What's new
What's new

My new Nebel lathe. Model LN, 18x60. (looking for any information/documentation)

Dope

Cast Iron
Hello!

Picked up this seemingly-rare lathe recently and I'm having trouble identifying it precisely. It is a Nebel lathe, model LN 18"x60" (72" bed). Seller thought it was a '54 but I don't think so. I've got a model LA (not LN) brochure from '54 from Vintage Machinery which doesn't even show this model but it appears very very similar. However, my lathe has a 3hp pre1952 NEMA motor instead of the 5/7.5hp motors mentioned in the brochure. It also has only 8 speeds instead of 12. Otherwise it seems to have the same specs and looks very similar so I'm assuming this must be a late 40s, early 50s model. Any guesses? If anyone has any information at all, I'd love to hear it.

Regardless, lathe seems to be in really great shape. No visible wear on any of the gears in the headstock. Leadscrew appears brand new. .020" backlash or less on all of the dials. Still has the scrapings on most of the bed ways. Tiny bit of wear right near the chuck, that seems like about it.

20201101_214514.jpg20201109_162755.jpg20201109_162829.jpg20201109_162856.jpg

If anyone has any information at all, I'd love to hear it.

Dope

Should have mentioned, the SN is 518386 if that's helpful in any way.

Dope

I have a catalog with a version of the Nebel LN illustrated and I will try to scan this sometime tomorrow.
I own a Rahn-Larmon lathe which was the predecessor of these Nebels.

1951 per serial book

Rahn Larmon predecessor

Who made stuff like so

View attachment 304485

Awesome, thank you! Seems like I was pretty accurate on my estimate.

I have a catalog with a version of the Nebel LN illustrated and I will try to scan this sometime tomorrow.
I own a Rahn-Larmon lathe which was the predecessor of these Nebels.

I'd be happy to venmo or paypal you money for your time for this. That would be cool to see.

Dope

Here are two catalog pages (I will try tonight to scan more details) for the Nebel LN, which was specified as a 16 or 18 inch Heavy Duty lathe:

Nebel LN.1.jpg

Nebel LN.2.jpg

I apologize for the upside down specification page, I cannot seem to get this turned around. This seems lame to me but is the best I can do now,)

No problem, easy to flip. Thank you so much! That is really cool.

Back