What's new
What's new

Morris Mor-speed elevator nut assy.

shutinlead

Aluminum
Folks,
Helping out a friend... he has a Morris 11" column, 4' arm radial drill press that except for issues with the elevator nut is in fairly good shape. When using this machine everything worked fine going down but when motion direction was changed it jammed up. He fought the thing a little while, has taken it apart, bought what books he could find on it and is still fighting it. The books at best are very vague in this area. Serial number is 1281
He called me this weekend and I went over and looked at it, the safety nut appears to be the issue but with the parts scattered and not having enough time to sit and study the assembly I don't quite grasp the assembly concept of this. Has anyone here been into one of these that can shed some light? Looking at the parts, they appear to have matching numbers - (#50 on the two bronze nuts - safety and main) but there's a little suspicious appearances, especially in the safety nut, like maybe it's been modified - (chuck marks on the diameter) did they have a wreck and re-cut the keys on the safety nut so the timing is off? The safety nut is a press fit in the hub. Is this suppose to be a running loose fit? Any assistance would be much appreciated.
Greg

Back