What's new
What's new

Moving a Cincinnati Toolmaster 1D

rgsheehan

Plastic
Hmmm, now what?
Seriously new newbe here.
I really didn't think I would, but it looks like I might have won (remote online auction, based on pics only) an auction for a Cincinnati Toolmaster 1D? vertical mill. Now that I might really have to move it, it looks a lot bigger and heavier than it did before. Thinking about trying to do the BP type 'configuration' (knee down, flip head, strapped to h#$% and back).
Can anybody comment on whether that should work, and if so, is there oil in that head?
Can it be drained without it just spilling out when the head is flipped?
Any other gotchas to watch out for?
Is there an easier way to set it up to move?
Are riggers/movers the 'sensible' way to do this? ($$$$)

Does the addiction to these tools ever end?

Thanks in advance for any advice
R. G. Sheehan

Ok, I decided to go with a rigger. He seems to know what he is doing. Now I get to start learning about rotary phase converters.

<<Have a manual yet? Service/parts book? >>

No, not yet. At this point, I am trying to stay focused on getting it home.

<<they are top heavy so a rigger is a good idea. i moved mine with a pallet jack and a drop deck hydraulic trailer>>

I'll probably have to pull the head off, and maybe the ram, to get it around to the back of the house where the shop is. At least, there are no stairs involved.

If you're going to lift the assembled machine, straps (of the correct rating) under the ram on each side of the column, and lift from above.

Removing the head is not hard to do, and yes, I'd drain the oil before hand. One to prevent leaks, and two, changing the oil and doing a full lubrication service on the mill before using it is a good idea. When the head is separated from the ram, be sure to protect the two mating surfaces, as these are hand scraped.

The ram can be removed from the column easily enough, just be careful to remove the stops before trying to crank it off the end of the gear rack.

The manuals (operator's manual and maintenance/parts catalog) are readily available, and definitely recommended before you start disassembling the machine. The maintenance/parts catalog was updated through the years, so get the revision that corresponds to your machine's model and year of manufacture.

If you're going to lift the assembled machine, straps (of the correct rating) under the ram on each side of the column, and lift from above.

Removing the head is not hard to do, and yes, I'd drain the oil before hand. One to prevent leaks, and two, changing the oil and doing a full lubrication service on the mill before using it is a good idea. When the head is separated from the ram, be sure to protect the two mating surfaces, as these are hand scraped.

The ram can be removed from the column easily enough, just be careful to remove the stops before trying to crank it off the end of the gear rack.

The manuals (operator's manual and maintenance/parts catalog) are readily available, and definitely recommended before you start disassembling the machine. The maintenance/parts catalog was updated through the years, so get the revision that corresponds to your machine's model and year of manufacture.

Thanks for the advice.
I saw a video of a guy with a BP who built a fixture to mount on his table that had (I think) a 1" or so round bar that could be held in a collet mounted in the spindle. He then unbolted the head, and used the table to move the head out from and down from the ram that way. I was thinking of building something like that and maybe then bolting the head up to a stand so I could (using a hoist of some kind probably) set it down on the floor so I could work on it if need be?

Thanks for the advice.
I saw a video of a guy with a BP who built a fixture to mount on his table that had (I think) a 1" or so round bar that could be held in a collet mounted in the spindle. He then unbolted the head, and used the table to move the head out from and down from the ram that way. I was thinking of building something like that and maybe then bolting the head up to a stand so I could (using a hoist of some kind probably) set it down on the floor so I could work on it if need be?
That would work. I did something similar but less elaborate to remove the head on my 1-B Toolmaster. Since I then disassembled the head (everything except the spindle bearings), I reassembled it in place on the ram, and didn't have to wrestle with the complete heavy head assembly.

Thanks for the advice.
That would work. I did something similar but less elaborate to remove the head on my 1-B Toolmaster. Since I then disassembled the head (everything except the spindle bearings), I reassembled it in place on the ram, and didn't have to wrestle with the complete heavy head assembly.

So the move went okay. I was stressing as the wood deck trailer got pounded across some of Ohio and PA 'roads', but it held up. Kinda looks like an elephant in the garage, but I'm getting used to it. It already got some attention in the new neighborhood. Some guy was driving past, saw it, locked the binders, backed up, and he and my son had a little chat. Turns out he is a retired machinist who lives a few blocks away. Maybe I can get some pointers.
Thanks to everybody for all the good advice so far.
R. G. Sheehan

Back