What's new
What's new

Need a new motor for my Van Norman 6

mookiewilson

Plastic
So it seems the motor that came attached to my VN6 when I got it is dying. Or at least it started smoking and I never date smokers. I'm pretty thrifty in general and I'm hoping to spend less than $300 on it's replacement. Anybody replace theirs in the last few years? Or does anybody like any particular brand? After a short perusing of the interweb it seems I'll have to switch to 3ph which is a bit of a pain in the neck. My motor is 1140rpm I'm sure I could live with 1200rpm, 1 hp, maybe it's a 1" shaft?(I'll have to check that before I hit buy it now). Currently 220v 1ph is at the mill. I have 3ph coming to the room (no where near the mill) not sure what the voltage is (it comes from my landlord) Any advice would be appreciated and thanks in advance.

So it seems the motor that came attached to my VN6 when I got it is dying. Or at least it started smoking and I never date smokers. I'm pretty thrifty in general and I'm hoping to spend less than $300 on it's replacement. Anybody replace theirs in the last few years? Or does anybody like any particular brand? After a short perusing of the interweb it seems I'll have to switch to 3ph which is a bit of a pain in the neck. My motor is 1140rpm I'm sure I could live with 1200rpm, 1 hp, maybe it's a 1" shaft?(I'll have to check that before I hit buy it now). Currently 220v 1ph is at the mill. I have 3ph coming to the room (no where near the mill) not sure what the voltage is (it comes from my landlord) Any advice would be appreciated and thanks in advance.

3-P motors are simpler than 1-P hence last near-as-dammit forever and are low-risk, used.

At 1 or 2 HP, you don't need many Amps on a branch circuit off what the landlord already provides "in the room".

I'd have a 3-Phase 2XX/4XX selectable motor in there in a New York Minute and would doo that even if the whole $300 went to an Electrician to run the drop for it. Or fab an SO cord meself?

Fair chance your on-machine starter and controls are partially-utilized 3-Phase goods already, and not hard to put back to rights. Cheap enough to replace if not.

Back