them loaded to send through photo bucket tonight.
We also discussed about a staging area to move some of the machines to, by parts request.
I also have about 8 ton of tooling to go through, just had started on the first tub, so patience is a must because there is only two of us and a lot to cover.
Thanks for the reply's
Randy

Here are some pictures of the attachments that were sitting on the mill tables, I also have the side mount arbor supports.
One set has no side tail in the casting, one set has a side tail threaded, and one has the tail with no threads.
Attachment, 2 axis, with hand feed dial and splined drive shaft:
DSC04017.jpg

Head attachment, one axis, collet nut,splined bore, looking for drive shaft/vn:
DSC04005.jpg

Front arm support/ vn:
DSC04019.jpg

Attachment with 3:1 speed increase, direct to 50 nmtb main spindle/vn:
DSC04003.jpg

Direct drive shaft / dividing head to table gearbox, and tailstock missing lower plate?/vn:
The center height of head and tail do not match.
DSC04002.jpg

DSC04001.jpg

DSC04008.jpg

Cincinnati #2 center arbor support, front arbor support, and one piece front support:
Has anyone seen a one piece front support with two slots matching two bolts onfront arbor support?
DSC04000.jpg

DSC03998.jpg

DSC04009.jpg

Do you guys think it might be better to shoot some video of the machines and post it on you tube?

Back