What's new
What's new

Need help pricing on Cinci Monoset, #2T&C, and #2 horizontal

mTeryk

Hot Rolled
Hey folks, I'm working at a school that is looking to auction off some older equipment to make room for more modern machinery. These are nice old machines but not something we need to be training students to use as there isn't much need of it by local industry. The policy of the school is that it will be auctioned off through an approved auction site and the purpose of this post is to try and figure out an appropriate starting price. With classes starting, we'd like to see the stuff sold and out of here but any money received will go back into the program so we're not looking to give it away.

I've been on this forum for awhile so I realize that posting this here, rather than in the commerce section is a bit on the line. When the machines get put up for auction, I'll post it over there. Right now I am really just trying to gauge value and starting price. All these machines were working when they were put out of service as far as we know. There is some surface rust but nothing bad. They have been sitting for longer than any of the current teaching staff have been here.

Machine #1 - Cincinatti Monoset Model OE serial number 2D1C1Y-128 (click images for larger pictures)
IMG_20180919_131135880.jpg , IMG_20180919_132704352.jpg , IMG_20180919_131153817.jpg , IMG_20180917_140738407.jpg , IMG_20180919_132554538.jpg

Machine #2

Cincinatti #2 Tool and Cutter Grinder Serial #1D2T1Y-491

This has a Weldon #200 air bearing for sharpening endmills

IMG_20180919_131315029.jpg, IMG_20180919_131331763.jpg , IMG_20180919_131418735.jpg , IMG_20180919_131423905.jpg , IMG_20180919_131439746.jpg

Cincinatti #2 MI Plain Milling Machine—Model OO Serial #2J2P1Z-11

Cincinatti #2 MI Plain Milling Machine—Model OO Serial #2J2P1Z-11
IMG_20180920_085907596.jpg , IMG_20180920_085927257.jpg , IMG_20180920_090003518.jpg , IMG_20180920_090018626.jpg

Thanks for looking I appreciate any input

Teryk

Just found a pallet full of arbors and toolholders for the horizontal. These would be included in the sale.
2e84d8219d21b7de7b837112141160b7.jpg

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Yeah sell off all that junk, aspiring machinists don't need to know how to sharpen tools. Of course the teacher prolly doesn't know how to use them anyway. The Monoset is a wonderful machine, worthless without about a hundred little accessories that are hopefully in the base of the machine. 2500.00 if the small bits are there. I paid 500.00 for mine less small bits. 15 years on I have most of what I need, a bit here and a bit there. Next to impossible to find the stuff.

Yeah sell off all that junk, aspiring machinists don't need to know how to sharpen tools. Of course the teacher prolly doesn't know how to use them anyway.

Disagree that it is junk but I'd agree with the second part of that sentence even though you were being sarcastic. With endmills so cheap and local grinders willing to pick up and return endmills for fair prices, I don't know any shops locally that sharpen their own endmills. We need to devote time, space and money to teaching skills that prepare aspiring machinists to get hired by local shops..... and yes, nobody here knows how to setup and run the monoset.

Teryk

Are there any other wheel arbors in the base. It is real nice to have several of them so you can leave different wheels mounted and dressed. I ran one for a while in a cutter grinding department and would love to have one but the 2,000 mile distance may be a problem. I will keep an eye out for your auction though.

Will you be willing to crate them or will it be strictly pick up and load your own. That makes a huge difference in the selling price.

There was no vertical head listed for the Cincinnati mill so it obviously means you don't have one..right. I wonder if they are 'out there' and if that machine will accept one.

Stuart

Are there any other wheel arbors in the base. It is real nice to have several of them so you can leave different wheels mounted and dressed. I ran one for a while in a cutter grinding department and would love to have one but the 2,000 mile distance may be a problem. I will keep an eye out for your auction though.

Will you be willing to crate them or will it be strictly pick up and load your own. That makes a huge difference in the selling price.
There are a few other arbors. I'll check tomorrow and post details. Talked to the department head and the auction will be As is / Where is. Pretty sure it is both a resource issue with the term starting Monday and an insurance issue.

There was no vertical head listed for the Cincinnati mill so it obviously means you don't have one..right. I wonder if they are 'out there' and if that machine will accept one.

Stuart
Nope, no vertical head

I bought a K&T very similar to the Cincinnati but with a vertical head. I paid $1500 dollars for it and sold it when I left the shop for $2000 dollars. I think that this would be a good benchmark for your machine. No vertical had is a minus but it does have quite a bit of tooling. Horizontals don't seem to be overly popular these days..at IMHO and coming out of a school shop often raises red flags.

Stuart

As an auctioneer ,I can tell you that too high a start kills the auction....Its not where the bidding starts...its where the hammer falls.....You should be negotiating a low/no commission deal with the auctioneer...Where he relies on buyers premiums and addons....If you can generate a bit of excitememnt in the first lots,prices will be double above a pass in/pass in/pass in high reserve sale.Nothing more dismal than a sale where they wont knock anything down.....And dont put silly conditions on delivery,,and have a free forklift for loading at least one day.........if onsite.

FWIW, the work head in photo 5 of the original post looks more like it goes with the #2 than the Monoset. And if it were listed separately at auction, I'd bid on it because my comparable #2 workhead is a rustbucket.

Agree the work head belongs with the #2, Machine worth perhaps $2500..but in a tight auction lucky to get $500.
Monoset worth $3000 perhaps $5000 if in good shape but lucky to get 700 or $800.
Both Tc grinders may not get an open bid..
I think it a good idea to keep one Tc grinder to teach tool sharpening but agree few modern shops shapen cutters.

That is a shame because for a hot or special a TC grinder is worth its space...with beong used for cut-off when not needed for sharpening.

Agree a very nice shop

Last edited:
Found what I think are 7 or 8 spare arbors for the monoset. Also found the motor on the right in the picture below. Thinking it might drive work held between centers?

If it were up to me we'd keep the #2.
59e44a16dd730733284ee072872be80c.jpg

FWIW, the work head in photo 5 of the original post looks more like it goes with the #2 than the Monoset. And if it were listed separately at auction, I'd bid on it because my comparable #2 workhead is a rustbucket.
Thanks for that info. I'll put it with the #2 and look into auctioning it separately.

Back