What's new
What's new

Milwaukee milling machine №4 in Russia

drago-dgo

Plastic
Hello!
I apologize in advance for the automatic translation, I can not adequately write in English.
machine of 1938 of release
Bought a machine for $ 4500

Now we disassemble and repair.
I was surprised that in one of the shafts of the gearbox there is M12 thread, not 1/2.

I looked through all the files on VintageMachinery.org | Welcome similar to this machine, but never found a scheme for it.
The node for selecting the feed amount and on the bed these 2 shafts differ, which I do not know how to remove.

Please tell me how to remove them!
And where else to see the scheme for this machine.

Serial-3-2378

I would be extremely grateful for the help!
IMG_1622.jpg
IMG_1624.jpg
IMG_1602.jpg
IMG_1623.jpg
IMG_1621.jpg

Good luck on a "scheme" or how its built. You have the early 27 speed K - only these have the two rods hanging down as in your photos - centered on the face of the column. All gone by 1940 and replaced by the 24 speed K - which has no rods hanging down as in your photo, and has an entirely different "sponson" knee.

As to what they DO - I would guess they are feed and rapid for the knee - and in other K&T mills these are driven from the pulley bracket on the right side of the machine. ON EDIT - add thumbnail of 2CH (a later K&T) of how the two rods/shafts were driven from pulley bracket assembly. These were visible when you opened the right side door.

Yours is from lot of ten 4K completed September 1938

4K Operation Manual if needed - note about PDF page 30 it plainly states it is for serial 2595 (August 1939) and above horizontals

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2098/15190.pdf

Attachments

• Page 14.jpg
    Page 14.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
Congratulations, Drago!

Drago-

Congratulations on finding a wonderful machine!

We all wish this machine could tell it's story, from when it was built, up until now. Perhaps someone on the forum has records that could explain it's life.

I have your machine's smaller (Cinci #2 and bigger cousin (Cinci #5), but mine have ordinary tables... yours has a rotary table that looks very, very strong. Whoever placed the order for your machine, knew exactly what they needed.

I do NOT know how those shafts come out... but I'm certain that someone here does!

I'd lie the machine over on it's side onto some timbers. See if you can access the shafts from underneath. What a man put there a man can remove, they weren't grown from a seed.

That's a tribute to the machine builders. 80 years old and still going strong.

Regards Tyrone.

I hope you paid rubles not dollars for it.
I think someone forced the M12 bolt into the 1/2"-13 hole, they are very close.
Sorry about not checking the exchange rate before making my earlier post, end of day/tired. $4500 is 300,000 rubles at 66.7 exchange rate. If it was rubles-dollars it would have been about $67.
Machines that old that need repair usually sell for close to scrap value here and I was mistakenly thinking that might apply to this machine as well.

That being said I think machine has a lot of potential and when fixed will be a great addition to your shop, Especially with the rotary table.:cheers:
Most of my equipment is this vintage.

I'd lie the machine over on it's side onto some timbers. See if you can access the shafts from underneath. What a man put there a man can remove, they weren't grown from a seed.

That's a tribute to the machine builders. 80 years old and still going strong.

Regards Tyrone.

We usually think that what the other person has gathered is possible to disassemble.

The column and gearbox are already completely disassembled.

He has the biggest gears that are in my machines!

And the worm pair on the spindle will impress

Thumbnail is the 24 speed 4K with the later knee

Screen shot from manual linked above

Attachments

• KT 4 1940.jpg
    KT 4 1940.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 164
Work is moving!
Column completely dismantled. Bearings in good condition, otherwise the replacement would be a big headache.
I was surprised at the quality of the fit of the shaft cover under the spindle. The dimensions of the gear and the worm pair are impressive!
The rotary element from the table is washed off and made a scraping for lubrication.

Thanks for the tips and files.

It surprises me when I watch channels like Abom79, Keith Rucker, Oxtoolco, that when repairing around is clean and tidy. I'll let it go, but for now if repair means there will be heaps of dirty rags, liters of dirty gasoline and heaps of garbage from the machine.

IMG_1632.jpg
IMG_1629.jpg
IMG_1631.jpg
IMG_1634.jpg
IMG_1633.jpg

It's alives!

For 4 months with breaks for work, we did it!
Part bearings replaced by a metric, replaced almost all the bushings slide.
Added to the lubrication systems of automotive filters.
Feed box because of the big backlash wasn't working correctly, so I put a separate motor and chain.funny shimmers oil in the window with a chain
IMG_1703.jpg
With frequency Converter to adjust the speed.
The bed has just been cleaned.
When checking dovetail guides are worn and flat to 0.05 mm .
Not yet made, because it came work for this machine.
Trying to disassemble the apron could not find a few screwdrivers so took off all the paint.
According to the old Russian tradition, it was painted in 20 layers on top of the plates.
Make an order and paint it in one color.
Made local light.
Mill became like a tripod from the "war of the worlds"
IMG_1702.jpg
Very much in work! Hard, powerful.
Make parts and paint it.

This is the second American milling machine. First Bridgeport SERIES 1

IMG_1701.jpg

IMG_1704.jpg
IMG_1708.jpg

it's ALIVE!

It's alives!
For 4 months with breaks for work, we did it!
Part bearings replaced by a metric, replaced almost all the bushings slide.
Added to the lubrication systems of automotive filters.
Feed box because of the big backlash wasn't working correctly, so I put a separate motor and chain.Funny shimmers oil in the window with a chain.
IMG_1703.jpg
With frequency Converter to adjust the speed.
The bed has just been cleaned.
When checking dovetail guides are worn and flat to 0.05 mm .
Not yet made, because it came work for this machine.
IMG_1700.jpg
Trying to disassemble the apron could not find a few screwdrivers so took off all the paint.
According to the old Russian tradition, it was painted in 20 layers on top of the plates.
Make an order and paint it in one color.
Made local light.
Mill became like a tripod from the "war of the worlds"
IMG_1702.jpg
Very much in work! Hard, powerful.
Make parts and paint it.
This is the second American milling machine. First Bridgeport SERIES 1
IMG_1710.jpg
IMG_1705.jpg

HEY! That machine is mine! My great grandfather F. Roosevelt sent that over to help your great grand-dad make guns to fight the Nazis!

But you can make better use of it than me......and the shipping might be expensive back home.

Is that rotating table standard on these models or was that a special order or mod?

Seems like I always see some new K&T feature I wasn't aware of (and want).

I don't know.
The machine is in that state, and came to Russia.
It's not in our factories did.
Model 38 year perhaps looms such were

Most likely for a year or two buy a used cnc mill , and then new.
Lots of work. And CNC lathe 80 years there, buy this year a new one.

I watch a lot of channels on youtube from America.
And I really like a large number of different useful things, different machines and devices.
In Russia, there are not many custome instrumental productions.
In the video I saw several types of 1-2-3 blocks, 20 types of vice and a bunch of funny tools. And we have 3 factories in the USSR that produced a vice of the same 4 types.
But on inventing something from nothing, we have no equal)))
I watch the channel Edge Precision, and then as a guy from St. Petersburg in the scrap metal I found a wire brush for angle grinders and repairs it))

Please keep posting.It is refreshing to hear how people in other countries cope/work with the every day problems they face trying to do their jobs.

Over here we have become spoiled because most things are so cheap and easy to come by.

You remind of a saying we had over the shop door"We have made so much with so little for so long, we have learned to make anything from nothing"

Шn the meantime, we are learning to make different tools.
The ability to buy the right tool is very good! And not to make it from scratch with experiments, a couple of days. We produce parts for customers, that is not a home workshop and not a hobby. Sometimes it is interesting and experience useful, but a lot of time is spent.
For example, doing laps from the hole activity. Based on MT4. It would be easier to buy )

Milwaukee milling h 2 number machine ,bed movement front and back direction stucked ,we are unable to remove the gib(taper blade).it is very hardly jammed. how to remove gibs ,

Back