What's new
What's new

1940's cincinnati 24" shaper lube question

gmark1

Plastic
I recently dug an old shaper that dad brought home 30 years ago, and dumped in the back of the barn and forgot about. So the other day, went to take a look at it, low and behold, its a cinci 24" standard, with universal table, and auto downfeed. Feeling like I won the lottery. Anyway, this thing must have sat outside before we got it as the resevoir in the base was bone dry with nothing but rust in it. The gearcase looked like new oil in the sight glass. Filled the base up, got her running, oil was pumping into the tower. But after running awhile, I noticed the oil in the gearcase sight glass was milky and milky looking oil was coming into the oiler tower. Oil in reservoir still looks new. So I change gearcase oil, and cannot get it to pump oil to the towernow. What I cant figure out is how it was pumping milky oil to the tower, because there is a suction tube down to the base. I do feel a slight suction at the check valve. Check valve was cleaned, and new ball installed.

update: didnt realize there are 2 plunger pumps on the old ones. First one pumps from main resevoir to gearcase any time motor is running, and second one pumps to the tower when gearbox is turning. Had it in neutral originally and didnt realize gearbox shaft was spinning, making it pump to the tower with just motor running.

Last edited:
congrats on the shaper I run a 16" cincinnati fairly often, there are two sections to that base, one inside the door, one under that with access only from the outside cover on the control side of the base which probably needs a good cleaning and refilled with oil too. I installed a fine mesh screen over the "drain hole" from the upper base to the lower to prevent trash from accumulating in the lower section. there should be a manual available on vintagemachinery.org for your shaper and plenty of videos on youtube. Happy Shaping!

Back