Need help pricing on Cinci Monoset, #2T&C, and #2 horizontal - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    That must be a really well equipped school. That's a very nice size marking out/ inspection table in the background of one of the shots of the milling machine.

Regards Tyrone.
    It mostly is. Some of the stuff is really nice, but then there are areas like the manual lathes which are a grab bag of mismatched old models. All of them nice at one time but have been used hard by students for many years.

We just moved the entire shop, 10 lathes, 10 Bridgeports, 7 cnc's into a temporary space while they renovate the old space. It ought to be really impressive in about a years time when we moved back in.

Teryk

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mTeryk; 09-22-2018 at 09:55 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mTeryk View Post
    Found what I think are 7 or 8 spare arbors for the monoset. Also found the motor on the right in the picture below. Thinking it might drive work held between centers?

If it were up to me we'd keep the #2.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    All this stuff goes to the Monoset. If you are going to keep one I'd keep the monoset in a heartbeat. It will do 10x the stuff that #2 will. I use mine all the time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'd set the start price at what each is worth in scrap metal.

I can see very little use for the grinders in a school nowadays. Not a very marketable skill to spend your learning time on.
    For a job in the shops that do still run these you learn on specific work so general training is of almost no use.
    A school also would have little use for an Anca or a Walters which replaces these, niche jobs, limited opportunities.

Niffty nice machines and capable of many things but not $80-$120 per hour money makers.
    The problem with an auction is if the right people show up at the right time and I have most certainly seen such equipment in great condition go for scrap price at auctions both on-line and IRL.
    You may get better money by picking a market price and doing the craigslist or e-yuk thing and waiting some time for a motivated buyer.
    Bob

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a #2, and am self-taught at tool grinding from 100-year-old text books and 50-year-old Cincinnati operator's manuals. Means I have about zero experience compared to someone who does/did this as a job, but I got the grinder to support my horizontal mill, not as a profit center of its own, and it's been quite useful sharpening tools and making the occasional tool modification. So a motivated person can at least get to the not-useless novice threshold without formal instruction.

While I agree that school training on tool&cutter grinding isn't going to have direct rewards, I think there's still some educational value to it. It builds an appreciation for compound motions that is increasingly buried in CAM software, teaches what tool rake and relief/clearance are really about, is a precision yet manual activity (I am a believer in true hands-on), and a bunch of other things I can't articulate clearly this evening.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The #2 can be used for Cut-off, straight or at angle so it not a burden for floor space when not used for cutter work.
    Agree for TC work the Monoset can do more varied grinding / The #2 faster for production sharpening and longer work through the work head, between centers or through a bushing for high precision end work.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Did those collets go mysteriously missing?