What's new
What's new

New to me 1938 Cincinnati 2MH and some old tooling that I need help identifying.

Dope

Cast Iron
I recently acquired this 1938 model 2MH horizontal mill with the powered toolmaker's overarm. This is huge step up for me, the biggest machine I have ever used is my Bridgeport step-pulley J head. It's already been fitted with two VFDs for the two spindles, as well as controls mounted up on the vertical head. Very handy already!

aXBTZHF.jpg

Yes, it came with that monster 8" Palmgren tilt/swivel vise. Thing must weigh 250lbs.

bnL45hm.jpg

You can see the VFD controls in this shot, the VFDs are in the sheetmetal boxes on the lower right side of the machine.

It came with a bunch of tooling and I'm not really sure what half this stuff is, does anyone care to educate me?

39n9p6c.jpg

This appears to be some sort of quick-change setup for endmill holders, it's got no make that I can find on it. Just says Made in USA and some random numbers.

gBMAIQz.jpg

lUtJNCq.jpg

Absolutely no clue what this thing is. It has 3 small tapped holes on the underside and then a weird slot at the base of the taper.

2oqZCUI.jpg

This looks like some sort of face/shell mill holder?

8QamL51.jpg

uUlKJaY.jpg

EKAV9SY.jpg

Then we have this thing. No clue what it is, it's gigantic and very heavy (~25lbs). It's got a small dial on the side like a boring head would have but I've never seen anything like this. The seller said it was a flycutter but my brain can't wrap around how it must work.

The first one looks like a quick-change system. Any numbers written on it?

The one with the 3 holes is a taper tool holder adapter. The holes were probably added later for a custom tool/job. Clean it up and you may find the type of taper stamped on the side (B&S 9, Morse 4, etc.) They used to make end mills with tapered shanks, but nowadays these come in handy for big drill bits or drill chucks.

The next one is indeed a face or shell mill holder. The diameter of the pilot (round nub in the middle) will be the ticket when shopping for a cutter to put on it.

The last one looks like they mounted a centering chuck in a boring head. It's not a fly cutter.

I've got a Cincinnati 2L which is very similar, but without the toolmakers ram, which really open up the capabilities of an old horizontal like this. The Quick Change holder you pictured will be especially helpful as you can swap small tools without dropping the whole NMTB 50 taper out of the spindle. You just need to figure out what make/system it is and be on the look-out for more holders.

Love the powered overarm mills.

Wondering if last item is a floating tap holder.

Got busy with harvest-swear I’ll get manual sent out soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back