What's new
What's new

Cincinnati #4 Vertical Bogs Down on Heavy Cut

PWP

Hot Rolled
I have been asked to see why this machine is not working correctly. I do not have any manuals and do not know where to start. I would assume that there is a clutch that may need adjustment. I searched the threads and found very little information. I do see a little oil dripping in the sight glass but that's all I can report. Does someone have a manual for this machine. The model number is 4A4V1L-211

So you'll know, its a high speed dial type from 1942

I have been asked to see why this machine is not working correctly. I do not have any manuals and do not know where to start. I would assume that there is a clutch that may need adjustment. I searched the threads and found very little information. I do see a little oil dripping in the sight glass but that's all I can report. Does someone have a manual for this machine. The model number is 4A4V1L-211

Manual from 1938 may be of some help - only four years older

Clutch adjust Page 9, Oil Pressure Adjust Pg. 26 and 27

Cincinnati Milling Machine Co. - Publication Reprints - #1-4 Dial Type Milling Machines - Service and Parts Manual | VintageMachinery.org

This may be dumb or obvious, but is it wired correctly? Is the machine wired for 480v but has 240v supply?

How long have you had it and has it just started doing this?

Is the motor actually bogging down, or does it just begin to stall out in a heavy cut? Are the belts properly tensioned, all there, and not worn down to floss?

If the machine is that old, does it have a big spring in a tube in the center of the drive pully ? If the machine is new to you, most of the time the spring is not at the right length.A spring is not just any spring. I have all the spec's at home. Won't be back for a day or two. You can try to load up the adjustment on the spring. There two pins in the clutch plates, ( drive and driven plates. There are three rollers to climb up to engage the clutches. Then as meation, the pressure.Pichers of the back with door open will help for now.

Adjusted the clutch yesterday. Now able to take a pass at .100 DOC. Before that, .030 was almost at it's limit. Belts are tight and the machine has been sitting in the same place since new. No wiring issues.
Thanks for the PDF John.

Paul

Glad the 75 year old got perked up:D

Adjusted the clutch yesterday. Now able to take a pass at .100 DOC. Before that, .030 was almost at it's limit. Belts are tight and the machine has been sitting in the same place since new. No wiring issues.
Thanks for the PDF John.

Paul

.100? with what, a pie plate sized facemill? Seriously, the #3 at work will pull 1/4" depth of cut on a 6" facemill in mild steel all day long, if you want to shovel the chips. If it's endmills we are talking, I make some parts that are coped to fit a pipe. 2"x1/4" 304 stainless flatbar. I stack eight of them together in a vise, tack welded so they don't move, and side cut a 1 3/4" HSS six flute roughing endmill into it, full depth. The table doesn't even judder and the machine never loads up. Once you figure out what this machine is capable of, you'll realize you'll usually chicken out long before you reach the limits of the machine.

Have to agree with Mike C. on this one. I have a No. 4 and a 1.5" DOC at 1" width in one pass is a non event in 1045 cold rolled. So should be able to really dig much deeper than .100" with no issues.

These No. 4, 5 ,6 plus the vercipower can hog metal. They can do a 1/2 inch cut in some situations no problem, I am on a No. 4 right now that came out of the Navy supplies. This machine still has it scrap marks on it. It is a 1979 make. They crash it over a year ago. I have never seen a cross screw look like a snake. The cross screw bracket was broke off. Ended up cutting out the screw. Some one took a stab at fixing it. The The feedbox was out.The bearing retiner on the cross screw was cut open. The trouble I had was fitting the new parts ( cross screw, cross screw bracket, two blacklash nuts and new bearings in the undersddle bracket ). I didn't feel the customer had to take up the cost on my labor to fit the parts. With those prices and all the parts bought at once, didn't seem right.
All kick outs on 3 axis were bad. Linkage to spindle start was sheared inside the speed shifter bracket.
Good machine with no good attention.

This was with a 6 inch cutter on D2. I did not make the cut. This is what the Toolmaker used to test. No one said it would not take a deeper cut. He did not try to go deeper. The machine has not been used for a long time due to the issue. Time will tell on how deep it will actually cut now that they will use it more.

C Mike

These No. 4, 5 ,6 plus the vercipower can hog metal. They can do a 1/2 inch cut in some situations no problem, I am on a No. 4 right now that came out of the Navy supplies. This machine still has it scrap marks on it. It is a 1979 make. They crash it over a year ago. I have never seen a cross screw look like a snake. The cross screw bracket was broke off. Ended up cutting out the screw. Some one took a stab at fixing it. The The feedbox was out.The bearing retiner on the cross screw was cut open. The trouble I had was fitting the new parts ( cross screw, cross screw bracket, two blacklash nuts and new bearings in the undersddle bracket ). I didn't feel the customer had to take up the cost on my labor to fit the parts. With those prices and all the parts bought at once, didn't seem right.
All kick outs on 3 axis were bad. Linkage to spindle start was sheared inside the speed shifter bracket.
Good machine with no good attention.

Took .250 cut today on rebuilt machine. They only had that size inserts.

Back