What's new
What's new

New-to-me Hendey 12" Shaper

DirtEmpire

Plastic
I was playing with it a bit last night - it's still on the truck - trying to confirm everything is free. I think it's fair to say it has been light on maintenance for quite a while. A few of the controls are pretty heavy, especially the Tool-slide, stroke adjustment. and I guess oil rate? I haven't yet figured out how run the vertical feed, or rotate the tool assembly.

I'm a little curious where to find the Serial Number; I haven't come across it yet.
I'd love to know the year and if someone could point any documentation on running this machine, I'd appreciate it.

20200927_183546s.jpg

20200927_183601s.jpg

Awesome. This confirms my suspicion of D2. Unless there's binder/lock for it somewhere, it looks like the elevation axis is a bit frozen. ..or at least gummed up.

Awesome. This confirms my suspicion of D2. Unless there's binder/lock for it somewhere, it looks like the elevation axis is a bit frozen. ..or at least gummed up.

Ordinarily you loosen the bolting on both sides before moving up or down, then sock them back down

Not a MACHINING "axis", just a positioning one

Also not uncommon for bevel gear pair to be in horrible condition

Yep, the table Z moves just fine with those loose. I'm afraid the ratcheting mechanism for the tool-slide Z might need some work, depressing the follower by hand, it's definitely not reliably engaging. I'll have to pull that cover/handle off and see what there is to see.

Most likely the tackifiers in the way oils used to lubricate it decades ago when it was in regular use have hardened up. WD-40 everything to loosen stuck parts and then shoot fresh way oil to it.

DirtEmpire:

Texasgunsmith asked me to visit this forum because a member had a question or two about a Hendey Shaper. To provide you with
the history of your shaper and to answer any technical questions, I will need the Serial Number. You will find the four digit number stamped into the right hand column about two inches below the Ram Guideway. Please post the number here or on the Antique Machinery Forum and I will give you any help that I can.

Hendeyman

Thanks muchly. The Serial is 2327.

Here are a few more pictures of some details:

What's the deal with this selector at the top? Center is neutral... and left and right are both engaged feed down? I assumed one side would reverse but it doesn't appear to at the moment.
IMG_8916.jpg

Brazed repair from who knows when. There are a few teeth with some missing material but the pawl looks fairly sharp. Possibly an excuse to get the dividing head out.
IMG_8915.jpg

The whole machine is covered in a thick coat of flaking paint and grime. It took some cleaning to find the Serial number on the column.
IMG_8917.jpg

Note the serial number stamped here too.
IMG_8911.jpg

Does anyone know what the two plugged pipes at the base of the motor about? I see a zerk on the outer bearing/bushing. The thing claims it's a gear motor but if there's a gear reduction it must be pretty slight. The business end spins freely.
IMG_8912.jpg

DirtEmpire:

The following information was taken from the original Order Form: Items in parenthesis are my notations

Order Date: January 16, 1942
Date entered: January 26, 1942 (Shapers were built in lots of 15 to 30 machines, normally requiring six to twelve months)
Serial Number: 2327
Sold to: Curtiss-Wright Corporation,
Curtiss Propeller Division,
Caldwell, New Jersey
Wanted: Priority A-1-a (687)
AN-3269342
Marks: Experimental Department
Sold by: New York
Via: Truck

Description: 12" High Speed Crank Shaper - Gear Box Drive
Regular Equipment (as shown in catalog)

Power Down Feed

Universal Table

Arranged for motor drive complete with 2 HP General Electric
direct connected geared motor for 440 volts, 3 phase, 60 cycles

Furnish and fit Arrow-Hart & Hegeman magnetic starter catalog
#39012 with pilot light & push buttons in cover

NOTE: (The input shaft design speed is 600RPM. The standard 2HP motor furnished with the 12" High Speed Shaper
runs at 1740RPM, the Speed Reducer has a 3 to 1 ratio, producing an Input Shaft speed of 580RPM.)

There are very few Patterns, castings or repair parts left in inventory for these Shapers, but all of the
original drawings are still in the files, so parts can be made if required. I stock original copies of the
Operating Instructions and the foundation Plans (all on one sheet) and original copies of the Parts Book.
If you are interested in any of these items, you may contact me directly at: [email protected]

Hendeyman

Does anyone know what the two plugged pipes at the base of the motor about?

A general practice was to have plugs out while pumping in new at the zerk - the plan being to have the old lube come out and be disposed of - properly of course

New-to-me Hendey 12" Shaper

Nothing against the OP, but there is precedent that shapers belong in Antique forum by ancient decree from on high.

Point being, thread should have been moved instead of calling hendeyman over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Date entered: January 26, 1942 (Shapers were built in lots of 15 to 30 machines, normally requiring six to twelve months)
Serial Number: 2327
Sold to: Curtiss-Wright Corporation,

I suspected it was from the war. Surprising that it ended up in Michigan. Thanks.

Purge plugs in motor: PLEASE properly grease your motor.. Many good motors have been totally ruined by being pumped full of grease......Remove purge plugs....Pump proper grade of grease into grease fittings until you see the same grease as in your grease gun appear at the purge plugs.....Run motor for one minute WITH PURGE PLUGS REMOVED... More grease will come out... Wipe excess grease from purge plug holes then replace purge plugs....DO NOT ADD MORE GREASE....If you do not follow this procedure, you will force grease into the motor windings causing temperature rise and failure of motor... Cheers; Ramsay 1:)

Back