What's new
What's new

New K&T 2H Horizontal pics, and help with date of manufacture

gavingear

Aluminum
Just spent the day on Friday with gary s moore picking up a nice fully-functional Kearney and Trecker Model 2H horizontal mill, only 1.5 hours away (HARD to find here in the Pacific NW!). Great day, was able to test the machine under power, all gears/feeds/speeds and rapids work great, clean circulating oil, etc. A very complete machine! Even has the telescoping coolant return pipes in great condition.

I also got a vertical head for it (universal) WITH THE MAGIC 50 TAPER GEAR! The head may need some cleaning up, but am happy to have it. I also got a pedestal grinder and three arbors + a face mill holder with this machine. Very excited to have it. Near term it'll be a production machine, and after I finish repairs on my Cincinnati Cinova 80 307-14, I'll do a nice prep and paint job on this 2H (with automotive acrylic urethane primer/paint).

Wanted to share some pictures, and ask for some help dating this machine: serial # is 73-3651. Appreciate the insights!

IMG_6730.jpg

IMG_6731.jpg

IMG_6737.jpg

IMG_6738.jpg

IMG_6722.jpg

Date of manufacture mystery solved- thanks VintageMachinery.org!

Looks like it was manufactured April 1942, A WWII machine, how exciting! I imagine it may have been used to manufacture parts for the war effort???

K&T Serial numbers.jpg

I imagine it may have been used to manufacture parts for the war effort???

An entirely reasonable assumption

I think in that long list on VM you will also find parts and operation manuals - even lube related pub

Hello: Nice machine! I have the same set up but I think mine was made in '43...Very robust machine that will fill a five gallon bucket full of shavings in no time.. Cheers! Ramsay 1:)

ramsay1- that's a nice 2H! I'm curious what your machine says on the right hand side of the column- looks like "War" or something?

Looks like your head is functional? Was there an issue with the gear or something?

ramsay1- that's a nice 2H! I'm curious what your machine says on the right hand side of the column- looks like "War" or something?

Looks like your head is functional? Was there an issue with the gear or something?
"War finish" as directed by wpb...To save time, many machines did not get the finish that appeals to the eye but the tolerances in production remained the same...This was to save time and probably money....

The drive gear was missing when I got the head.. The head came from another source...I do have a parking bracket which is on there now but it says "2h universal" on it lol...Ramsay 1:)

"War finish" as directed by wpb...To save time, many machines did not get the finish that appeals to the eye but the tolerances in production remained the same...This was to save time and probably money....

The drive gear was missing when I got the head.. The head came from another source...I do have a parking bracket which is on there now but it says "2h universal" on it lol...Ramsay 1:)

OHIO MIKE.. Thanks for the link... I always thought this was done to save resources and time but cutting out filling and sanding would definitely save space and resources that were much needed in that terrible time.. Ramsay 1:)

How interesting. In the 'war finish' K&T picture, those fellows in the white coats must be giants..or the machines are sitting on a lowered floor. I had that same machine, I'm 6'2" and I sure didn't tower over the mill the way the guys in the picture do.

Stuart

Thanks for sharing all of the information guys- this really inspires me to bring my 2H back to an authentic WWII configuration.

Looks like mine was produced just a month before these WAR Finish regulations went into effect! Crazy...

First chips with this mill! With some big prybars, I moved the mill into place, ran a power cord to the machine (I have an American Rotary AI20 industrial RPC) and took some time with Gary S Moore to clean up the spacers on one of the arbors, mounted a 3/8" cutter I found on ebay, and fired things up! All good...

IMG_6800.jpg

gary.jpg

IMG_6795.jpg

How interesting. In the 'war finish' K&T picture, those fellows in the white coats must be giants..or the machines are sitting on a lowered floor. I had that same machine, I'm 6'2" and I sure didn't tower over the mill the way the guys in the picture do.

Stuart

Looking at the pictures they appear to be 1H/2HL machines due to the absence of the overarm hand wheel. Somewhat ironic since most all of the 1H/2HL war production was outsourced to Miehle Printing Press.

Looking at the pictures they appear to be 1H/2HL machines due to the absence of the overarm hand wheel. Somewhat ironic since most all of the 1H/2HL war production was outsourced to Miehle Printing Press.

Early 2h machines were originally without overarm hand wheels.... Overarm hand wheel on 2h started with lot number 2306. I have often wondered what the word "Miehle" meant when it appears in the lot book..My 2hl universal is 4224 and the word appears at the end of the column in the lot book.. Ramsay 1:)

Early 2h machines were originally without overarm hand wheels.... Overarm hand wheel on 2h started with lot number 2306. I have often wondered what the word "Miehle" meant when it appears in the lot book..My 2hl universal is 4224 and the word appears at the end of the column in the lot book.. Ramsay 1:)

I knew the first 2H units didn't include it guess I made an assumption everyone knew that. :o Good to have the lot number for the start.

I did some research sometime back and determined that Miehle in Chicago, IL made the 1H/2HL, Westinghouse in Pittsburgh, PA made 2H units (marked "west" in the lot book) and supposedly Saranac Machine in Benton Harbor, MI was also subbed out work. Not sure what Saranac did if anything but I suspect they may made special order machines.

I knew the first 2H units didn't include it guess I made an assumption everyone knew that. :o Good to have the lot number for the start.

I did some research sometime back and determined that Miehle in Chicago, IL made the 1H/2HL, Westinghouse in Pittsburgh, PA made 2H units (marked "west" in the lot book) and supposedly Saranac Machine in Benton Harbor, MI was also subbed out work. Not sure what Saranac did if anything but I suspect they may made special order machines.

Thanks for the info on Miehle.. As for the 2h made by Westinghouse, I sent the lot numbers for Westinghouse units to Vintage Machinery some time back....I have a very old manual here on the 2h machines and the changes that were made over the years.. That is where the info on the overarm hand wheel came from... Seems we learn more and more about these vintage machines and that is the fun of it..Cheers; Ramsay 1:)

Back