What's new
What's new

"New" Cincinnati Cinova 80 shutting off after a few minutes

Chemeleon

Plastic
Picked up this great old Cincinnati Cinova 80 vertical mill at an auction a bit over a month ago (along with tons of other stuff I'm still testing and sorting through), and just started getting power to it and seeing how its running. So far, looks to be pretty much fully functional, all spindle speeds are working, high/low, left and right. All power feeds axis and rapids are working smoothly.

The one issue I'm having though, is after it runs for 3-5 minutes (idle or with spindle spinning doesn't seem to matter) it shuts itself off and won't turn back on for a few minutes.

When I got it, it was wired for 440v 3ph, I've switched it back to 240v 3ph - changed the connections on the transformer in the control panel per the diagram, and rewired all 3 motors. I also filled the oil cups and side pipe with gear oil, and the knee with hydraulic oil (maybe too thick? The little bit it already had looked/felt like normal hydraulic oil).

I've not seen anything else that is adjustable or says it should have wires changed as part of switching back to 220v, so I'm guessing there're some overload heaters or some such I may need to swap out?

Serial number is 10J3V5L-1

Thanks all

Attachments

• 20190319_195609.jpg
    20190319_195609.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 102
  • 20190319_195600.jpg
    20190319_195600.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 74
  • cinova2.jpg
    cinova2.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 112
  • 20190319_173031_HDR.jpg
    20190319_173031_HDR.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 71
Yup, you have to change the heaters on the starters. On those starters they're the protrusions on the front outboard sides of the starters. On one starter they're white and round. The others look black and are square. Either style is correct. Note, on this age machine they only used two heaters. Newer machines use three. The sticker shown has the amperage for each motor, it'll be the higher one. Hopefully there is a heater chart in the cabinet or its off to the internet to find one. You'll need the starter brand, style and size. Ebay may be your best bet for the heaters as they've been obsolete for a while, just watch the prices. Bob

Thanks Bob. I'd suspected that's what those white cylinders were since there didn't seem to be any other purpose, but wasn't quite positive. I've not seen any charts listing parts or the like attached here anywhere so far, but the relays are all labeled clearly at least, so research should turn them up. Worst case I could replace the whole relays and still have this thing running for a song.

It came out of an old shop that bought machines, repaired, then resold, but nothing in the auction was marked where on that line it was, and no power available on inspection day, so everything I bought was a bit of a gamble, but so far I've only had very minor repair work necessary - couple bad fuses, replace the motor belts on surface grinder, etc.

Also, if anyone happens to have a manual they could upload/send for this particular model that'd be great. I think I've figured most things out on it, and I've looked over what vintage machinery has (a few similar, but nothing identical) but there's always some small details to be found in the manuals.

Like you said, they're cheap on ebay, all six new ones totalled a whopping $17.49 shipped via ebay, so I should be up and running next week. Now I just have to figure out how I'm going to safely go about getting it inside...

Just put the new heaters on, and everything stays running like it should now.

The one question I seem to have left is about the speed changer on the side of the column. I pull out the silver handle and turn, and tool RPMs change as expected, but theres a ring around the perimeter I can spin that doesnt seem to have any effect on things that I've noticed. Doesnt change RPM, and doesnt appear to change power feed speeds (which are controlled by the dial on the front of the knee). What is that ring supposed to control?

Any chance someone has a manual for this model? vintage machinery doesnt seem to have anything that quite matches, and I expect there may be a few bits of functionality like that dial ring I'm unaware of so far.

The ring is just a quick calculator for figuring spindle RPM. Set one arrow to the cutter diameter and the other to the SFPM you want. The third will point to the RPM to dial in. Bob

Thanks Bob - I was hoping it was something like that, since I couldn't feel anything mechanical moving when I spun it, just never had a machine with a built in helper like that.

Back